DIY... has anyone done the "The Maxi-Stream Mod" ?

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started following the MJ mod when it was still on its first Page. Then it went through a few updates and now I get confused when reading these threads.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=871507

Well if anyone has done one of these mods can they post their parts and issues they may have had.

Thanks,

Luciano

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did it as a club and few have had luck with long term function on MJ1200's. I haven't tried the 900's yet, but have all of the parts. We used Sch 80 couplings for the shroud, fiberglass rod for the shaft, an airplane prop for the prop, and a piece of acrylic for the center brace. Our pres. made a jig to cut everything...

Mr. Ugly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our club is about to do a group project on these.

We going by the info on:

www.mjmods.com and http://www.reefchili.com/MJmods.html

Some are getting their parts from mjmods, and others are following their procedure but doing their own parts.

I'm planning to do a couple 900s with the Octura 1435 props. I'll be doing version two of the impeller with the full length acrylic tube.

What problems did people have with the 1200's?

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually, one of the guys in my reef club did that. i havent read the theads about the mod, but the guy i know didnt seem to pleased with it. i mean it worked, but was a huge eye sore as it sticks way out into the tank. prob like 6-8" possibly

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't seem to run... We found that there was a mistake made on some of the rigid tubing lengths, but they just wanted to reverse constantly. I couldn't keep an impellor on for any amount of time. I was able to get two of them to work for me (not sure if it was dumb luck, shortening the rigid tubing, or a combination...). One ran normally for about three months, then started constantly reversing. one ran backwards for several months, then broke the rigid tubing just below where the impellor was glued.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back