DIY KZ Coral Snow (with >97% purity)

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, I did a little experiment to see how effective CaCO3 is to sink large particles. In my tank, I can position the wave makers in such a way, that the overflow won't pull particles.
I run like this for 3 days, tank was full of particles and I dosed CaCO3. No noticeable results, as well.

Nothing that wasn't already expected.

matmatoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - great thread! Are there any other DIY recipes for any other KZ/Zeo products?

Thanks!
Matt

jokim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience using this for cyano?

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a preferred time to dose? I thought I read somewhere that the best results are obtained if you dose during/ towards the end of your photoperiod, when algae is actively using nutrients.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect some of the Aquaforest stuff is just variations of or copies of KZ stuff. That being said they also use copper sulphate to bleach the corals for the pastel colors. Someone also tried to explain it as its also supposed to soften the coral to enhance calcium being deposited which speeds growth. They apparently just changed the coral products names but I believe the new name is coral vitality that also contains copper sulphate (new docs don't mention it). The coral build is supposedly the same as coral snow with some additions.

Just now running out of coral snow so going to try the DIY mix. All that stuff is overpriced but I only ever really used snow and pohl's coral vitalizer from KZ. Plus now I use aquaforest amino's, NP Pro and Pro Bio S.

GROSSR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used this DIY product. I met a reefer who said he used the commercial product every day. I have dosed 2 ML in a 46 bow tank. My only issue is my equipment is not happy. The water is clear, not 1 issue with the animals or coral. However, my ATS, is covered in the white stuff, my pumps - a small rio, a bubble blaster 1000 and a eheim 2162 are not happy campers. Blaster 1000 is on my skimmer, and if I turn off the pump it won't start back up. My eheim prefilter was so hard I couldn't remove it without destroying it, covered in a white hard substance. The Rio media pump quits a day or two afterwards. I have to attend to my pumps more than my usual routine.

At first I thought, hey my equipment is old, I haven't dose in a month and the equipment is fine, once, I start dosing again, I begin to have equipment issues. It seems the impellers are the real issue. The heat and this product don't seem to mix well.

Otherwise, the stuff at 1ml every 25 gallons is just fine.

rich

FranklinDattein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used this DIY product. I met a reefer who said he used the commercial product every day. I have dosed 2 ML in a 46 bow tank. My only issue is my equipment is not happy. The water is clear, not 1 issue with the animals or coral. However, my ATS, is covered in the white stuff, my pumps - a small rio, a bubble blaster 1000 and a eheim 2162 are not happy campers. Blaster 1000 is on my skimmer, and if I turn off the pump it won't start back up. My eheim prefilter was so hard I couldn't remove it without destroying it, covered in a white hard substance. The Rio media pump quits a day or two afterwards. I have to attend to my pumps more than my usual routine.

At first I thought, hey my equipment is old, I haven't dose in a month and the equipment is fine, once, I start dosing again, I begin to have equipment issues. It seems the impellers are the real issue. The heat and this product don't seem to mix well.

Otherwise, the stuff at 1ml every 25 gallons is just fine.

rich
I suspect your solution might not have been mixed properly. Mine doesn't do that at all and I know a handful of other people that also don't have the problem.

GROSSR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be, I followed the directions, bought the exact same product on Amazon. I used a highly accurate scale measuring grams and ML. For a 250mL solution, use 5 level tablespoons (roughly 115 grams) of CaCO3 powder and add roughly 230mL of RO/DI water. This should mix right about 250mL.

My test kits are more difficult to figure out. This was amazingly simple.

rich

MikeyAl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back