I think this is illegal in some states!

djd3mon

Reefing since 2016!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll buy some pods from you

They are not ready yet. Trust me, I will have more than I can stand in about a month or two. I will be culturing Tiger pods, Tisbe pods and a couple strains of phytoplankton. Eventually live mysis shrimp and brine shrimp.

OP
OP
ReefNerd76

ReefNerd76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not ready yet. Trust me, I will have more than I can stand in about a month or two. I will be culturing Tiger pods, Tisbe pods and a couple strains of phytoplankton. Eventually live mysis shrimp and brine shrimp.
Keep in touch with me when they are done I will buy some from you

djd3mon

Reefing since 2016!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ossibly like mysis shrimp an
Day 12 - Switched things up to culture larger quantities. (Need to add 2 more 3 gallon dispensers) Copepod population EXPLODING!! Tons of juvenile pods.
day 12.jpg

Where did you find the 3g containers? I've been looking everywhere for those![/QUOTE]

walmart. It was in the "home" section. Once I got close to the coffee pots and cloths hangers it was around the corner

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Creative-Bath-3-Gallon-Beverage-Dispenser-with-Ice-Core/21130892

I was actually looking for a 1-2 gallon large mason jar glass container with spigot for $10...but this will work better.

djd3mon

Reefing since 2016!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my DIY Phytoplankton Culture setup. If you'd like to know more let me know.
1480815187673.jpeg
1480815211391.jpeg

What do you use to sterilize your containers? I use very hot water , the rubbing alcohol. I was thinking of using some of my left over Star San sanitizer. Its safe for beer making so I assume its safe for pods/phyto.
Also what kind of phyto are you using? Nanno, ISO, Tetra?

djd3mon

Reefing since 2016!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use to sterilize your containers? I use very hot water , the rubbing alcohol. I was thinking of using some of my left over Star San sanitizer. Its safe for beer making so I assume its safe for pods/phyto.

Sorry if you mentioned it in the video, I have no speakers here at work. I will watch it when I get off work for sure.

OP
OP
ReefNerd76

ReefNerd76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did mention it in the video but I'll answer it here I use 90% rubbing alcohol to sterilize I also rents them out with very hot water

eleet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ossibly like mysis shrimp an

Where did you find the 3g containers? I've been looking everywhere for those!

walmart. It was in the "home" section. Once I got close to the coffee pots and cloths hangers it was around the corner

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Creative-Bath-3-Gallon-Beverage-Dispenser-with-Ice-Core/21130892

I was actually looking for a 1-2 gallon large mason jar glass container with spigot for $10...but this will work better.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!!!

I've been using 2 liter bottles, but I need something bigger. Currently have 12 bottles going.

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Very nice! I've actually had the same culture of copepods going since early 2004! Here is my most recent harvest. Notice the surface agitation where you can see the reflected light. Tons of egg-carrying adults.

* Make sure to set the video resolution to 1080 so you can see them.

Mallard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys feeding your reef tank with phytoplankton or just the pods? Or is this for breeding?

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
Reef noob here. What exactly is phyto used for? Just feeding pod cultures?

OP
OP
ReefNerd76

ReefNerd76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I've actually had the same culture of copepods going since early 2004! Here is my most recent harvest. Notice the surface agitation where you can see the reflected light. Tons of egg-carrying adults.

* Make sure to set the video resolution to 1080 so you can see them.

How much you have ready to sell? My Cheato Algae needs a good cleaning

OP
OP
ReefNerd76

ReefNerd76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys feeding your reef tank with phytoplankton or just the pods? Or is this for breeding?
I only have phytoplankton right now and dosing my tank with it, but if I had pods too, I'd dose with pods too

OP
OP
ReefNerd76

ReefNerd76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef noob here. What exactly is phyto used for? Just feeding pod cultures?
Phytoplankton is used for feeding rotifers, copepods,ampapods and feeding filter feeding corals and other corals as well

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back