~ DIY Probe Holder Project~

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for those of you that might want to make a Magnetic or even glued in Probe Holder different from what's available (more holes/less holes/different colors etc..)

I wanted/needed to have a 4-hole magnetic Probe Holder that would need for both pieces to be exposed to SW so this is what I did and how I went about it. First off gathering necessary materials which I already mostly had except for nylon screws. I made three because it does not take much longer and knew once completed would have friends say "Hey, where's mine"

Patterning out probe layout on scrap piece of 5/8" then drilling out holes. Cut off piece and drill next one.

Reset Drill Press to bore then tap holes for nylon set screws by hand.

Using some 1-1/4" acrylic rod that I salvaged from a shower grab bar while remodeling my Master Bath I cut to length for this next part.

Then back to Drill Press with matching size mortising bit to fit

These pieces were cut to 5/8" in length to hold 5/8" x 1/2" neo mags, but were first flat sanded and cleaned up a bit along with Probe Holder body.

I then took the clean pieces and placed in the body section for a better/safer hold while boring out for magnets in a round piece of acrylic

One set for each unit after boring I set aside and other I glued in neo-mag then flipped over and glued onto base with Weld-On 16 to fully encase the magnet like this

For the remaining sets I capped off with some 1/8" acrylic sheet (blue) using same #16 then sanded to fit before doing a light polishing with buffing wheel and rouge. Then tested for accuracy of placing magnets in correctly.

Back to top pic as was first installed in my sump showing need for being all water proof because location over baffle. The empty hole location was/is for a Conductivity Probe.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Job I like the magnetic style for holding it in place. As you can put it in areas that a clamp on style wouldn't work.

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Guys, being semi-retired and once a Cabinet/Furniture Maker have both the time and tools for this stuff. Skills if you call it that are just many 100's of hours in a shop and being a bit of a perfectionist. These magnets and most others for many projects I purchased from magnets4sale.com and they have the best selection and prices I have found so far. I originally was referred to them by Marty (mfinn) here on another forum we both belonged to.

Cheers, Todd

​P.S. Josh, I have the time, tools and patience and you have some CRAZY zoas......hmmmmm

Stemick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome Todd. My currant probe holder is zip tie. Works for now. But thinking about building one of these. How thick is the acrylic, what diameter of rod did you use, and did you use ceramic? Thinking about gathering up the stuff to try and build one of these. Might have to come check yours out before I do. I also have a sheet of .25" acrylic that I"m think about making frag racks out of I might use the same magnet design for that to.

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, always nice to be able to build/fabricate exactly what you want for less $'s if you don't include/value your time....lol

Stemick, I stated that the acrylic rod was 1-1/4" and salvaged from a shower towel bar. The other material is/was scrap 5/8" that I machined for the actual probes. I think minimally you'd need 1/2" to be able to tap for the 1/4" nylon screws though you could laminate two or more pieces of 1/4" acrylic flat stock for this to work. If you cannot get a hold of the acrylic cylinder most plastic stores have 1" or larger cubes you could substitute with.

Cheers, Todd

Stemick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Todd for asking facts that are already stated. I just got excited over the pictures and didn't read ALL the fine print haha.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Saw this and thought I would BUMP it! Good stuff!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scigrip 16 should never be used for water tight (or structural) applications.

Here's my DIY probe holder. :D

ac_probe01-300x215.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back