DIY Screen Net Tops: Tips, Tricks, and Pics!

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did your DIY screen net top turn out? Post some pics - we want to see!

Also, we're looking for tips and tricks to help other reefers make the project easier or better, or even improve the end result.

Our tip: use a hair dryer to heat the netting and shrink up any slack, just be careful not to melt it ;)

(You can find our DIY kits here)

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great video and topic! I have wonder this myself many times!

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a heck of a time making a cut-out area like you show above for my QT tank. I could not keep it stable (the plastic corners weren't strong enough to keep it flat against the pressure of the netting near the "wrong-way" corner. I ended up using the plastic flap that came with the glass top I didn't use to cover the area next to the filter in my QT.

I am currently making the top for my new 210 gallon using the BRS netting. I will need to get some pictures made!

SharkLaser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used BRS 1/8" netting and the spline in a DIY frame made of a solid 1/4" thick sheet of acrylic. Works much better on complex shapes and a whole lot stronger.

IMG_2999_zpscgootf2h.jpg
IMG_3003_zpsbiih7z8f.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A good tip is to have a install an area that can be removed for feeding.

Arrecifero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used BRS 1/8" netting and the spline in a DIY frame made of a solid 1/4" thick sheet of acrylic. Works much better on complex shapes and a whole lot stronger.

IMG_2999_zpscgootf2h.jpg
IMG_3003_zpsbiih7z8f.jpg
How did you make that frame? It looks awesome. I've searched where to buy or how to make a similar frame for my 36G bow front but haven't had any luck or even seen an adequate screen net top like yours until now.

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2999_zpscgootf2h.jpg
IMG_3003_zpsbiih7z8f.jpg

What did you use to cut the acrylic and how thick was it?

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lift them for feeding and remove for major work. I cut a hole in the netting, just enough for the auto feeder and HOB filter instead of using additional corners. I would like 45 degree corners though for corner aquariums.

SharkLaser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used my handheld wood router (dewalt 611 to be exact) and a couple of regular wood router bits to cut the frame. Picked up 0.22" sheet of acrylic from Lowes, did some measurements, made some router guides out of scrap plywood and cut two frames like this in about a day around Christmas break. 1/4" router bit to cut the frame and 1/8" bit for the spline groove. I also used 1-1/2" hole saw in a drill to cut rounded corners. The frame is 1-1/4" wide.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the middle of making one waiting for my netting to arrive. I just shaved down the piece of plastic that prevents the corners from going in the wrong way for the reverse turns. It definitely affects stability, so I'll probably add a little superglue to square it up.

James Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joeganja - Does your net cover the whole tank including the area in the back or just the front part? Beautiful tank btw!

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joeganja - Does your net cover the whole tank including the area in the back or just the front part? Beautiful tank btw!

It be impossible to cover the back area where the filtration is with all the probes, skimmer, reactor, wires. It be pointless because nothing could get back there anyways. Thanks btw!
IMG_2638.JPG

James Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought it just looked like it went all the way back from the angle. The one you just posted is more revealing. Thanks!

I think I am going to bite the bullet and buy a kit.

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought it just looked like it went all the way back from the angle. The one you just posted is more revealing. Thanks!

I think I am going to bite the bullet and buy a kit.

It's worth it trust me. Much better than the innovative marine $60 one for the lagoon 25. But get the 1/4 inch netting. It's much better. And if you need the holding clips if it's a rimless.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back