OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually in the planning stages of new sump for my display... I will take a ton of pictures and do the write up here for you guys it's gonna be something real special that no one has done yet...;)

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice... more than a little envious of your sump skills. When incorporating a refugium into a sump design is it better to go with a more square shape than rectangle? The is what I seem to be seeing in plans.

Love the media trays. Looks like that magic happens in the intake compartment and flows to the main sump under baffles?

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Square or rectangle don't matter.... It's more of what fits your needs to be honest... The media trays work great if ya have the room for a long sump so the drawers still open when a skimmers in place... Lately I have been incorporating the media between the baffles for that reason and it works great also...;)

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a silly question Troylee, but is this what you do for a living? Seems like you make an awful lot! In any case, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. I want to really think it through and get it right the first time.

Does the media in the media drawers affect rate of flow very much? Is that something that you need to take into consideration that water flowing through will be slowed down so the surface area needs to be pretty good to make sure that you don't over flow your sump with water coming in from the tank?

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope I build signs for a living.... This is just a hobby for me..;)
This might be a silly question Troylee, but is this what you do for a living? Seems like you make an awful lot! In any case, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. I want to really think it through and get it right the first time.

Does the media in the media drawers affect rate of flow very much? Is that something that you need to take into consideration that water flowing through will be slowed down so the surface area needs to be pretty good to make sure that you don't over flow your sump with water coming in from the tank?

tangboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I had looked at your designs before I redesigned my sump for my 40g rebuild. You have some things that made me think. You do some great acrylic work! Would love to see it in person!

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, SOOOOOOOO envious of your skills. I am in like dire need of a new sump.............. the little 10 gal tank i am using is getting old having to fill it every 3 days. Wish i could build a super awesome sump like you troylee!!!

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice stuff Troy. I've been wanting to experiment with acrylic lately. I built a mesh top for my rimless with acrylic square bar, and was learning along the way. One thing I quickly found out is that I needed more clamps, haha.

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excellent thread Troy...a sump system is something that everybody should consider DIYing,it'll save you a boat load of money and you can get exactly what you want,

in case you're like me and aren't as familiar with acrylic fabrication,here's pics of my plywood sump,I built from left over material from my plywood tank build :D

HPIM3141.jpg

HPIM3142.jpg

HPIM3143.jpg

HPIM3155.jpg

HPIM3190.jpg

HPIM3194.jpg

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Troy we need detailed pics of the fabrication process :) from cutting it on the table saw to cleaning up the edges on the router! Cuz i need help!!! I made a top down box the other day and it's functional... no leaks! but there's a lot of bubbles in my joints and i'm not sure if im getting the edges smooth enough. I'm using Weldon-3 in a bottle, would a syringe be better? Love your work man!!

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know what it is with me but I just get confused when it comes to plumbing a tank. I've working landscaping for my farther in law for 2 years and he's told me that he's never seen someone in 30 years pick up plumbing as fast as i do. could you maybe PM a break down of a complex or even semi complex sump so that I can better understand whats going on. I know i'm asking a lot so no biggie if you can't or dont want too.

btw, amazing work! love the drawers

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple 200gallon sumps to add to the mix haha....these got the works dual 7" socks nice big fuge, probe holders shelves in the baffles to hold carbon or sponges etc....1smile1
63cf3d84.jpg

446556b6.jpg

Jonathan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow do you think you could build me one for my 75 gallon reef tank (money) moneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoney

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back