diy sumps (Troylee's DIY Sumps)

lerchcon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so when clicking on this link, i figired there would be a tutorial on what a sump is, how it works, the best ways to build it, or an instructional as to why we have slits in the shleves or why the drawers are a good ide, or even maybe how big of a pump we need for so many gallons, is there a tutorial that explains to people like me who are new at this just why we need one, or why one is better then a canister filter, or the inner workings of a sump? it would be appreciated. Dont get me wrong i am sure i would love all the hard work that went into the ones show, if i understood just what I am looking at, right now I see a box with somee holes that you can see through. it would kind of be like having someone walk into your house and tell you that you have a beautiful tank, and further that with if he can do it so can i :) we just have no clue what goes into building something or maintaing something if it is not explained in detail. But thanks for sharing

KrautBurner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so when clicking on this link, i figired there would be a tutorial on what a sump is, how it works, the best ways to build it, or an instructional as to why we have slits in the shleves or why the drawers are a good ide, or even maybe how big of a pump we need for so many gallons, is there a tutorial that explains to people like me who are new at this just why we need one, or why one is better then a canister filter, or the inner workings of a sump? it would be appreciated. Dont get me wrong i am sure i would love all the hard work that went into the ones show, if i understood just what I am looking at, right now I see a box with somee holes that you can see through. it would kind of be like having someone walk into your house and tell you that you have a beautiful tank, and further that with if he can do it so can i :) we just have no clue what goes into building something or maintaing something if it is not explained in detail. But thanks for sharing

+1

I was curious about ideas for my own DIY sump

Scomstock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+2 I'm also looking for a detailed instruction on how to build a DIY sump... What materials to buy, and how to glue and cut acrylic... I have a 29Gal setup that i want to add a sump filter to (without drilling the tank) ... I'm just wondering if its something i could do or not

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry guys i didn't have time to take millions of pics but this is a cool one i just built for a friends.... has a fuge down the whole front so it will look really nice with all the crap behind it...;)
fdd62636.jpg

a46df629.jpg

1440dfd4.jpg

51fc6fd5.jpg

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious if you use welds #4 or what and were do you get it. I want to biuld a sump for my new 150 but don't know were to get the glue.

dallas reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that design Troy. I'd like to see that in use. Would you build and ship? :D

Edit:: some reason I couldn't see the action pics before I posted

five O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm lucky enough to own a TroyLee custom built tank. They are very nice. The quality is up there with tanks 4 times their price.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious if you use welds #4 or what and were do you get it. I want to biuld a sump for my new 150 but don't know were to get the glue.
Yes I use Weldon 4, I get mine from the plastic shops.. Try your yellow pages under plastic suppliers or plastic manufacturing... If no luck there plenty of places online have it such as tap plastics, mcmaster Carr, eBay etc... If you can avoid the online stuff it cost more to ship it then it will in a store..:tongue:

Reefer83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 1/4 inch cool for a sump/refuge 36"x17"x17" with euro bracing? do the baffles add support / strength to the sump. I know the rule for aquariums, anything over 12" - 18" has to be 3/8". But with euro bracing and baffles can I skip 3/8 and save some money and go with 1/4"?

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is 1/4 inch cool for a sump/refuge 36"x17"x17" with euro bracing? do the baffles add support / strength to the sump. I know the rule for aquariums, anything over 12" - 18" has to be 3/8". But with euro bracing and baffles can I skip 3/8 and save some money and go with 1/4"?
I would rather see 3/8" personally but 1/4" would get you by.... And yes the baffles add strength to it...

Reefer83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Ordered some 1/4 acrylic last week. Got it all drawn up and ready just waiting on the sheets to get here. If it turns out good I'll post some pics. Should be a fun project.

likemike99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that design with the fuge in front. makes it look alot cleaner

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely nice fab work in all these pics, Troy!

Still not enough DIY info backing up the eye candy, tho! ;) ("sumps 101" has me thinking classroom more than photogallery)

Pls talk some about Why's and Wherefor's! Lots of us aren't going to get into acrylic without some more insight into the process. Some examples... I know there are several grades of Weldon - from thick to thin - that are common, each with its particular use...but I don'thave a clue what/when those uses are! :) I've also read that in a lot of ways acrylic works just like wood - can be cut and drilled with the same tools, but are there some gotchas or significant/intersting differences with woodworking you could share? Wood can be burned by a saw/blade running too fast - is this really bad in working with acrylic? I'd imagine so, but what do you do to account for/prevent it?

Just a few ideas that I know I'd like to hear more about. :)

I'd even love to hear about (and see pics) of sumps that didn't work out and why. I love my failures due to the education involved, in kind I'd appreciate a chance to see others' as well.

On another front, has anyone else come up with interesting plumbing solutions to the problems baffles supposedly target - mostly de-bubbl-izing your drain water, along with a myriad less crucial secondary goals - and been able to do without baffles completely?

I've never felt compelled to buy or make a "standard sump" using baffles (seem to take up a lot of space for the benefit they bring) yet I'm pretty obsessive about having a silent, salt-spray-free sump/sump area and minimal/no bubbles reaching the tank. Wondering - am I solo on this?

-Matt

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely nice fab work in all these pics, Troy!

Still not enough DIY info backing up the eye candy, tho! ;) ("sumps 101" has me thinking classroom more than photogallery)

Pls talk some about Why's and Wherefor's! Lots of us aren't going to get into acrylic without some more insight into the process. Some examples... I know there are several grades of Weldon - from thick to thin - that are common, each with its particular use...but I don'thave a clue what/when those uses are! :) I've also read that in a lot of ways acrylic works just like wood - can be cut and drilled with the same tools, but are there some gotchas or significant/intersting differences with woodworking you could share? Wood can be burned by a saw/blade running too fast - is this really bad in working with acrylic? I'd imagine so, but what do you do to account for/prevent it?

Just a few ideas that I know I'd like to hear more about. :)

I'd even love to hear about (and see pics) of sumps that didn't work out and why. I love my failures due to the education involved, in kind I'd appreciate a chance to see others' as well.

On another front, has anyone else come up with interesting plumbing solutions to the problems baffles supposedly target - mostly de-bubbl-izing your drain water, along with a myriad less crucial secondary goals - and been able to do without baffles completely?

I've never felt compelled to buy or make a "standard sump" using baffles (seem to take up a lot of space for the benefit they bring) yet I'm pretty obsessive about having a silent, salt-spray-free sump/sump area and minimal/no bubbles reaching the tank. Wondering - am I solo on this?

-Matt

Some of the answers to your questions can be found in this thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/56542-acrylic-101-a.html

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back