DIY Tank Questions.

Grimreaperz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to build a 50-65ish gallon tank....and I want it to be Shallow! Max 15inch

I was thinking 33x33x15
Or 36x36x12

...can I just get the glass cut to shape silicone and good to go? Never built a tank before....should I spend the extra money and go acrylic?

What thickness would I need for something this size?

If it was glass would I need to brace it somehow?

Sorry just want to start doing my research on the details before I dive into this build.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple of videos out on YouTube about construction. It am planning on DIYing my entire next system, just to do it and this includes build my first tank. From what is have read use the best silicone possible, and a good class company would be the on for information on the thickness of glass to use. If I were to say the minimum I would use would be 3/8.

OP
OP
Grimreaperz

Grimreaperz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks for the info! I am nervous about drilling glass but I am sure if I take it slow should be okay! I'll watch some YouTube!

I am also leaning towards the DIY everything....stand etc...built my last Stand and definitely could improve my next one! Love the DIY stuff

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks for the info! I am nervous about drilling glass but I am sure if I take it slow should be okay! I'll watch some YouTube!

I am also leaning towards the DIY everything....stand etc...built my last Stand and definitely could improve my next one! Love the DIY stuff

Find me when you build your next stand, or post a thread asking about a stand build and mention me and I will help you out with the design of the stand. As far as the drilling, I do not blame you. There are several threads here on drilling a tank and that also looks pretty straight forward. One can always do a practice drill with scrap piece of glass to get the feel.

OP
OP
Grimreaperz

Grimreaperz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find me when you build your next stand.

Definitely will do....
As far as the drilling that's exactly what I was planning to do! Is it bad to have such a shallow tank with most lights? I don't want to build this and then regret it due to all lights just blasting....I do have room to mount high but want a nice look too lol....I have started a "Show me yours" thread for DIY T5/LED Hybrids.....very interested very very....just don't have the knowledge quite yet!

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple of on here that have built there own lights, I would head over to the here and start throwing out questions if have not all ready. In my signature there is a link to a thread comparing LEDs and T5s

Back