DIY Wicked cheap dosing system

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
All you need is an empty water bottle
puncture a tiny hole in the bottom with a utility knife (test how fast it drips with tap water)
Fill with whatever you want to dose aquarium slowly with
Set bottle on edge above aquarium or sump and let drip slowly until empty.

I use this for maintaining my alkalinity and it works great. I know it might seem stupid and simple but figured I'd share it for people who might want a cheap alternative to dosing pumps.
Happy Reefing

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A classic! :) :)

However, I had better luck cutting down a container with a bigger lid (an orange juice bottle in my case) and turning it upside down. The lid is then a nice base which I tap and push in a short piece of some hard tubing + airline tubing + a valve to control flow.

I dosed my stony reef for years with this setup.

As cheap as automatic dosers have become (<$30 per head), I still recommend anyone serious about stony corals to get one sooner or later.

OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A classic! :) :)

However, I had better luck cutting down a container with a bigger lid (an orange juice bottle in my case) and turning it upside down. The lid is then a nice base which I tap and push in a short piece of some hard tubing + airline tubing + a valve to control flow.

I dosed my stony reef for years with this setup.

As cheap as automatic dosers have become (<$30 per head), I still recommend anyone serious about stony corals to get one sooner or later.
I was thinking about doing that with the water bottle but just have to build a good hanger for it when my crazy busy schedule slows down. I used to run a airline tube from a container with sodium bicarbonate solution down into my my sump which I put one of those drip valves at the end of the airline. It started to get annoying setting this up every other day so that's how this lazy mans contraption was born lol.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not bad! Now if you want a little control over your drip rate, use an old infusion set....with that wheel-valve...then you can easily increase of decrease the drip rate.

207_0.jpg

ModuFloValves.jpg

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Topfin airline valves (in my photo) are my main go-to (after testing all the common ones) and should be cheap and easy to find. Very good adjustment range. Easy to adjust. The right angle orientation actually makes them easier to adjust in my scenario, as well as making the drip rate a bit more apparent.
Top Fin Airline Valve.jpg

I did have a valve like RedFish pictured with my AquaMedic 1 liter Aqua Doser I used at work and it seemed OK.

I still think the best valve for airline is the Flow-Rite PV-2, but I'm not sure it would be justified in every scenario. It costs as much as two bags of Topfin valves. :)

I keep one around just in case, but I admit it hasn't gotten much use...it was too hard to adjust on my drip setup, and didn't seem quite as adjustable in a fine grain as the Topfin. It does have the advantage of repeatable settings since it's all calibrated.

jmerideth1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks pretty simple and affordable. I have really got the reefing bug right now but don't have the money too start up a system. Some of the set-ups I've seen cost more than my car!!

Scopulum Zombie

Unconventional reefing without regret.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks pretty simple and affordable. I have really got the reefing bug right now but don't have the money too start up a system. Some of the set-ups I've seen cost more than my car!!

Keep an eye on craigslist. I have bought most of my gear for about 500 in total. I have a 125 gallon display/75 gal fuge/55 gal sump. Lots of good deals as people tear down systems.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I poke a hole near the bottom of a water bottle, push some airline through, seal it up with super glue and add a tap on the end. Very similar idea :)

Bonus tip! Screw a bicycle water bottle holder into the inside of your stand to hold the doser in place :)

OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I poke a hole near the bottom of a water bottle, push some airline through, seal it up with super glue and add a tap on the end. Very similar idea :)

Bonus tip! Screw a bicycle water bottle holder into the inside of your stand to hold the doser in place :)
Nice bonus tip, that's pretty sweet

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool idea for sure especially if your on a budget. But what happens when you are away on holiday ? Bigger containers ?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool idea for sure especially if your on a budget. But what happens when you are away on holiday ? Bigger containers ?

Bigger containers works really well, however if you're going away for a while, you may need someone you trust with your tank to test the water and refill them. The dripping doesn't last too long.

If you fill up several bottles, could you store them in a cupboard for a friend to switch? Will alk additives go bad if mixed with RO but not used right away?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool ideas!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used all these DIY ideas over the years they all work. You just have to keep an eye on all the valves that adjust your drip rate. After years of using these methods I now use GHL dosing pumps and I have made my life easier. [emoji3]

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back