Do you dose Iodine?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am debating on starting to dose Iodine, I have some Lugols solution but it highly recommends not dosing unless you have a test kit and I don't have one. I have been told that the Iodine test kits aren't very accurate and there aren't any decent one's that are affordable. Is this true?

In the past I have had troubles with my clams that I can't put my finger on the cause, and I am thinking it was because of the lack of Iodine in the system.

jonzee2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do dose iodine and my clams and zoas seem to be reacting well to it. I don't have a test kit but I do know that salifert makes one and they've been on the money for me in the past so I would say give them a try as far as test kits go.

PR_Reefers

Reefer 4 Life!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, iodine does get depleted rather quickly from your tank, specially in heavily stocked tanks! however the safe way to go would b to start with half the minimum dose when using any product for the first time... try to observe any effects over the course of the first weeks... adjust from there

nikesb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i remember reading an article that lugols would not be the best of choice when it comes to dosing iodine because of the form it comes in. nevertheless, ive been dosing half the recommended dose on the lugol's instruction and it seems to be helping my blue acros

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says right on the package that they don't recommend dosing with it, it is so concentrated that it can raise your Iodine too quickly. The main reason I got it for was doing dips after fragging.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I've dosed iodine using Sprungs brand at near recommended and burned the crud out of a bunch of my acro colonies, so I'm real hesitate to dose too much of anything containing high levels of iodine or iodide.
I've dosed a bottle of Kent's iodide before, but could never keep any decent level of iodide in the tank, still trying to find a good way to dose it. I use a salifert kit to measure levels, and besides the time I caused the burn, it's always shown 0's for results, so not sure how to go about raising iodide level at this point in a safe way.

I use lugols as a dip, but have switched to buying Providone solution cause it's same stuff and muuuuch less expensive, but I only use it for a dip and wouldn't trust it to dose with.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what does iodine do? As far as corals go? I thought it was a bacteria killer sort of thing?

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose iodine (Lugol's) but only during my current light change. I switched to T5's and was basically preparing for the worst, in terms of bleaching. I luckily had very little bleaching.. I hope lugol's was of some help for it. Now that the switch has finished.. I will stop dosing Lugol's. I believe RHF made valid points in his experiments, and has convinced me to live without it. And this comes from a softy reefer! :wink:

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about trying it to help my tank, but then again, I'm all about experimenting with stuff in my tank. I log dosages, and keep a close eye on the reaction to it from my corals and fish. I've done this for many supplements and its worked out great. Some made a big difference, but some didn't.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never dose anything I can't test for. The Salifert iodine test is accurate, and lugals is extremely concentrated as stated so be very careful. My iodine was low, so I added 1/4 the recommended dosage to my 60gal, and it went from no reading to potentially lethal concentrations. I did water changes daily for a week to get it back down to accepted levels. Iodine is a trace element, if you suspect it is being depleted, I would increase the frequency of your water changes rather than dosing. Just my $.02 worth.

Michael7979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose iodine.
But I dose half the amount that is suggested. With WCs you should be introducing some if your salt is a good salt.
But I do it as a extra because I had some shrimp that didn't molt well and died. Was told by LFS that iodine would help and since I have not had the problem again.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Logals if more for dipping, im not sure and i think some one said it above me its more for dipping. I use bright wells, evan though there the same brand right?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've heard Iodine helps blues, where Potassium helps reds come out. Any experience with Potassium Troy, don't you dose it as well?

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've heard Iodine helps blues, where Potassium helps reds come out. Any experience with Potassium Troy, don't you dose it as well?

When using Zeo you are suppose to dose it regularly. I am but I don’t think my zeo system is mature enough to see the real rezualts.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting! I have always gone by the do more water changes and the new salt water will keep the trace elements such as Iodine in check. I may have to get a Salifert test and see what is going on in my tank.

Reef Keeper 18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't..... Should I? I don't even test it. The "coral" guy at my lfs told me It isnt neccesary and to just bring a water sample monthy and get a baseline test on my water.... He said its something that rarely gets testing like Nitrite and told me the test kit is almost useless. Said He thinks its a waste of money and I'm better off not worrying about it

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back