Do you dose Iodine?

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been dosing regularly for some time now but don't test which has always made me a bit nervous. i dose at a level that is far less then the recommended and really can't say whether it helps or not - basically just going off the recommendations of others as to the need hmmm i may quit though because i am really wanting to get back to the basics in all areas

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to dose iodine regularly... at a rate of 1/2 of the recommended dose of Kent's Lugols (making sure I didn't overdose). I wouldn't say the results were outstanding, but there were some improvements I noticed in a few of the soft corals in the tank at the time (the tank was softies and basic LPS then). I've stopped dosing iodine for the time being, but will likely start up again since I won a couple bottles of iodine addtives at some local club functions.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read in this thread the iodine test kits are inaccurate and no body concured with that is it true?

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine is quickly depleted in the aquarium from algaes, skimming, GFO & Carbon, etc... I dose a couple of drops daily to my 100g DT (between 2-4 drops depending on how everything looks). I have never tested for it, never even bought a test kit to test it, and have been dosing iodine daily for years, total WV= 160ish. My tank is a mixed reef with the only softie's being zoa's. With Kent Lugols, I noticed my blue's popped much more. With Brightwells Lugols the blues don't pop so much, but still a good product bc I can just dose potassium to help the blues. The only time I don't dose Lugols (or anything else) is on the days I do WC. Just pay close attention to your livestock.

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read in this thread the iodine test kits are inaccurate and no body concured with that is it true?

I've always been told they aren't very accurate, but I've never actually tried one myself. I'd like to know more as to why they are inaccurate though.

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was once told that this was supposed to be replaced with your monthly water changes. I was also told that it is a fine line between dosing to much and causing problems. so I never had I have also never checked for it. How much do test kits run anyway?

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah so I completely stand by my other post. What is Iodine good for and how do you dose it/test it?

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine is a trace element that is found in sea water, it is generally believed that too high of a level can be toxic, but the exact level of toxicity is unknown. It is taken up by a number of different marine organisms including plankton, macroalgae, invertebrates, and some corals. Levels that are too high has been proven to cause excess molting in ornamental shrimp resulting in a soft exoskeleton and eventually death. It is measured at this time by using test kits; most of which are very complicated, and many of which are not very accurate.

Here's links to several very informative articles.

Reefs.org: Where Reefkeeping Begins on the Internet - What is a Trace Element and Why Should You Care About Them?

http://advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/april2003/chem.htm

HTH

Michael7979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine is something that all salts have in some amount.
And yes there is not an exact number stated, like nitrites, atleast that I have ever seen.

And I have heard you need a scientific grade kit to test it properly.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back