Dodged a bullet?

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a mysis eating Copperband from a lfs that looked very healthy. The store uses a small amount of copper in their systems. The fish looked clean and displayed zero signs of stress or sickness.

Before I went to the store I set up a tank for TT method, I use this on all my new fish and my display has been ick free for three years.

I brought the fish home and for some reason I acclimated him to my display and plopped him in.... stupid stupid stupid! The next day when I came home from work I saw three spots on a fin.... luckily I was able to net the fish without much difficulty and place him in my TT tank.

Ok..... visible signs of ick stay on the fish for 3-7 days before they release.... he was in my tank for under 24 hours. I didn't use any bag water, poured the fish in a strainer and then into tank.

How long before I know if I dodged a bullet?

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is the slight possibility that Ich released from the fish during the short time it was in your DT. In order to be truly confident you "dodged a bullet" you would have to wait out the fallow period of 76 days.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a mysis eating Copperband from a lfs that looked very healthy. The store uses a small amount of copper in their systems. The fish looked clean and displayed zero signs of stress or sickness.

Before I went to the store I set up a tank for TT method, I use this on all my new fish and my display has been ick free for three years.

I brought the fish home and for some reason I acclimated him to my display and plopped him in.... stupid stupid stupid! The next day when I came home from work I saw three spots on a fin.... luckily I was able to net the fish without much difficulty and place him in my TT tank.

Ok..... visible signs of ick stay on the fish for 3-7 days before they release.... he was in my tank for under 24 hours. I didn't use any bag water, poured the fish in a strainer and then into tank.

How long before I know if I dodged a bullet?
The issue is that the visible signs of ich stay for 3-7 days. Low levels of copper can keep ich from growing large enough to become visible, but they are still dropping off and reproducing at a much lower rate. In reality, you may never know if your tank became infected. It could take a month or 2 for the ich to reproduce enough to cause readily visible symptoms and by that time your fish may develop an immunity due to the slow exposure rate.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is that the visible signs of ich stay for 3-7 days. Low levels of copper can keep ich from growing large enough to become visible, but they are still dropping off and reproducing at a much lower rate. In reality, you may never know if your tank became infected. It could take a month or 2 for the ich to reproduce enough to cause readily visible symptoms and by that time your fish may develop an immunity due to the slow exposure rate.

I agree 100% The only way you can be totally sure, is if you go fallow. Unless you have acanthurus tangs, the odds of your fish showing symptoms soon are low.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... even if the fish never shows symptoms it is recommended to take all my fish out of the display for 72 days? This sounds a little extreme if my fish do indeed stay healthy.

I wonder what Paul Baldassano would advise?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... even if the fish never shows symptoms it is recommended to take all my fish out of the display for 72 days? This sounds a little extreme if my fish do indeed stay healthy.

I'm saying if you want to be totally sure that ick isn't present, that's what you would do. I'm not saying you have to, or even that it's recommended.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be the extreme measure to take but it is the only way you could be reasonably sure you don't have ich in your system.

I wonder what Paul Baldassano would advise?
I'm guessing he would tell you to relax, drink some Grand Marnier, and look at supermodels :p

I think it really depends on where you want to be long term. If you do want some highly susceptible fish like acanthurus tangs I would probably advise taking your tank fallow. Otherwise, it becomes a much harder decision. Odds are you will be fine if you don't take your system fallow. Especially if you use high quality frozen or live food. The other fear would be a tank crashing type event like a failed heater but again, that could kill the fish outright and make any ich in your system irrelevant.

PaulB runs a very unique system. I'm not sure how much of his success (or method) can be attributed to his reverse flow UG filter. I personally believe that much of his success comes from running ozone in his skimmer. This will kill any parasites that get pulled into his skimmer and help keep their populations down. He also purposely adds sick fish and "muck" that he harvests locally. This is an important concept because if a fish isn't exposed to a parasite for 6 months it will lose much of it's built up resistance. And then, of course, is the fact that he feeds so much live food. His fish are just much healthier than the average hobbyists. The fantastic thing about his system is that he can take a fish with velvet or ich, drop it into his DT, and have a pretty good chance it will live. Not only will his ozone help keep the parasite numbers down, but the parasites will also be diluted by trying to feed on his immune fish. I feel this dilution helps prevent the sick fish from being exposed to lethal levels.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it boils down to risk. I do have a sailfin... if he/she shows symptoms then I may just QT my fish and upgrade to a 180 like I have wanted to for a while now.

I wonder how many of us have QT'd every single thing put in their tank including inverts, chaeto etc.? If not, there's always a chance of ick, isn't there?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it boils down to risk. I do have a sailfin... if he/she shows symptoms then I may just QT my fish and upgrade to a 180 like I have wanted to for a while now.

I wonder how many of us have QT'd every single thing put in their tank including inverts, chaeto etc.? If not, there's always a chance of ick, isn't there?
Inverts and coral both are a very real risk. Chaeto, not so much since it doesn't have hard surfaces for ich to attach to. I think this is why it is good husbandry and great feeding practices are so important. They are the safety net for when we don't get QT correct.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a sailfin... if he/she shows symptoms then I may just QT my fish and upgrade to a 180 like I have wanted to for a while now.
Not sure how I missed this. You have an excellent "canary" in your coal mine. If it doesn't show symptoms you are in pretty good shape.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back