Does hydrogen peroxide clear the water? Wow!

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just dosed about 25-30 ml of 3% pure undiluted hydrogen peroxide in order to kill hair algae and I think I discovered some awesome side benefits. It seems like my water is crystal clear now. I was away from my tank for about 6-8 hrs and just turned my lights on to see how the algae was doing and my water is sparkling clear. Could this be due to the hydrogen peroxide that was dosed in my tank? I basically got a small dropper and squirted roughly 25-30ml on my rocks covered in hair algae into a 75g tank. Any ideas?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it will oxidize some organic matter, which may help clear the water.

Bear in mind, however, that it does the same thing to exposed organism tissues, such as gills.

Last edited:

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you talking about? I think I know when my water is clearer.
I'm sorry and I didn't mean to say or infer you don't know when your water is clearer.
water clears up by cyano and algae dying off with lights out.
that's all.
sorry if was taken the wrong way.

OP
OP
Maximus

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guarantee that the water cleared up in under 8 hrs. Believe me, I couldn't believe it myself but I may have overdosed peroxide on my 75g tank to achieve this. So far I've had no deaths and everything looks great. Unfortunately the algae is still there so I don't think there was enough contact with the peroxide.

OP
OP
Maximus

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha that's an inside joke between myself and a buddy of mine. I am definitely a carnivore!!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
details: yes the peroxide is directly chemically responsible for a quick clarifying effect. whether or not that's prudent, safe or a great long term plan is the debate

report back in 24 hrs what color is the gha and did non targets die. I'll link this thread to what will soon be a peroxide study thread here at r2r good or bad outcome we can use your tanks valuable feedback.

dosing peroxide is optional, but when chosen its better to use every method before trying topwater dosing.

can you post a before pic real quick before the gha turns

lots of peer reviewed stuff is in Google scholar regarding the use of perchlorate, potassium and other clarifiers in limnology. Extrapolate to a reef tank if fitting, if not it was the lights out :)

Last edited:

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you give me some more info about the Oxydator? After you pour the peroxide into it, what does it do? Thanks.
You get the Oxydator for your size tank. It can be placed anywhere in your tank or sump. You use a solution of 6% Hurdrogen Peroxide. I buy bottles of 35% and dilute to 6%. Pour into Oxydator with the catalyst a small piece of ceramic material that lasts for ever. So don't lose it.:) You will see small bubble coming out that is the chemical reaction. The hydrogen peroxide in the Oxydator will last for two weeks. Fill and repeat.

[video=youtube_share;fYlsDifpPLE]http://youtu.be/fYlsDifpPLE[/video]

[video=youtube_share;IUZHW-L_urw]http://youtu.be/IUZHW-L_urw[/video]

[video=youtube_share;YNJwXPgvmXM]http://youtu.be/YNJwXPgvmXM[/video]

[video=youtube_share;h5K2L4ifMEk]http://youtu.be/h5K2L4ifMEk[/video]

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get the Oxydator for your size tank. It can be placed anywhere in your tank or sump. You use a solution of 6% Hurdrogen Peroxide. I buy bottles of 35% and dilute to 6%. Pour into Oxydator with the catalyst a small piece of ceramic material that lasts for ever. So don't lose it.:) You will see small bubble coming out that is the chemical reaction. The hydrogen peroxide in the Oxydator will last for two weeks. Fill and repeat.

FWIW, I don't think the effect of the oxydator will be the same as simply adding the same amount of hydrogen peroxide. It is intentionally breaking most of the H2O2 down into normal O2 to oxygenate the water, not providing the oxidizing power of the hydrogen peroxide itself everywhere in the tank to degrade organics. :)

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I don't think the effect of the oxydator will be the same as simply adding the same amount of hydrogen peroxide. It is intentionally breaking most of the H2O2 down into normal O2 to oxygenate the water, not providing the oxidizing power of the hydrogen peroxide itself everywhere in the tank to degrade organics. :)
But.... but... everything is better with the oxydator! ;)

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It does Randy I am sure you have used the device since it has been a part of aquarium keeping since the 60's.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if Randy has ever used an oxydator at any time even as a free demo imb shocked.

They are part of the German aquarium scene since the 60s

that being said I think any use of an oxidizer in tank is interesting just to track the interactions with the life in the tank

all equipment we use is optional even down to using lights at all, every single aspect of marine tank keeping is an assemblage of options and then we / try and press them on others, its the way tank science evolves :)

I'll tell you this, breeders of competition level ultra sensitive params bee shrimp that sell for a grand or better use them, trend or not some of the most delicate shrimps around do well with them which didn't make them a requirement but is a statement again that oxidizer use is common and decades established and in this case they've pretty much removed every damaging aspect of peroxide use, I tracked across many forums including international ones using Google xlator threads involving the oxyadator and noted not one negative aspect

we do have some negatives shown in dosing 3%.

search German YouTube planted tanks to see, the ones where no English is spoken or written in any comments, dig
I got there by links from German planted tank forums.

the saturation levels of o2 in a jacked planted tank are routinely above 100%, isn't it amazing Randy that the additional output of the of the oxydator hasn't pushed things past a toxic level? perhaps at standing tank pressures it would simply not be an issue

Last edited:

shecter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres a rock i treated with zoas on it. first pic is right before treatment. second is the next day. and the third is a week after treatment.

no loss besides some pods that were in the algae. ive been dosing 1 ml of 3% h202 per 10 gallons for a month or so now and have had great results so far. im not responsible for others results. just wanted to share a little of my experience.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back