Don't start a siphon with your mouth...

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to point out the man was 70 years old. Bacterial infections among the eldest of us are actually pretty common given the condition of their immune systems at that age. As Renee pointed out, its really no worse than swimming at the beach. Again, the immune system. ;)
Food for thought, thought for food!
Oh good thing I was worried I am only 25, oh maybe I miss calculated that a little

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of these to start my siphon... as I'm only using it to "remove" water, it's not a big deal to me that it has copper fittings.
s633844294780929184_p17_i1_w2560.jpeg

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Delta1389 Your already carrying the most common source of Nec Fasc. Not sure how common Vibrio is in our reef tanks but not a common cause of Nec Fasc. Do not fear your tank!

This is a really interesting medical case report, but is absolutely NO reason for anyone to change their current practice.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Delta1389 Your already carrying the most common source of Nec Fasc. Not sure how common Vibrio is in our reef tanks but not a common cause of Nec Fasc. Do not fear your tank!

This is a really interesting medical case report, but is absolutely NO reason for anyone to change their current practice.

I definitely won't be changing my habits. I'll be doing my water change tonight creating a siphon with my mouth lol.

Isolated "freak accident"

My Magnesium tastes low.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Towel over the end of the tube helps to avoid the water in your mouth. Pretty simple trick, but the bacteria that sits in the tube for a while is the worst thing to inhale, it feels like you inhaled exhaust air from the skimmate cup :confused:

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know if you fill the large gravel cleaning attachment with tank water, and then raise it above the water level (like a full glass of water) it will automatically start the siphon for you. Then you plug the end once it starts and stick the gravel cleaning end back in the water and start siphoning.
Seriously it is really that easy! No mouthfuls of water EVER!

(Drinking saltwater makes you crazy)

Those bulb things restrict the flow.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If we dont risk out lives during a water change we arent reefing....

And base jumpers thought their hobby was dangerous? Pfffft

^^Best Post of the Thread award right here!^^

He aspirated some of the solution, bacterial infections are quite common with aspiration.
The danger is definitely something to take notice of.
Will I still siphon using that method, yup as I have been doing so for over 30 years, and yes periodically I am not paying attention and get some solution in my mouth. I am more concerned about the toxins released by zoanthids and palys that I have been manipulating when cleaning a system.

It's no riskier than swimming.

+1 to @Tahoe61 and @Lionfish Lair. Not to downplay what happened here, but siphon by mouth is not REALLY all that dangerous (unless you inhale the water...but that's usually bad anyway...) :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back