Dosing Copper?

Diazreeflife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently in quarantine process for a new fish male blue throat trigger. I'm dosing prazipro just to be safe. I was told to also dose copper which I have cupramine, I haven't dosed this yet. I wanted to hear ur thoughts on dosing copper for no apparent illness and just because it's a new fish? Also if u do dose cupramine during Quarantining of a new fish what's ur regimen?

David

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not prophylactically treat with Cupramine (or anything else, besides Prazi-pro). I just keep the new fish in QT for 6-8 weeks. I do two rounds of Prazi-pro usually 2 weeks after the fish has been in QT (make sure they are eating well before, as people have noticed Prazi can reduce a fishes appetite; not IME, but worth noting). Otherwise, I just monitor for other diseases daily and only treat when necessary.

OP
OP
Diazreeflife

Diazreeflife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not prophylactically treat with Cupramine (or anything else, besides Prazi-pro). I just keep the new fish in QT for 6-8 weeks. I do two rounds of Prazi-pro usually 2 weeks after the fish has been in QT (make sure they are eating well before, as people have noticed Prazi can reduce a fishes appetite; not IME, but worth noting). Otherwise, I just monitor for other diseases daily and only treat when necessary.

What do u do if ur ammonia goes up a little?

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do u do if ur ammonia goes up a little?

I have never had this happen honestly. I mostly use a 46 gal tank that has live rock & sand for my QT, and then either a barebottom 10 gal or 55 gal (depending on the size of the fish) for when I need to treat for Ich or anything else (besides flukes). I keep a sponge filter in my DT at all times and then move this over to the HT a couple days before I plan to add a fish to the tank. I also dose bacteria (can't remember which brand, but you can't find it at Petco or any LFS) per the instructions to help seed the tank further. Doing this, and using a Seachem Ammonia Alert badge, I have never seen ammonia rise over .02.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back