Dosing KNO3?

StrangeDejavu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BioCube 29 that has had a GHA problem for months now. I installed a skimmer and started running GFO but all that did was slow it down some. Next step was Vibrant which really did a number on the GHA, but since Vibrant's bacteria strain reduces nitrate and phosphate, my corals began starving. My Sunburst Monti went from vivid orange to a shade of orange so pale it's almost white. I made a thread here about it and everyone said feed more (I feed 2 fish a small portion of LRS once a day). So I did, and basically all i'm doing here is feeding my GHA since it snatches any and all nutrients from the water column immediately.

If I began dosing Vibrant again but started dosing with the KNO3 I have left from my planted tank days, would I be adding fuel to the fire? I'd really like to get my nitrates up some without also adding phosphate.

Edit: I should add that I do weekly 25% WC with Reef Crystals so I believe nitrate is my only limiting factor at this point.

M028Tf2.jpg

Last edited:

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BioCube 29 that has had a GHA problem for months now. I installed a skimmer and started running GFO but all that did was slow it down some. Next step was Vibrant which really did a number on the GHA, but since Vibrant's bacteria strain reduces nitrate and phosphate, my corals began starving. My Sunburst Monti went from vivid orange to a shade of orange so pale it's almost white. I made a thread here about it and everyone said feed more (I feed 2 fish a small portion of LRS once a day). So I did, and basically all i'm doing here is feeding my GHA since it snatches any and all nutrients from the water column immediately.

If I began dosing Vibrant again but started dosing with the KNO3 I have left from my planted tank days, would I be adding fuel to the fire? I'd really like to get my nitrates up some without also adding phosphate.
When I had an out break of gha my lFS told me too just slowly raise magnesium too 1600-1700 ppm .. gha died out and I slowly let mag drop again .. it's not been back since ..

OP
OP
StrangeDejavu

StrangeDejavu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a hair algae problem, I don't think adding nitrate is generally going to be helpful.

That's what I was afraid of, I just wasn't sure about how much of a nitrate consumer GHA was vs PO4.

When I had an out break of gha my lFS told me too just slowly raise magnesium too 1600-1700 ppm .. gha died out and I slowly let mag drop again .. it's not been back since ..

Any negative effects on coral? I have Kent M on hand so that should be easy enough. Gonna look into this some more.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was afraid of, I just wasn't sure about how much of a nitrate consumer GHA was vs PO4.

Any negative effects on coral? I have Kent M on hand so that should be easy enough. Gonna look into this some more.
No none that I noticed .. I never lost a coral or fish through it .. but maybe #RandyHolmesFarley could tell us if doing that is a problem

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most algae use roughly the same ratio of nitrate and phosphate, and that ratio is considerably more nitrate than phosphate.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most algae use roughly the same ratio of nitrate and phosphate, and that ratio is considerably more nitrate than phosphate.
#RandyHolmes-Farley .. can you tell what the downside is if any , of raising magnesium upto 1700 too kill of gha .. please !!

dirtdobber06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are still fighting gha take out one small rock and spray it with peroxide. Let it sit 3 min, then rinse and return it to the tank. If the gha goes away off that rock...read some other threads about using peroxide. I battled bryopsis and gha for so long until I discovered peroxide method.

Back