OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got the inside of the stand painted today. We used two coats of Rustoleum white appliance epoxy paint. The paint went on very smooth and by the second coat it had covered quite well. We will likely do a little touching up after the requisite 24-hour cure period. By the way, I write we, but my wife did the majority of the painting. She is so patient and detailed. Thank God for her!!!

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0315.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WOOT!! Looks good!

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was the day!!!

After several incremental improvements, we finally have some palpable progress. Today the team from the cabinet shop came in and re-wrapped the stand. They bought with them the new doors and the redone canopy. Here are a few photos.

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

If you recall, the stand had six doors, which have been replaced with three removable panels.

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

I am very pleased with how it turned out. The only item pending should be resolved tomorrow, which is the two side skirts for the rear, to cover the view of the ghost overflows from the side.

I also received the 1/2" closed cell neoprene for under the sump. That should get cut to size and photographed tomorrow as well.

Hopefully I can get the plumbing done before Thanksgiving. I took most of next week off, which should help...

Thanks!

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was the day!!!

After several incremental improvements, we finally have some palpable progress. Today the team from the cabinet shop came in and re-wrapped the stand. They bought with them the new doors and the redone canopy. Here are a few photos.

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

If you recall, the stand had six doors, which have been replaced with three removable panels.

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

I am very pleased with how it turned out. The only item pending should be resolved tomorrow, which is the two side skirts for the rear, to cover the view of the ghost overflows from the side.

I also received the 1/2" closed cell neoprene for under the sump. That should get cut to size and photographed tomorrow as well.

Hopefully I can get the plumbing done before Thanksgiving. I took most of next week off, which should help...

Thanks!

Wow love the stand! Progress!

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is unholy huge! The white stand looks great. I'm curious how you're going to do the back of the tank since it looks like that is your front entrance it backs up to?

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Takes it to another level. The white really shows how long the tank is. What's the next plan of action?

Thanks. I was telling the wifey that it looks like a piece of art as is. Hopefully the contents do the stand justice [emoji6]

Next step is to plumb over the coming week, followed by a fresh water test. I'm designing the plumbing as I type this reply. Trying to keep it very simple.

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is unholy huge! The white stand looks great. I'm curious how you're going to do the back of the tank since it looks like that is your front entrance it backs up to?

Thanks!

The tank is sitting in a temporary spot for the moment. Since the stand had to be wrapped on site, I placed the tank in the middle of the living room to give the guys as much access as possible. Once plumbed, this will be moved to the location of the current 187. I'm planning the logistics for the swap now. Sequencing is going to be a bit of a challenge.

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stayed home today and started working on the plumbing. Was able to get both of the phantom overflows installed, nice and tight.

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

Hopefully I'll have another update later today.

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that will be a bit nerve racking moving that beast. My dads company makes large playground equipment. When they move large heavy items they get a bunch of pvc pipe and put the piece on the pipe. Then one guy can push the piece while the other picks up pvc from the back and puts it in front of the play piece.
This method could work for you.

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that will be a bit nerve racking moving that beast. My dads company makes large playground equipment. When they move large heavy items they get a bunch of pvc pipe and put the piece on the pipe. Then one guy can push the piece while the other picks up pvc from the back and puts it in front of the play piece.
This method could work for you.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely keep that in mind when the time comes to move it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like that stand!

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final touches for the stand went on today. These panels will cover the side beyond the end of the stand to keep the overflow boxes and plumbing out of view. After going over several configurations with the cabinet guy, we settled on this one. I really like the panel behind the tank, which bridges the gap between the end of the tank and the stand.

He only installed one side, and it will need to be removed until the tank is in its final location. Snapped a few pics before pulling it off.

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

And finally, the side view.

IMG_0353.JPG

Overall pretty happy with how it turned out.

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress!

Got to spend some time working on the tank with my wife today. We made some decent progress.

Started the day by cleaning the skimmer, including a vinegar bath and full teardown.

IMG_0372.JPG

IMG_0356.JPG

And the final result - not bad...

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

Also was able to mock up the calcium reactor and the overflow plumbing.

IMG_0369.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

Was able to plumb the intake for both of the Vectra L1s.

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

Also installed the pair of 48" Geisemann reto T5 fixtures.

IMG_0367.JPG

And here is the result of today's efforts.

IMG_0370.JPG

Hope you enjoyed the update. Feel free to share any thoughts or suggestions.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back