OP
D

DrewZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do turned my lights down to 55% and going to see how my corals react. Two days in and everything looks better than before. Hopefully everything loves it. I had a feeling my light was a little too intense. Everything in the small tank does amazing. Only difference is light and flow. I have a mp10 on the "frag" tank and two mp40s on the 180. Wish me luck [emoji120].

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do turned my lights down to 55% and going to see how my corals react. Two days in and everything looks better than before. Hopefully everything loves it. I had a feeling my light was a little too intense. Everything in the small tank does amazing. Only difference is light and flow. I have a mp10 on the "frag" tank and two mp40s on the 180. Wish me luck [emoji120].
Best of luck!*

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is the tank? Surface, middle, and bottom.

Well let's put it this way, I was getting 200+ at the sand even in the corners. About 12" under water I was getting 300-400. I didn't take a lot of readings. Just need to know I was getting enough light on the sand. At 70% I get all the light my corals can stand.

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well let's put it this way, I was getting 200+ at the sand even in the corners. About 12" under water I was getting 300-400. I didn't take a lot of readings. Just need to know I was getting enough light on the sand. At 70% I get all the light my corals can stand.
Mine is 10" above surface of a 90g. I get about 320 in certain spots directly under the light about 5"-7" below the surface.
20161116_181627.jpg

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the underwater sensor? Most up to date firmware, and the underwater PAR adjustment formula?
Oh yeah it's three months old. It's the $200 sensor you plug into your laptop. Biotek support told me there's no adjustment formula. They helped me calibrate it when I got it and helped download the program on my laptop.

OP
OP
D

DrewZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

I recently picked up a slightly used brs 2 part setup and have been testing my calc, alk, phos, and mag daily. I know phos isn't needed but I have the Hanna checker for it so what the heck. Everything seams to drop consistently and phos stays at zero although I have had some crazy readings but then test again and is at zero. But.... after I finish my week of testing how do I know what mixture of two part to make or what do I base it off? Daily consumption or weekly?

Also I added an air stone to the refugium on my eshopps sump to add oxygen and add agitation to move the cheato and prevent pest algaes. So far has been working like a charm and I have zero detritus resting at the bottom. To combat the salt creep from the bubbling I cut some scrap glass to cover the top and seem to be working flawlessly.

And lastly for my birthday I decided it would be a good idea to setup a qt tank for two new gifts I was going to by myself [emoji58]. Haven't properly quarantined any of my fish prior and have been really lucky but am not going to chance it with these guys. They are to arrive at my lfs on Tuesday and am counting down the days lol

And lastly to add to the kessil part of my thread I recently went out on a limb and drastically changed my lighting schedule just to see what would happened. Made it resemble more of a half sphere and only peaks at 50%. Corals seem to slightly reach for light but some of my sps seem to be doing much better!
IMG_4316.JPG
IMG_4315.JPG

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

I recently picked up a slightly used brs 2 part setup and have been testing my calc, alk, phos, and mag daily. I know phos isn't needed but I have the Hanna checker for it so what the heck. Everything seams to drop consistently and phos stays at zero although I have had some crazy readings but then test again and is at zero. But.... after I finish my week of testing how do I know what mixture of two part to make or what do I base it off? Daily consumption or weekly?

Also I added an air stone to the refugium on my eshopps sump to add oxygen and add agitation to move the cheato and prevent pest algaes. So far has been working like a charm and I have zero detritus resting at the bottom. To combat the salt creep from the bubbling I cut some scrap glass to cover the top and seem to be working flawlessly.

And lastly for my birthday I decided it would be a good idea to setup a qt tank for two new gifts I was going to by myself [emoji58]. Haven't properly quarantined any of my fish prior and have been really lucky but am not going to chance it with these guys. They are to arrive at my lfs on Tuesday and am counting down the days lol

And lastly to add to the kessil part of my thread I recently went out on a limb and drastically changed my lighting schedule just to see what would happened. Made it resemble more of a half sphere and only peaks at 50%. Corals seem to slightly reach for light but some of my sps seem to be doing much better!
IMG_4316.JPG
IMG_4315.JPG

For your two part. Add slowly, estimate your daily consumption of ALK and add that amount minus 50% for all three for a few days and monitor. Mag doesn't required daily additions weekly monthly or none at all will be fine as long as you monitor it. Water changes can usually keep Mag in line as long as they are frequent and adequate. Honestly I check after a water change and dump enough Mag to bump it up too ~1450-1500 and be done with it.

Mix the ALK, cal, and Mag as directed by BRS recipes for each. This is important because if you do not mix correctly your daily dosing regiment will be impossible to dial in accurately.

OP
OP
D

DrewZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4354.JPG

And they came in! Not a scratch on them so hopefully they fly through qt like a breeze

OP
OP
D

DrewZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your two part. Add slowly, estimate your daily consumption of ALK and add that amount minus 50% for all three for a few days and monitor. Mag doesn't required daily additions weekly monthly or none at all will be fine as long as you monitor it. Water changes can usually keep Mag in line as long as they are frequent and adequate. Honestly I check after a water change and dump enough Mag to bump it up too ~1450-1500 and be done with it.

Mix the ALK, cal, and Mag as directed by BRS recipes for each. This is important because if you do not mix correctly your daily dosing regiment will be impossible to dial in accurately.

So just checked my mag and I just picked it up today did two tests and it's saying my mag is at 300?! I do a water change weekly with Red Sea coral pro

That seems insanely low

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just checked my mag and I just picked it up today did two tests and it's saying my mag is at 300?! I do a water change weekly with Red Sea coral pro

That seems insanely low

That's wrong. Go over how you tested your mag. Are you able to test your ALK or calcium or both?

OP
OP
D

DrewZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested all 4 calc, alk,mag, and phos
Calc is 458, alk is 8.9, and the mag was 300. 0 phos.

I am using the salifert test kit

Back