Dropsy? Bloat? Help!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, stinks because he was fine. I took him because the @#$%ing Hippo was sick. That fish has been nothing but a headache.

I will bring the salinity back up to 1.024 and give copper dosing another go. Any other ideas?

Is it a Hippo or a PBT? I see the latter in your first photo. What are the symptoms?

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 50g QT holds a Hippo, a PBT, 2 clowns and a foxface. Ive lost another foxface to a powerhead (which has since been removed). I lost a royal gamma but not sure what to..and now the Kole tang.

Hate to say this but none of this was worth that hippo tang. WHO IS STILL SICK!

Symptoms (hippo only):
- White flecks like large pieces of salt on the body. They come and go, at the moment they are bad.
- There is a spot on his side that is larger, not like a single nodule but like a fungus look. Maybe 1/2 cm long and 1/4 cm wide.

Good appetite and always eats. Any help would be much appreciated. At my wits end..

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 50g QT holds a Hippo, a PBT, 2 clowns and a foxface. Ive lost another foxface to a powerhead (which has since been removed). I lost a royal gamma but not sure what to..and now the Kole tang.

Symptoms (hippo only):
- White flecks like large pieces of salt on the body. They come and go, at the moment they are bad.
- There is a spot on his side that is larger, not like a single nodule but like a fungus look. Maybe 1/2 cm long and 1/4 cm wide.

Good appetite and always eats. Any help would be much appreciated. At my wits end..

I know you've posted photos of him before, but can you post ones of him right now? If he's loaded with white flecks at the moment, I'd like to see what they look like up close.

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0678.JPG
IMG_0673.JPG
IMG_0665.JPG
IMG_0662.JPG
IMG_0640.JPG
IMG_0636.JPG
IMG_0635.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see on his right side, just behind the pectoral fin there is a white discoloration? It is more pronounced in person.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think that looks like ich. I'm not really seeing the other patch you are referring to though.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think that looks like ich. I'm not really seeing the other patch you are referring to though.

^^ Agree. The OP saying the spots "come and go" lines up with ich as well.

I would try treating him with chelated copper (ex. Coppersafe) this go around.

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe is the brand you recommend? At what concentration and which test kit to verify?

Thank you both very much, you've helped on a number of my adventures and I appreciate it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Symptoms (hippo only):

When you say they come and go, what time frame are you referring to? There one day and gone the next?

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not day to day. I would say a week or so at at a time.

Melyp - I know that spot is hard to see. I only bring it up separately because it did not look like a single ich trophont.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe is the brand you recommend? At what concentration and which test kit to verify?

Thank you both very much, you've helped on a number of my adventures and I appreciate it.

1.5 - 2.0 is the therapeutic range for Coppersafe. Use an API copper test kit to measure it.

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some better photos. Right side behind the pectoral fin is the spot I'm talking about.

IMG_0690.JPG
IMG_0684.JPG
IMG_0688.JPG
IMG_0686.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some better photos. Right side behind the pectoral fin is the spot I'm talking about.

I see it now, but I'm not sure what it is. It could be a separate parasite or just a long string of slime coat with some debris stuck in it.

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Hippo tang died. Then the kole tang got bloat or dropsy or something...and died. Now my Blue Powder tang has ich, stopped eating and is emaciated and will likely die... my clown large clown fish died.

Leaving a small clown, a fox face and an emaciated blue powder tang.

This has been devastating. I did water changes, I test copper levels with two different test kits. I used two different forms of copper (both separately and as prescribed). I used prazipro (again as directed and not mixed unless safe).

I tried hip (without other forms of medication). I left the tank fallow since September.

And have nothing positive to show for it except experience, an experience of what not to do and yet no clue how it has happened.

OP
OP
AmatuerAuer

AmatuerAuer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to dip the fox face and remaining clown in fresh saltwater brought to temp and properly mixed. To ensure no extra copper is brought to the display. The powder blue is too far gone to bring over. I will add a fish eventually and try the QT process again but this has been the single worst experience in reefing for me.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to dip the fox face and remaining clown in fresh saltwater brought to temp and properly mixed. To ensure no extra copper is brought to the display. The powder blue is too far gone to bring over. I will add a fish eventually and try the QT process again but this has been the single worst experience in reefing for me.
I am so sorry you are going through this. :(

Aren't you still bringing up salinity after trying hypo? Or have I lost track of time?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for your losses :(

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back