!!!!!!DUDE it's THERMANS RAINBOW!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Tim! I have no idea where you got this thing but boy am i glad you included it in one of our first trades a few years back. I confess for a long time I really thought it was either a dud or just another stick i couldn't get any color out of:(. I shrugged it off for a long time not giving it any attention at all like many other duds before it. Well, sometime around year ago maybe longer something inside this little dormant nubber started to happen. And i could see some color. And then i saw more color and even more until i couldn't deny it any longer.

THIS THING WAS INSANE! A true "rainbow" nasuta. I mean this epitomizes the word. My only regret is lobing half the colony off for safe keeping in my back up system before taking this pic.:doh:

Anyhow there at least two frags from this colony floating around because i know i clipped it for a pack a while ago and then for someone who asked for it after they saw it in the pack. As you can see this is essentially all i got so i won't be fragging it up like crazy but i had to get this one out there. It's just captive grown acropora at its finest and it really didn't even photograph so well. There's colors in this this thing that are way less pronounced on screen. As much as I hate saying stuff like this.........You have to see it in person to really appreciate it.

Thanks again for this beauty Tim. So glad i didn't loose this one in the year or two it sat dormant! And ill never doubt you again;) Thing is there's got to be some people with this thing out there that got it from you as well. if any of you have a juicy colony of this thing please share your pics!

IMG_0896-2_zpsbf28c67a.jpg

IMG_0896-4_zpsa7bac156.jpg

IMG_0896-3_zps05ab6df5.jpg

Last edited:

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't quite understand this one myself. Mine had dormancy issues too, then popped out colors all over the place. This photo shows some of the gold undertones in parts. It can also get insanely bright blue tips coming out of the purple, and I swear I have seen pink corallites. It is an enigmatic coral :)
IMG_0955.jpg

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't quite understand this one myself. Mine had dormancy issues too, then popped out colors all over the place. This photo shows some of the gold undertones in parts. It can also get insanely bright blue tips coming out of the purple, and I swear I have seen pink corallites. It is an enigmatic coral :)
IMG_0955.jpg

Awesome yes! That's what I'm talking about. I have the pink and the blue as well. It didn't come out in the pic too well but the blue is really there and the pink is unmistakable!

Thanks for sharing yours Looks great!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Adam where do you get those big disks to keep large frags of acropora. Thanks .

they are from Scott (gooch)at the alternative reef! everything i mount my coral to comes from them:)

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Tim..........I don't have Therman's Rainbow on the list you gave me...........
lol

Tammi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is that corals name & what r it's stats ie care level etc?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What is that corals name & what r it's stats ie care level etc?

I confess i have always been horrible at positive id's but i think this ones a nasuta. I called it thermions rainbow because i got it from Tim Herman (Therman) a few years back in a trade Care level is pretty simple once it started to grow finally:) nothing outside of usual acro needs. At least in my system. Its held its color through a few bump in the road quite well in fact, just have ti get to that point where its happy and growing and it seems like smooth sailing for this guy.l

Tammi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply... Do you sell frags or be willing to. It is a sweet piece. Also a general question maybe u can help me with... I thought my open brain was bleaching & I've been moving it in different spot, the past 4 day it's gotten progressively worst. Last night I saw my peppermint shrimp picking at it & this morning my copperband butterfly was nipping at it. They have caused damage!! What can I do or is there any saving the coral? Will it regenerate and start growing in the nipped plAces? It was so nice. I will try to upload a b4 & after pic now
image.jpg

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
May want to start a thread on the lps forum!

well not so fast.........Its no secret that when it comes to lps I am not nearly as learned or enthusiastic as with acros but I have had the very same problem with peppermints. One of the reason i got rid of the gorgeous welsos i had in my display and never bothered with acans.

Indeed ravenous and opportunistic (or maybe just desperate) coppers and shrimp will eat lps and nems for sure once all the aptasias are gone. If you have another tank or a fuge you could relocate that coral there or try to trap the shrimp. You could also start feeding a lot more and the shrimp may not see the need to dine on the lps as much.

Back