E5 led/T5 lighting

Euroquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the issue of compatibility... There are countless ballasts out there and it's impossible to test them all, that's for sure! The retro kits (w/IceCap 660) were not tested and we only found out about the issue a few weeks back. Once we did, we posted about it and will continue to post updates as we discover them.

To our knowledge, all standard T5HO fixtures, work with the exception of what is listed on our site. There have also been a few other random reports of compatibility issues, but unless we can confirm them 100% incompatible we can't post that it's not. In fact we've gotten a number of the ballast and testing E5 after reports of issues and can't recreate them all!

T5HO lamps are very simple products in that way, where LED lamps that are ballast compatibly are much more complicated and some variants in ballast can have unknown results. We do work to explore when get a report, however on the 660, that's is just a simple overdriven issue that will not work. In fact T5 lamps on the 660 don't even last as long as the manufactures suggest with a more traditional ballast.

We are very glad that our retailers are very good partners and should have no issues helping when there are issues! And of course we always like to get reports of issues in our email so we can we investigate!

Hope that helps a bit!

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the issue of compatibility... There are countless ballasts out there and it's impossible to test them all, that's for sure! The retro kits (w/IceCap 660) were not tested and we only found out about the issue a few weeks back. Once we did, we posted about it and will continue to post updates as we discover them.

To our knowledge, all standard T5HO fixtures, work with the exception of what is listed on our site. There have also been a few other random reports of compatibility issues, but unless we can confirm them 100% incompatible we can't post that it's not. In fact we've gotten a number of the ballast and testing E5 after reports of issues and can't recreate them all!

T5HO lamps are very simple products in that way, where LED lamps that are ballast compatibly are much more complicated and some variants in ballast can have unknown results. We do work to explore when get a report, however on the 660, that's is just a simple overdriven issue that will not work. In fact T5 lamps on the 660 don't even last as long as the manufactures suggest with a more traditional ballast.

We are very glad that our retailers are very good partners and should have no issues helping when there are issues! And of course we always like to get reports of issues in our email so we can we investigate!

Hope that helps a bit!
It doesn't help at all to be honest.. For example in my case. What exactly is going to be done for those of us that had these ballasts and purchased your bulbs out of good faith and the posts on this and other forums? Is Euro going to respect our warranty if these bulbs fail, or, what is the plan? Refund our money? Replace our ballast? Because that is and was not at all mentioned prior to purchase. And there should have been testing "prior" to saying they were just plug and play.. That is on Euro, not us..

I personally have almost 200 in two bulbs(versus 40 for two t5 bulbs).. And to be honest, I like them. But a large part of my purchase decision was based on the longevity claims of the bulbs.. I, for one am not paying for a replacement ballast, as that should have been tested prior to release and claiming they will work with any fixture.. And no, you can't test all ballast, but the 660 is one of the more popular units on the market..

Exactly what is Euro plan?

Euroquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Damon I'm not sure when/where you purchased your lamps, but may retailers will take returns on purchases. And while that's never the outcome we want to have with a customer, we'd rather you return the lamps than have to deal with issues down the road. If your retailer (and I don't know who they are) gives you issues, email us with the details and we'll try to work with them on the issue.

However, the 660 is not a T5HO ballast, it's clearly listed as "VHO Ballast". We do state very clearly that E5s are for replacing T5HO lamps. We make every attempt to inform customers as soon as we know there is a a possible issue, but we didn't test that ballast because the manufacture of the ballast clearly lists it as a ballast that operates outside our required specifications.

I understand your frustration, when so many people chose to overdrive T5 lamps with this ballast, but it is outside the ratings of the E5 lamp. And in fact even T5HO lamps do not last as long when overdriven with this ballast.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Damon I'm not sure when/where you purchased your lamps, but may retailers will take returns on purchases. And while that's never the outcome we want to have with a customer, we'd rather you return the lamps than have to deal with issues down the road. If your retailer (and I don't know who they are) gives you issues, email us with the details and we'll try to work with them on the issue.

However, the 660 is not a T5HO ballast, it's clearly listed as "VHO Ballast". We do state very clearly that E5s are for replacing T5HO lamps. We make every attempt to inform customers as soon as we know there is a a possible issue, but we didn't test that ballast because the manufacture of the ballast clearly lists it as a ballast that operates outside our required specifications.

I understand your frustration, when so many people chose to overdrive T5 lamps with this ballast, but it is outside the ratings of the E5 lamp. And in fact even T5HO lamps do not last as long when overdriven with this ballast.
This is where you are wrong.. And I question if you really even took the time to read the description of the ballast on the site.. These are screen grabs directly from the corralview site on the ballast.. The ballast is designed to run, according to them, any combination. And it is not just a vho ballast.. It is a flexible ballast in what you can run on it.. I went off what was said from your company that "these bulbs will replace t5 bulbs".. What was said here, on Facebook, in ads, on other forums, and at trade shows. That is all that was stated.. Nothing more.. Not that you had to use say a Fulham ballast, etc.. It said a drop in replacement.. And I have purchased the bulbs now, along with the ballast..

And the thing is,a warranty is a valid warranty that is effect at the time of purchase.. And I expect my full warranty, as it is not my fault(or anyone that purchased your bulbs, that this ballast was not tested/nor listed until, according to Euro a few weeks ago). Euro needs to honor the warranty for those bulbs that were purchased already.. Otherwise, that is very shoddy and unethical business..

bb5e9c7b4c79f8af5ff2ccf0e19d7db4.jpg
566412f7e39920dcd7917e1cfb7cb246.jpg

3f2ec5452cc516d4798b0cd4a04a5951.jpg

Last edited:

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty obvious to me that that description was not originally written with T5 in mind. It is plain to see that all mention of T5 isn't even the same font. Funny thing is they offered you assist you in a refund. How is this shoddy and unethical business. They are telling you that the product will not work and you continue to demand a warranty when you have been told that there is a compatibility issue? I don't get it. Just get a regular T5 ballasts if you don't want to return the bulbs.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty obvious to me that that description was not originally written with T5 in mind. It is plain to see that all mention of T5 isn't even the same font. Funny thing is they offered you assist you in a refund. How is this shoddy and unethical business. They are telling you that the product will not work and you continue to demand a warranty when you have been told that there is a compatibility issue? I don't get it. Just get a regular T5 ballasts if you don't want to return the bulbs.
Sorry, but I wasn't talking to you..

Euroquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a blue daylight? I do not see those as an option on MD site.

Blue Daylight is the newest color we're releasing in the next 6-8 weeks! ;) It's a VERY crisp white lamp with a very cool blue feel.

(link no longer available)

Look down at the spectrums and we have it there.

Last edited by a moderator:

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Blue Daylight is the newest color we're releasing in the next 6-8 weeks! ;) It's a VERY crisp white lamp with a very cool blue feel.

(link no longer available)

Look down at the spectrums and we have it there.

Sweet, I will try one of those as it will be about time to change out a few of my Blue +

Last edited by a moderator:

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct if it was 10 years ago. :)
So what is the most popular "ballast" now? Not an ati fixture, but those of us that this product was supposedly targeted at(the retro and full fixture people)? I have a full set of led with a tank full of sps.. These are supplemental..

And I see that the mfg responded to others, but did not address my question.. The thing is, I like the bulbs, and I like my ballast.. My issue is with testing, as I beta tested and helped develop for two companies for over ten years.

A product would never have gone to market and then a couple months later, to come back and say "oh, we didn't test it, but your setup is wrong that we didn't specify or test up front". And then to say, deal with the hassle of returning the product, buying a new product, waiting for a refund(that I really don't want because I want the product I was promised), or buy another product to make our "untested product work"(as suggested by an obvious fan who doesn't know what a bold font is) as we boasted and claimed is preposterous.. That is inconvenient to the customer.. Who's to say, another 3 months down the line, something else that wasn't tested, goes wrong.. And I would never have been part of a team that ever did that..

If there was anything of that nature that happened they had the integrity to say "hey, our mistake and we will honor the warranty at time of purchase".. That is what I meant by shoddy, as that is the level of service I give and expect. And I realize, not everyone is customer oriented, but instead dollar and initial sale driven..

But it's fine.. The thing is, there are tons of start up companies and products.. Many of them fail.. Do I wish it on anyone, no.. But karma is something else.. And there is word of mouth and the review system.. I am the first on my local forum(and a few groups that I am a member of) that has these bulbs, and it's simple.. It just happened that some people asked on my threads, as I had just updated my system pictures, and I simply told my experience.. I told the truth.. I will do the same with anyone that asks me, and in my reviews.. I'm not lying and not embellishing...

So trust me, it's fine.. I will chalk it off to a learning lesson . And if/when they fail, it will just be an instance that a company didn't go the extra mile to correct their mistakes. I haven't run into any before, but hey, there's a first time for everything.. I will eat the 200.00..

I have spoken my peace and I will leave the thread as ignored..

Last edited:

Griffothefog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I replaced all 6 of my T5 in the RS 250, I went the extra mile and asked the manufacturer to confirm my system was compatible for E5.
Just saying...

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only because I showed how flawed you criticism is. And since you have left this thread, no sense replying!
Hi Greg!
Can you share your thoughts on the 660 ballast?
Just a general question as I have been rebuilding these for quite some time.
Are they outdated drivers?
Thanks Greg and nice to see you here!

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Greg!
Can you share your thoughts on the 660 ballast?
Just a general question as I have been rebuilding these for quite some time.
Are they outdated drivers?
Thanks Greg and nice to see you here!
My thoughts on the 660 are simple as this. The ballast was made for VHO as 6 foot bulbs were 160w each (4 x 160 = 640w). When T5 hit the market, people ran the ice cap ballasts but many abandoned them as although they wee much brighter, bulb life was jeopardized as a consequence. Soon better fixtures came out and we found that better performance using active cooling and higher quality reflectors could get you the same results. It's no different than running a 400w Radium (actually rated at only 360 watts) on a HQI ballasts. We accept the shorter bulb life for the increased performance.

This is something we regularly do in reef lighting. It is acceptable to overdrive fluorescent and MH. It has never been acceptable to overdrive LED as excess heat is their enemy. Obviously, Euroquatics has received reports about a compatibility issue with these Ice Cap ballasts. and they thought it was necessary to advise others that they were not compatible. Unfortunately some people are upset and would rather eat the cost of the bulbs rather than be refunded. It is just not rational IMO.

ColaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do these bulbs work in ati sunpower? Thanks
I asked the same question. I got confirmation from the other national forum users that use the E5 LED in ATI Sunpower that they work fine, no issues.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked the same question. I got confirmation from the other national forum users that use the E5 LED in ATI Sunpower that they work fine, no issues.

They work fine in ati sunpower fixtures. They work fine in all t5 ho ballasts, just not the IC ballasts that were originally designed for vho. Been running them since Jan on an ati sunpower fixture and they work well.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back