Ecotech Coral Lab Radion Settings - Who is seeing Acro growth with Radions?

Are you using Radions alone and seeing growth?

• No, I have added T5s

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • No, I have added Halides

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • No, surviving but little growth

Votes: 15 14.3%
  • No, but good coloration

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Yes, I'm seeing both great growth and great coloration

Votes: 68 64.8%

• Total voters

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are a few threads out about this topic. If you aren't aware of the Ecotech Coral Lab white paper, here is the link: http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Ecotech_CoralLab_WP1.pdf

I have attempted the Battlecorals Radion settings and as discussed in that thread, it seems to be a matter of acclimation and aesthetic preference.

But the real question is "Who is seeing growth of Acros with Radions?" I hope to build a thread where we can share before and after pictures. I am in the process of adding a number of Acros to my tank and I am starting with the AB setting. I will try to post progress the best I can. If anyone has additional experience, please share.

I am targeting Alk at 9-10, Cal at 420, Mg at 1250-1300, NO3 at 5 max of 10, PO4 < .025 but not 0. I am also measuring Iodine, Fe, and K using Red Sea Colors. My dosing is using Red Sea Colors A-D and Energy A&B. I have 2 Radion Gen2 on the sides and 2 Radion Gen3 in the middle. The dimensions for my 150 are 72x20x24 LxWxH. I have a 50 gal sump with mangroves, chaeto (Kessil purple for growth), a Reef Octopus Diable XS200 skimmer upgraded with a VarioS-4 pump, 2 MP40wQD powerheads, a Vectra L1 return. Just a quick comment on the Varios, the ramp set up when the skimmer is powered off. I ramp it from 40% to 100% when it comes back on to prevent overflow and the integrated float control are great.

I have 40-50 Acro frags that I am adding to my display tank next week. I am using this more to document than anything with hopes of finding an optimum Radion setting after tweaking. Follow and contribute as you would like.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My best example, though I didn't change the spectrum til probably July or August... Not exact to the spectrums they published but almost there.
Got this for free from a dying tank. Gen 3 Radions with wide angle lens. It's also off to the side in a darker area, so it might have grown faster in the hotzones. You can see it reaching around to get there. May to December.

WP_20160502_20_35_41_Pro.jpg WP_20161221_17_23_53_Pro.jpg

Tony727

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just found it easier to Max out all the seeings but red and green, even my intensity is at 100%. I wouldn't recommend starting there though.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first pic for coloration (view from one end of the tank).
PC110582.JPG
as for growth and coloration:
1. A little green frag of Apple Jack from July to now
P8080005.JPG PC110567.JPG

2. Red Diablo from Sept to now:
Red Diablo (1).JPG PC110569.JPG

Radion grow corals and do have awesome colorations. i use Coral lab SPS AB+, maintain Alk around 8.2-8.3, Ca at 450, Mg at 1200. i don't test for N and P. supplement fauna marin Color element.
i could post pic of all my SPS, growth is good.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one last one for coloration:
thought the difference is kinda obvious, there is a bit more blue on the second picture, but it went from white-red to blue-ish/green-ish background with red coralites and red polyps... and i can see some turning purp-blue polyps.. i wonder where it will end up
PB100451.JPG
to:
PC240623.JPG

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one last one for coloration:
thought the difference is kinda obvious, there is a bit more blue on the second picture, but it went from white-red to blue-ish/green-ish background with red coralites and red polyps... and i can see some turning purp-blue polyps.. i wonder where it will end up

Though somewhat unrelated.. I have some black sun corals that were the classic black originally after introduction. Then over time they spawned, and one landed in the tank in almost dead center under a puck. Now it's black, but with a fluorescent green sheen all over it. I assume this is zooxanthellae that landed.. So does that make it then photosynthetic black sun corals?

These corals do some crazy things!

rick_farr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first pic for coloration (view from one end of the tank).
PC110582.JPG
as for growth and coloration:
1. A little green frag of Apple Jack from July to now
P8080005.JPG PC110567.JPG

2. Red Diablo from Sept to now:
Red Diablo (1).JPG PC110569.JPG

Radion grow corals and do have awesome colorations. i use Coral lab SPS AB+, maintain Alk around 8.2-8.3, Ca at 450, Mg at 1200. i don't test for N and P. supplement fauna marin Color element.
i could post pic of all my SPS, growth is good.

What are you power settings?

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you power settings?
runnin SPS AB+, with wide lense, at 100%. i have some blue at 5% from 8am to sun rise and same 5%blu in the evening untill 23h. i have measured PAR at 300-350 all over the top section and 250-300 mid section.

i also run my MP40s with peaks at 55%, flow is key...

also feeding phytoplancton twice a week, reefroid at least once a week.
don't have a heavy fish load or not overfeeding.

maybe one point that i note for the Radion or anyother puck style LED, now that i get good growth, i can see the shape of the colony leaning toward the light source, not that the shape are odd, but if i had T5 or a more uniform light source, shape of colony would be different.
i would love to test the Phillips or similar LED that offers more uniform light coverage.
OR turn 90degree my XR30 and add a thrid one..

Last edited:

rick_farr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
runnin SPS AB+, with wide lense, at 100%.......

Wow... Ive been running mine at 40% under the SPS AB+ program and wondering why I haven't been getting good colour. I think I may slowly ramp mine up one the next few months (up to 80% one the next 4 weeks) to see if it makes a difference. I also have some MP40's, which I have been runningup to 50% - therefore I won't change that. Thanks for the reply. I'll take some pictures now and see if there is any growth change by end of Feb/March. Seems like our feeding schedule is also similar - however I'm also running zeovit.

Nice tank by the way!

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... Ive been running mine at 40% under the SPS AB+ program and wondering why I haven't been getting good colour. I think I may slowly ramp mine up one the next few months (up to 80% one the next 4 weeks) to see if it makes a difference. I also have some MP40's, which I have been runningup to 50% - therefore I won't change that. Thanks for the reply. I'll take some pictures now and see if there is any growth change by end of Feb/March. Seems like our feeding schedule is also similar - however I'm also running zeovit.

Nice tank by the way!

i have wide lense... it reduce PAR by aprox 30% vs standard lenses.

with std lenses, i had hot spots at 500-600PAR, now im about 300-350 in top of the tank

rick_farr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have wide lense... it reduce PAR by aprox 30% vs standard lenses.

with std lenses, i had hot spots at 500-600PAR, now im about 300-350 in top of the tank

Ok.... I think i'll ramp to 65% over 1 month - I need a PAR meter to be honest. I was going to buy the seneye... until I found I needed to buy the web server with its as we only have Mac's in our house & it only works on PC's!
After joining the hobby just over 4 years ago it still boggles me how much money I can spend .... & still never have everything I feel I need lol

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.... I think i'll ramp to 65% over 1 month - I need a PAR meter to be honest. I was going to buy the seneye... until I found I needed to buy the web server with its as we only have Mac's in our house & it only works on PC's!
After joining the hobby just over 4 years ago it still boggles me how much money I can spend .... & still never have everything I feel I need lol

with strd lenses i used to run at 45% my radions.

RCs reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running the gen4 xr15. It's in my 24 gallon nano I believe I'm running the ab+ at 65%. I do have a question pertaining to lighting tho if anyone can help. My question is how can one tell if you are running to much light or not enough? If you need to know my parameters let me know I test twice a week with weekly water changes religiously!

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running the gen4 xr15. It's in my 24 gallon nano I believe I'm running the ab+ at 65%. I do have a question pertaining to lighting tho if anyone can help. My question is how can one tell if you are running to much light or not enough? If you need to know my parameters let me know I test twice a week with weekly water changes religiously!

you can dl apps to mesure lux, it's a start. there are some conversion ratio to obtain an estiamte of PAR. that would be a start.

or get a PAR meter from a Reef club or LFS neer you

RCs reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can dl apps to mesure lux, it's a start. there are some conversion ratio to obtain an estiamte of PAR. that would be a start.

or get a PAR meter from a Reef club or LFS neer you
I thought about getting one. I'm having trouble getting a few corals to color up. I'm getting growth but I'm not sure other than that what would be a way to tell. Some are Browning out all but one have full polyp extension I can load pics of you want?

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about getting one. I'm having trouble getting a few corals to color up. I'm getting growth but I'm not sure other than that what would be a way to tell. Some are Browning out all but one have full polyp extension I can load pics of you want?

i'm no expert... jsut sharing my experience with my 7 months old reef

RCs reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm no expert... jsut sharing my experience with my 7 months old reef
All input is welcome and I thank you. I only had the light a few months still trying to find the sweet spot. I switched from a kessil a160

Back