"Ecotech Radion LED's in doubt".....not able to promote (zooxanthellae) color in corals

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to be noticing my corals are are fading in color I checked my parameters and they are good and I've heard from other people in the industry that eco-tech radians LEDs do not promote zooxanthellae in corals and I wanted to see if anybody else is having this problem I buy the corals with great color in about 2 to 3 weeks and I seem to be noticing the colors fade away if anybody else is having this problem please comment because we pay a lot of money for these LEDs

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights have been proven able to grow colorful corals - they just have to be adjusted correctly to do so.
What does your program look like? How far above the tank are they located; or - even better - what is the PAR/LUX reading where the corals are?

KenJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may need to be patient its takes 3-4 months for the corals to get used to the light start lower par and raise every few weeks. If they are grown in LEDs they will take off right away Battle corals has them grown in LEDs. I had great colors in my last tank but it took awhile then once used to the light they took off.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you're not providing too much light? I would highly suggest the wide angle lens if you have older versions.
They've been nothing short of very good for my setup and corals, especially for color.

cnseekatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radions have absolutely no problem supporting thriving, colorful SPS. Anyone who tells you otherwise has no real practical experience, or is just biased. If you're losing color, it could be a any number of reasons, including (but not limited to) bleaching them out with too much light. LEDs put out a lot of light, and Radions are some of the best.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had fading issues when I put my Radions on the tank then figured I was cranking them up too much. I believe I've found my sweet spot because my corals are stating to color up now under them. They are very powerful and I'm running the wide angle lenses.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I concur with all of the people who have already replied. Anyone who tells you that radions are bad for corals is either not doing their research or deliberately misleading others. Check out EcoTech's own study of coal growth/color under radions or check out the thousands of tanks with great growth and color.

Whether or not radions are the "best" light available is up for debate; whether or not they can grow coral and keep it in good health/color is not.

I agree with the suggestions given to check all of your parameters (maybe have it Triton tested) and check your PAR levels. That would give you some ideas on what to do next. Best of luck!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Too many, way too many colorful reefs would argue against your doubt. Keep working at it! So many variables come into play with the color of SPS corals outside of light as well. I am sure you know that though and is a disclaimer for anyone who might not!

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights does the person you're buying the corals from have? What are their parameters. Sometimes it takes months for corals to get used to your tank. It sounds like you're cooking your corals

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard from other people in the industry.

Sounds like marketing. Are you "in the industry"?
This is a hobby and passion of mine.

Google "zooxanthellae and coral color" and you will find that high concentrations of zoox does not equal bright colors.

Measure your PAR at different depths in the tank that the corals reside.
Post those numbers and all of your current tank parameters. Which model Radions do you have?
What type of corals? What do you use to create flow in the tank?
If you can't measure PAR/LUX then at least post your tank dimensions, depth of corals and distances from the center of the lights and hight of the lights above the water.
I'm sure some of the more experienced reefers on here can give you some suggestions to get things headed in a more positive direction.

So many variables, so many ways to have a successful reef tank.

I've used Radion XR15 Pro gen3, XR30 Pro gen3, and XR30 gen4 lights.
Mixed reef with trachyphillia, acan lord, micromussa, blastomussa, lobophyllia, zoas, branching montipora, montipora undata, stylophora, branching and wall euphyllia ancora, green leather mushroom, bird's nest, Duncans, candy cane, and cyphastrea.
Everybody is happy for now.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stevediaz1

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like marketing. Are you "in the industry"?
This is a hobby and passion of mine.

Google "zooxanthellae and coral color" and you will find that high concentrations of zoox does not equal bright colors.

Measure your PAR at different depths in the tank that the corals reside.
Post those numbers and all of your current tank parameters. Which model Radions do you have?
What type of corals? What do you use to create flow in the tank?
If you can't measure PAR/LUX then at least post your tank dimensions, depth of corals and distances from the center of the lights and hight of the lights above the water.
I'm sure some of the more experienced reefers on here can give you some suggestions to get things headed in a more positive direction.

So many variables, so many ways to have a successful reef tank.

I've used Radion XR15 Pro gen3, XR30 Pro gen3, and XR30 gen4 lights.
Mixed reef with trachyphillia, acan lord, micromussa, blastomussa, lobophyllia, zoas, branching montipora, montipora undata, stylophora, branching and wall euphyllia ancora, green leather mushroom, bird's nest, Duncans, candy cane, and cyphastrea.
Everybody is happy for now.

Good luck.

No im not in the industry im a hobbyist but ive been told this by a store reef shop i buy my corals at i currently have a innovative marine tank nuvo 30L micro i have 3rd gen xp15 pros 2 of them running at 35% brightness on coral lab setting softie/ lps setting
Corals are sitting from the light about 12-17 inches from light thats about midpoint in the center livestock zoas,blastomusa,acan,hammer mostly zoas
Ca440
Mg1320
Alk9.9
Phospate 0.25
78 degrees
Ph8.0
1.025 salinity
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5
Nitrite 0

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No im not in the industry im a hobbyist but ive been told this by a store reef shop i buy my corals at i currently have a innovative marine tank nuvo 30L micro i have 3rd gen xp15 pros 2 of them running at 35% brightness on coral lab setting softie/ lps setting
Corals are sitting from the light about 12-17 inches from light thats about midpoint in the center livestock zoas,blastomusa,acan,hammer mostly zoas
Ca440
Mg1320
Alk9.9
Phospate 0.25
78 degrees
Ph8.0
1.025 salinity
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5
Nitrite 0
35% seems REALLY low. Have you measured PAR or LUX? Why do you have them set so low? How high are the lights off the water? I highly recommend checking your light output to be sure your corals are getting adequate light.

Your phosphate is also quite a bit higher than recommended (almost 10x the .03 that @Randy Holmes-Farley recommends as ideal for a reef) which would lead to dulling/browning out of corals in many cases. If this were my reef, the first thing I'd work on would be lowering phosphate levels.

OP
OP
stevediaz1

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35% seems REALLY low. Have you measured PAR or LUX? Why do you have them set so low? How high are the lights off the water? Phosphate is also quite a bit higher than recommended (almost 10x the .03 that @Randy Holmes-Farley recommends as ideal for a reef) which would lead to dulling/browning out of corals in many cases.

Yes phosphate are hight running gfo to lower to that level and Brightness is set to that im scared i might burn the corals led iv been told could do that and no i dont have any par meters to measure my light

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so the RMS for the XR15 should be 8" above water level.

I've done some PAR readings with the XR15 Pro gen3 using the Apex PAR meter.
Here are some rough numbers to look at.

12K 100%
Depth. Off Center. PAR
5" 0" 575
5" 6" 300
9" 0" 450
9" 6" 210
16" 0" 210
16" 6" 145

12K / 18K. 50%
5" 0" Not measured
5" 6" 190/160
11" 0" 215/155
11" 6" 105/85
16" 0" 120/90
16" 6" 75/60

Depth is measured from water line.
Hopefully these numbers will help a little. I hope you can read that.
The columns don't line up well when you post as free text.

Happy Reefing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stevediaz1

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so the RMS for the XR15 should be 8" above water level.

I've done some PAR readings with the XR15 Pro gen3 using the Apex PAR meter.
Here are some rough numbers to look at.

12K 100%
Depth Off Center. PAR
5" 0" 575
5" 6" 300
9" 0" 450
9" 6" 210
16" 0" 210
16" 6" 145

12K / 18K. 50%
5" 0" Not measured
5" 6" 190/160
11" 0" 215/155
11" 6" 105/85
16" 0" 120/90
16" 6" 75/60

Hopefully these numbers will help a little.

Happy Reefing.

I haves question does brightness in the setting and intensity of the individual colors is that different or the same as the brightness

OP
OP
stevediaz1

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also started to dose 10 drops of brighwell aquatics replenish (essential elements) ,and koral color
every day any advise on the decision i took to do this

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back