Eel care guide!

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread. My zebra moray i have is unlike any i have ever seen with its pattern. I got it from a person trading him in to the LFS so i got it before it went in there tanks. Talk about being at the right place at the right time. He is my baby for sure. Never goes after fish or CUC. Of course i dont have shrimps in the tank. But he leaves my hermits and snails alone. Usually i feed him large thawed prawns but picked up some live crayfish i dangle in and let him eat. He enjoys them after realizing that its food.

OP
OP
tyler1503

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread. My zebra moray i have is unlike any i have ever seen with its pattern. I got it from a person trading him in to the LFS so i got it before it went in there tanks. Talk about being at the right place at the right time. He is my baby for sure. Never goes after fish or CUC. Of course i dont have shrimps in the tank. But he leaves my hermits and snails alone. Usually i feed him large thawed prawns but picked up some live crayfish i dangle in and let him eat. He enjoys them after realizing that its food.

A zebra with a unique pattern? I think I may have to see that :) Got any pics?
Haha yea zebras love those crustaceans!

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the best pic of his body. And here is one of his face in better light. He is my man and i love him to death.

Attachments

• IMG_20141102_074327_767.jpg
    IMG_20141102_074327_767.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_20150308_172759_183.jpg
    IMG_20150308_172759_183.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 422

ice fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I call him james. Its a family joke. My grandpa's name is james and he's older so he's quite lazy and dopey so the name fits well :) Plus my grandpa loves my tank and my fish. He is what got me into a lot of the fish i enjoy.

Mesa fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a skeletor eel on Friday. She swam around the tank looking for a den. She did not find one so I put in some PVC. She still was hiding. Tonight when I tried to feed her she was hiding. She had burrowed under the sand. Is this normal. She did get stuck between the overflow box and some live rock. Once I got her out she saw around all night. I think that's when she burrowed. I think she is really stressed. Btw I did not read through the entire thing. I have a short attention span. If you mentioned it tell me where it is. This is a picture of her last night. Her neck is also kind of fat. Is she ok or a bit stressed.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1430573121.766821.jpg
The PVC I put in. She will not eat to.

Mesa fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the skeletor Mesa?

My mistake but, turns out she's a snake eel. Normal behavior. It was in the eel section at the store and all the others were clearly morays and I could not find the moray species (duh...) but a skeletor was the closest to her species. She's a spotted snake eel so I'm a bit embarrassed about that mistake.

schlitz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome info. I have tired 4 different Snowflakes in my predator tank. I had an issue with them constantly swimming into the overflow so I had to sew a mesh plastic screen around the overflow to keep them out. I also had an issue with target feeding b/c my Lunar Wrasse would eat the food off the feeding stick 90% of the time before I could get it to the eel. I had one eel get beheaded by my Lion, one found his way to the carpet and two simply disappeared. I am currently on hiatus from eels until I can figure a better way or until my Lunar Wrasse kicks the bucket.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried putting the food in a critter box (remove clear top and add egg crate) when feeding? Lunares are crazy lol

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just removed my Palnose Eel from my tank as it had grown too large. While mine started off quite small it got so large that it knocked over my live rock several times.

The vision issue with eels leads them into stray bites quite often. I had a snowflake grab my niger trigger by the belly, trigger was fine but scared me. Eels are great but you really need to know what you are getting into. Tight lids, covered overflows and tank mates that won't pick at it or get eaten.

Voltaire81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - new to this site. Long story short, my QT with a snowflake ended up with Ich. Separated the fish and the eel. Fish are going through TTM and the snowflake is by himself in a 10g QT. I was planning to perform either hypo or TTM as well.

Anyway, my question is actually completely off-topic from that intro. Haha. I put him in a cycled 10 QT gallon a couple of days ago and covered with eggcrate + a styrofoam and had some random things on top for weight. The following morning, I still found him on the ground. Anyway, I scooped him up and put him back in the tank. This was Tuesday and I think I fed him the Sunday before that. He hasnt eaten since the incident.

Anything I can do to get him to eat? He normally eats pieces of shrimp. Just keep trying and he'll eventually eat? Im hoping there isnt a huge issue with him. Im not sure how long he was outside the tank.

Last edited:

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - new to this site. Long story short, my QT with a snowflake ended up with Ich. Separated the fish and the eel. Fish are going through TTM and the snowflake is by himself in a 10g QT. I was planning to perform either hypo or TTM as well.

Anyway, my question is actually completely off-topic from that intro. Haha. I put him in a cycled 10 QT gallon a couple of days ago and covered with eggcrate + a styrofoam and had some random things on top for weight. The following morning, I still found him on the ground. Anyway, I scooped him up and put him back in the tank. This was Tuesday and I think I fed him the Sunday before that. He hasnt eaten since the incident.

Anything I can do to get him to eat? He normally eats pieces of shrimp. Just keep trying and he'll eventually eat? Im hoping there isnt a huge issue with him. Im not sure how long he was outside the tank.

Try squid! For some reason eels love squid. If you aren't to worried feeding live foods, a few ghost shrimp. My eel was covered in dog hair and who knows what else after escaping down a vent over 4 months ago.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost shrimp are great. Another good thing are hermit crabs and snails. My eel would hunt the, down and munch on those.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back