Eightline Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus octotaenia)

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so upset right now. I was able to acquire one of these beauties today for $45...yes, a male for $45! I was rushed when I got him home to leave with the wife. So I acclimated him, and then dropped him into my acclimation box, and headed out the door. When we got home a few hours later I walk back to the tank to check him out, and he's gone! Somehow the hinged door on the box had lifted up about 2 inches. I'm still not sure how this happened given the way the box is designed. But either way, I have not seen him at all for the last 7-8 hours.

I have 2 other wrasses that I know will give him trouble, and they were acting a little shifty when I got home. One being a mystery wrasse, the other one is a no name flasher that came to a friend of mine thru LA as a carpenter wrasse, but it definitely is not. It's all red with a white belly. Hopefully the eight line will emerge okay, but I am not so sure that's going to happen.:sad:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so upset right now. I was able to acquire one of these beauties today for $45...yes, a male for $45! I was rushed when I got him home to leave with the wife. So I acclimated him, and then dropped him into my acclimation box, and headed out the door. When we got home a few hours later I walk back to the tank to check him out, and he's gone! Somehow the hinged door on the box had lifted up about 2 inches. I'm still not sure how this happened given the way the box is designed. But either way, I have not seen him at all for the last 7-8 hours.

I have 2 other wrasses that I know will give him trouble, and they were acting a little shifty when I got home. One being a mystery wrasse, the other one is a no name flasher that came to a friend of mine thru LA as a carpenter wrasse, but it definitely is not. It's all red with a white belly. Hopefully the eight line will emerge okay, but I am not so sure that's going to happen.:sad:
Good luck. I hope he's just acclimating.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So sorry to hear this happened. Hopefully, he'll be ok. From your description it sounds like your "no name" flasher is a McCosker's.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sign of him at all yet....

I have had a mckoskers before, and this one doesnt really have any elongated fins to flash. There is a tinge of orange on its mouth too.

Typed from my phone, because I have nothing better to do.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to de-rail the thread, but would you mind posting a pick of the flasher on another thread in this forum? You've got my curiosity up now...

Hoping your Eightline is just hiding out in the rock work.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend with a great camera coming this weekend. Ill post the new thread then.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doh! I will say I've experienced an acclimation box escapee before; not fun!

But all considering, I think you've got a decent shot here. I wouldn't fret too much just yet. I'd keep my eyes on the mystery wrasse for the time being; your existing flasher sounds like a female "something" to me (quite hard to distinguish females, but do post a pic).

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woohoo! I just got him back in the box! He 's definitely been roughed up. But at least he is safe for now.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woohoo! I just got him back in the box! He 's definitely been roughed up. But at least he is safe for now.

very nice. hope he doesn't escape again so you can nurse him back until he's ready.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome news..

how?

He suddenly showed up, and the unknown female and mystery were chasing it. It went up into the corner of the tank and I was able to net him, and put it in the box. I made sure the door was closed well, and Im getting some food ready for him.

I am about to post a quick video of the unknown female wrasse in hopes of an ID.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome news!!!

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I was able to get the little guy eating well and all healed up over the next 4 days. I acquired a beautiful pair of SA black onyx clowns from a friend, so I figured that would be a good time to release everyone all at once. Create a mass confusion of not only one fish but three!:bigsmile: I think it worked.

He is doing well, but is still hiding quite a bit. My mystery wrasse is still being a jerk(no surprise). but I'm hoping that will stop soon.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back