Elbow overflow question.

Reeferon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a sweep elbow as an overflow in the past with success. It was a 1" bulkhead with a 1.5" elbow. On the back of the glass I placed a tee with hard 1" pvc all the way down to the sump. On top of the tee fitting I just placed some filter floss to muffle the noise. I had a mag 3 running on that tank and it worked like a charm with very little noise!

Now I want to do the same thing but with a larger pump. I want to prevent any noise, so I think I will use a 1.5" bulkhead and 1.5" pipe all the way down to the sump.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how else I can minimize noise on a set up like this?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a pro, but maybe you could use a tee at the bulk head and cap opening facing up and drill a hole in the cap. Dont know if this is what you are trying to do, but its an idea

OP
OP
Reeferon

Reeferon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had tried that with the previous set up, but it was louder that way. The filter floss on the top part of the tee was much more quiet.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to drill hole then stick a piece of airline tubing in it. Try adjusting the depth of the tubing to see if it gets better.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back