Emergency QT Help

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin has been found deceased in the DT, couldn't retrieve the body, so that makes two in the tank dead but un retrievable, Mandarin and Bi-color pseudo chromis. Yellow tang is still in DT can't catch him, although for some reason he looked alot better today, most spots are gone on him. Two blue Green chromis still in DT, can't catch them, they have appeared to be unaffected by this all along and are still lightning fast.

Hope to catch everyone by next week.

Salt

I'm sorry for the loss. He is probably looking better because the parasites are dropping off as part of their lifecycle. they will be back and in greater numbers. :(

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for the loss. He is probably looking better because the parasites are dropping off as part of their lifecycle. they will be back and in greater numbers. :(
I know its risky and not the most effective velvet but what do you think about attempting to nuke the display with praziquantel in an attempt to help the tang if he cant get him out.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am running the UV more for now. Was hoping to provide some relief while I try and catch them. I find it kind of wrong but my corals are flourishing with these extra nutrients in the tank....

Thanks, I'm hard headed should have listened and QTed.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running the UV more for now. Was hoping to provide some relief while I try and catch them. I find it kind of wrong but my corals are flourishing with these extra nutrients in the tank....

Thanks, I'm hard headed should have listened and QTed.
I doubt very many reefers start out using proper quarantine protocols. It generally takes at least one of these events, and sometime multiple events like this, to get people on board. :(

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt very many reefers start out using proper quarantine protocols. It generally takes at least one of these events, and sometime multiple events like this, to get people on board. :(

All from a $7.50 yellow watchman goby I'm pretty sure anyways...

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Was just writing basically the same exact thing! To add to this remember it is not just fish qt anything you add that is wet. My lesson event occurred when I added a few snails. From the time I noticed the first signs of illness to the last of my 12 fish dying was less then 12 hrs...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All from a $7.50 yellow watchman goby I'm pretty sure anyways...
I think it was about 2 weeks ago that a guy had over $4,000 dollars in fish wiped out for the 3rd time and still wasn't using QT. :(

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just writing basically the same exact thing! To add to this remember it is not just fish qt anything you add that is wet. My lesson event occurred when I added a few snails. From the time I noticed the first signs of illness to the last of my 12 fish dying was less then 12 hrs...

That's nuts!!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a pretty bad reefer myself this way. I am on a coral and invert ban until I get a QT set up specifically for them. I don't "think" my tank is carrying ich but I have added coral and invert without using QT so I treat it like an ich managed system.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a pretty bad reefer myself this way. I am on a coral and invert ban until I get a QT set up specifically for them. I don't "think" my tank is carrying ich but I have added coral and invert without using QT so I treat it like an ich managed system.

Not sure I'm ready to QT coral....

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its risky and not the most effective velvet but what do you think about attempting to nuke the display with praziquantel in an attempt to help the tang if he cant get him out.

No, Prazi won't do a thing to help with velvet. :(

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I'm ready to QT coral....
I'm not either. But I'm no longer ready to add coral that hasn't been in a QT to my DT either. Just not worth the risk.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I'm second guessing velvet since 3 fish are still alive but I'm pretty sure it's not ich... it was more powdering blotchy white not straight up salt specs

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I'm second guessing velvet since 3 fish are still alive but I'm pretty sure it's not ich... it was more powdering blotchy white not straight up salt specs
If you can't count the spots, it is not ich.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a net tool I used for the last pain fish I removed but takes 2 to use that and net the fish. Wife won't work, Mom will be visiting next week and she helped me catch the last one.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea there were hundreds...
I don't have a good explanation for you other than parasites and infections just treat individual fish differently. You can have 2 yellow tangs in the same tank that gets hit with velvet and one will die quickly and the other shows almost no symptoms. :confused:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a good explanation for you other than parasites and infections just treat individual fish differently. You can have 2 yellow tangs in the same tank that gets hit with velvet and one will die quickly and the other shows almost no symptoms. :confused:

True which is why it's so difficult to diagnose via the internet.... honestly it can be hard in person too!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 52.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back