Emperor angel diagnosis help

Outdrsyguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what's wrong with this fish. Had it in qt (full ttm) then a week or two observation then in the dt. Been in the dt 4 weeks now and it all of a sudden developed this on it side just underneath the fin. It keeps going to the cleaner shrimp for cleaning and the shrimp definitely goes to work on the angel.

Looked at the disease sticky post and nothing seemed to look like this. It's like the scales under the fin are discolored or partially missing. Best I can guess is a bacterial infection but it really doesn't look like what I've seen before on my anthias (who seem to be the only ones in qt that get it)

I'll probably start trying to catch it soon for treatment if I can. It's a 940 gallon tank so it's fish trap or nothing (assuming I can talk him into it)

The fin looks clear and good but the scales underneath where it lies against the body are not right.
IMG_9716.JPG

IMG_9715.JPG

IMG_9713.JPG

IMG_9708.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a bacterial infection setting in to me as well. Is he still eating for you? You can feed antibiotics in his food (bound with Focus) but this is a very slow method of treatment. I would suggest you do this until you can catch him out or if you can't catch him at all. Putting him in the QT with the antibiotics in the water is the best option.

I do want to say that it doesn't look severe at this point and may be able to be healed with just vitamins in the food and the fish's own immune system. You way want to go this route at first and see if he can do it on his own. Up to you. The antibiotics would be kanaplex or Furan2 combined with Focus to bind it to the food. If done in a QT, forget the focus and just dose the other in the water.

OP
OP
Outdrsyguy1

Outdrsyguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was lucky. Held some food in one hand and Tupperware in another and just scooped him out of the tank. Seems to have spread a little from yesterday.
Put kanaplex and metroplex in the tank. Holding off on furan2 since it's a carcinogen I think? If things don't improve in a few days I'll dose it too.
IMG_9720.JPG

IMG_9720.JPG
IMG_9719.JPG

Will update. Let me know if you have any other advice.
Should I ttm in a few days or just water change before next dose of antibiotics?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holding off on furan2 since it's a carcinogen I think?

No need to worry there. It's not a carcinogen. If it were me, I'd add it now. That guy is going to need it I think. Great job catching him!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to worry there. It's not a carcinogen. If it were me, I'd add it now. That guy is going to need it I think. Great job catching him!

+1 Furan-2 is Nitrofurazone and Furazolidone (two antibiotics).

You might be confusing with Formalin, with contains formaldehyde a known carcinogen.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great work!!

OP
OP
Outdrsyguy1

Outdrsyguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still doing great. No relapses or issues. I have about 50 fish in the tank and I feed 1 cube of mysis mixed with a quarter sized piece of rods regular reef once a day. I also usually do a second small feeding of marine A pellets or a large pinch of flake. All fish look good except the resplendent anthias which stay a little thin. I also hatch 1/4 tsp of brine shrimp everyday to help the anthias and small reef chromis. 2-3 times a week I put in half a sheet of nori for the angels and tangs. Lately I've been doing reef plankton cubes instead of the rods as it's so expensive. The emperor eats everything above except for the brine.

OP
OP
Outdrsyguy1

Outdrsyguy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Most are smaller fish (anthias, chromis, clowns, cardinals, firefish, tangs). All look healthy (not fat) and are growing. Most are 6mo to 1 year in the tank.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back