Emperor Angel with velvet

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used mugs in mine. I know you should run the copper for 30 days. Could be a few days or more before you see improvement.... maybe a week

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with the copper for 30 days. Then you may want to run an antibiotic like kanaplex for any bacterial infections that will probably result from this. The first priority is to get the fish through the copper treatment and get rid of the velvet.
X2

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As bad as he is i would think you would see improvement tommorrow.
Doubtful. Although velvet's life cycle is quicker than ich it will take awhile to see vast improvement. I have a zombie Achilles tang that came down with velvet so bad it laid on the bottom of the tank for 2.5 days. I thought it was dead many times as it did not move other than its gills.

7 days later he looks like crap still but is swimming and nipping at nori and acting 80% normal. Still looks horrible though. I am absolutely astonished he is still with us. I have a video transition I will post if he recovers fully. His eyes are starting to cloud a little so I'm hoping he keeps fighting.

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubtful. Although velvet's life cycle is quicker than ich it will take awhile to see vast improvement. I have a zombie Achilles tang that came down with velvet so bad it laid on the bottom of the tank for 2.5 days. 7 days later he looks like crap still but is swimming and nipping at nori and acting 80% normal. Still looks horrible though.
Gotcha.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emperors are pretty tough, and the FW dip should have dislodged most of the parasites. Is the fish in QT in copper now? What about the rest of your fish in the DT?

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did you get cupramine? thought you said your 2 lfs didn't have them in stock. Did you drive 45 min to go get them?

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! I got all my fish out of the tank. I have the emperor and cleaner wrasse in the 36 gal. And fairy wrasse, valenti puffer, and niger in the 10gal. That being said tank is empty copper is doing its thing and taking it from here so I will see what it looks like in the morning. Thank you all for your help pics below. They been in qt for about a hour and half. And are looking well swimming around. Trigger is shaking back and forth like its trying to throw off the ich but I think it might be normal he wasn't infected that bad and eats and swims good and acting normal. I will get a copper test kit in am and keep it under .5 right? And every day water changes. How long to keep tank empty and fishes in qt?

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here they are. I know he looks rough but I'll tell you what he was breathing hard in dt and now that he's in here he's swimming normal and breathing normal. He just looks rough lol he had it bad but I think he will be okay.

1448426026486.jpg

1448426037419.jpg

1448426047471.jpg

1448426058962.jpg

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! I got all my fish out of the tank. I have the emperor and cleaner wrasse in the 36 gal. And fairy wrasse, valenti puffer, and niger in the 10gal. That being said tank is empty copper is doing its thing and taking it from here so I will see what it looks like in the morning. Thank you all for your help pics below. They been in qt for about a hour and half. And are looking well swimming around. Trigger is shaking back and forth like its trying to throw off the ich but I think it might be normal he wasn't infected that bad and eats and swims good and acting normal. I will get a copper test kit in am and keep it under .5 right? And every day water changes. How long to keep tank empty and fishes in qt?
not under at .5 but not over .6 it would potentially kill your fish at those levels. You will not need to do daily water changes, however you should monitor your parameters twice a day for the first week then do W/C accordingly

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here they are. I know he looks rough but I'll tell you what he was breathing hard in dt and now that he's in here he's swimming normal and breathing normal. He just looks rough lol he had it bad but I think he will be okay.

1448426026486.jpg

1448426037419.jpg

1448426047471.jpg

1448426058962.jpg
glad you were able to get it going, one thing I would add to the tanks is a black film you can purchase at home depot and make both sides and back black to reduce stress on the fishes. WTG /cheers

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to paint it just never had a chance to yet lol and I have to keep them in this tank till my dt is clear. Should I heat up the dt to speed it up or do anything to dt to speed up the process

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to paint it just never had a chance to yet lol and I have to keep them in this tank till my dt is clear. Should I heat up the dt to speed it up or do anything to dt to speed up the process
Like I said earlier, it's recommended to keep temperatures at 80-82 to speed up the process. My fishes never showed at stress under those temperatures only downside is the water evaporation, you will have to top it off a lot more often.

OP
OP
iamurri33

iamurri33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I'm talking about my disply tank. Not the qt. Because the disply has to be empty for 8 weeks to become clean right? Can I pit ich med in my disply since there's no host to speed up things? Or anything else. I'm not talking about the qt lol

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I'm talking about my disply tank. Not the qt. Because the disply has to be empty for 8 weeks to become clean right? Can I pit ich med in my disply since there's no host to speed up things? Or anything else. I'm not talking about the qt lol
You should definately raise the temp to 82 during fallow period and no, do not use any med in your DT.
Fallow should be at least 72 days

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back