ERMAGANCY: Power out and no idea what to do

Nick17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've had my 2 oceanlarris clown fish in my Nano Marine Ocean free tank (36 Litres) for 4 days, they are pretty healthy at the moment. My power is out, and it's not coming on until 2 to 3 hours from now, I have no idea what to do, I do have a fresh bucket of salt water but it is freezing cold. Again, all my pumps aren't working and neither is my heater, please help, I've had a lot of issues with starting the tank, really need help on what to do.

Sorry, just saw that I spelt Emergancy wrong, is there anything I can do to change that haha

Thankyou

Justiful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a thermometer?

1. Get 3-4 hand warmers from gas station or walmart. Place each in ziplock bag. Place bag in tank. Monitor temperature.

2. Agitate the water every 30 minutes for 5 minutes. A wood mixing spoon will work for this ext. Just get some good wave action going and move it around. (not so much you disturb sand bed)

3. when your not agitating the water, make sure the tank stays covered.

--- if power is not on in 6 hours. Go buy a car AC adapter and plug in a cheap air pump and airstone into the extension cord you run to the tank from the car.

---- To prevent this from happening again ----
1. Keep a thermometer and handwarmers on hand for the tank. $10 on amazon.
2. Get a battery powered air pump for $10 on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Marina-11134-Battery-Operated-Air-Pump/dp/B003TLWXOS

$20 for peace of mind. Not a bad deal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nick17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help, the power is back on and the fish are alive, phew... Haha

I will definately get some of one hand warmer things you said, cheers mate

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where the heck are you that it's cold or is your AC just really powerful?! Either way I'm jealous lol glad your fish are OK!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back