Eshopp 1200 overflow

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently installed one of these units and there are some definite flaws as follows:
1. The outer box is not high enough. If you run the overflow at a safe level (one that doesn't spill onto the floor) the syphon lines will suck air and make noise.
2. The system does not include a gate valve and is virtually non functional without it. There is no way to tune it down noise wise.
3. The system does not include the two elbows required to partially control how much air goes into the main syphon lines.
4. The template for drilling the two holes show have been designed to provide the maximum water level in the tank. In other words the template should have been designed to rest up against the upper tank edge. Of course, this would have made it impossible for me to extend the height of the out box but I'm hoping they fix that design flaw.

Here are the fixes:
1. Make sure you install a 1" gate valve on one of the two main syphon lines. This allows you to ensure that two of the lines remain in full syphon mode while still maintaining the required water depth.
2. Build a 1.25" wall around the outer box to allow for a higher water level. This allows the two main bulkhead fittings to operate without exporting air (and more turbulence) into the outer box.
3. Cut a new piece of 1" PVC that is about 1/2" higher than the one included in the kit. If you want to get fancy, get a 1" coupling to place on the top of the 1" pipe. It makes for a bigger opening for the overflow and it runs even quieter.
4. Install 2 elbows over the 2 main syphon lines but cut them to make them more open on the bottom. A band saw does a real nice job of this. The intent here is mostly to discourage the they syphon whirlpool that sucks air and makes noise.

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the eshops nano! same dang problem on my rimless had to make a few of my own modifications!
as far as noise I can help you out! no kidding... take a plastic bag and compress into a ball and stick into back of the drain portion noise gone!
you might need a bigger bag though!

OP
OP
Shaun Sweeney

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the eshops nano! same dang problem on my rimless had to make a few of my own modifications!
as far as noise I can help you out! no kidding... take a plastic bag and compress into a ball and stick into back of the drain portion noise gone!
you might need a bigger bag though!
Thanks Chris. Mine runs dead silent since I increased the height of the outer box. Can't understand why they didn't torture test their design before they started selling it. I've sent them a note but not heard back. The plastic bag is genius!

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Chris. Mine runs dead silent since I increased the height of the outer box. Can't understand why they didn't torture test their design before they started selling it. I've sent them a note but not heard back. The plastic bag is genius!
drove me mad until I had an AH HA moment!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back