evolved's 190g DSA Reef: Wrasse Retreat

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's just old.

That'll do it. I won't look this good when I'm old, either.

What's the lifespan of those guys? If I buy an expensive wrasse (more than $100-150), that'll be the next purchase.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't believe you started your May update with "last August" haha! I'm just messing with you. I gotta know what is he personality like on the Claire? You have the prettiest johnsoni, just beautiful!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the lifespan of those guys? If I buy an expensive wrasse (more than $100-150), that'll be the next purchase.
Good question and a bit debated, but most of us agree on 8-10 years. Buy a juvi.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question and a bit debated, but most of us agree on 8-10 years. Buy a juvi.

I may be the least patient individual you will meet. Waiting for it to turn male is more painful than it should be!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a few coral photos to post, and a bunch more to edit sometime.

Gonzo's Yellow Mamba:

DSC_3908
by Hunter Hammond, on Flickr

The original WT* from Gonzo, before Vic aquired it from him and named it:

DSC_3881

Reef Raft Pink Floyd:

DSC_3898

Reef Raft Redemption:

DSC_3921

Reef Raft unreleased:

DSC_3963

Vivid's ultimate purple cap:

DSC_3911

WWC something or other. Originated at RAP OC 2013 before they named it. @jporter17, what did they end up calling this?

DSC_3902

Lastly, for now; Vivid's rainbow delight. This one is tough and requires a lot of patience. I've grown it well for over 2 years, but just now am I starting to get color out of it.

DSC_3992

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about some of the losses, but the new additions (a year for the femininus) are great. I hope the claire transitions as nicely as hoped. I really want that earlei to keep maturing so that pics of it swimming around with a fully lanceolate tail are taken.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer about the losses. :( It can be very frustrating. Your tank is looking great and I love the fish selection!! :)

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about some of the losses, but the new additions (a year for the femininus) are great. I hope the claire transitions as nicely as hoped. I really want that earlei to keep maturing so that pics of it swimming around with a fully lanceolate tail are taken.
Thanks TJ.
The femininus devours the NLS pellets, and that's really been the key to success with her.
Me too on the claire; fingers crossed!
And you and me both on the earlei. We've come a long way from here (3 years ago):
2012-04-28_15-11-37_281.jpg

Bummer about the losses. :( It can be very frustrating. Your tank is looking great and I love the fish selection!! :)
Thanks Krista! I'm pretty well over it now, and looking forward to the future.

Beautiful sir, simply breathtaking. I look forward to the 2016 update!!;)
My candid response to you is not in adherence with the family friendly policy. :D
Thanks Mike.

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what I'm more excited about: your tank rebound or your photography skills improving! ;)

Seriously though, awesome new pictures and your tank looks better than ever, which speaks volumes about your dedication to the hobby. Well done my friend.

mrjlopez731

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow crazy fish stock and I have to hand it to you. The colors on you wrasses are awesome but best to prove many others wrong, when they say you can't put different kind of wrasse together. Your not the first who has done this and you won't be the last for I myself have the same intentions of trying this also. Please any pointers or advice that you can give me or share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing your tank with us all.

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Hunter. I had forgotten you had a tank! Kudos on the femininus success!
lol nice update!
Thanks Andy & Alex. :)

Not sure what I'm more excited about: your tank rebound or your photography skills improving! ;)

Seriously though, awesome new pictures and your tank looks better than ever, which speaks volumes about your dedication to the hobby. Well done my friend.
Thank you. I need some pointers still on fish photos; let's cover that tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Wow crazy fish stock and I have to hand it to you. The colors on you wrasses are awesome but best to prove many others wrong, when they say you can't put different kind of wrasse together. Your not the first who has done this and you won't be the last for I myself have the same intentions of trying this also. Please any pointers or advice that you can give me or share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing your tank with us all.
Thank you much.
With all due respect, those who make that generalization simply do not know what they are talking about. Yes, there are some genera which only belong in a FO system and do not play well with others.
It's all about education, smart choices, and proper introduction. Here's a couple pieces I've written:
All About Reef Safe Wrasses
Cirrhilabrus Complexes: Inferiority Need Not Apply

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That

Gonzo's Yellow Mamba....

is

purrrrddyyyy! :)

Just read through your thread! Looks great. Sorry to hear about your losses, but these new additions are nice!!!
Thank you! Yellow Mamba is a pretty quick grower too!

Your johnsoni is the prettiest wrasse I have ever seen.
Thanks; still a favorite species of mine. They flash all the time.

beautiful tank, fish, and corals... Very inspirational!!
Thank you much. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back