evolved's 190g DSA Reef: Wrasse Retreat

ArcKatana

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Hunter - quick question if you don't mind. See any C sanguineus floating around? I've been looking for the past five years, only see them pop up in Japan. Thanks. (And for those folks who look at the pics of the earlie and think he's pretty, when males start to show off at dusk they GLOW purple like a neon light overcharged. Stunning, stunning fish.)

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Hunter - quick question if you don't mind. See any C sanguineus floating around? I've been looking for the past five years, only see them pop up in Japan. Thanks. (And for those folks who look at the pics of the earlie and think he's pretty, when males start to show off at dusk they GLOW purple like a neon light overcharged. Stunning, stunning fish.)
They're simply not collected. Mauritian endemic, and there's only one collector in Mauritius. I do happen to be friends with that collecting family, and it is a species they plan to go after sometime. I'm also told it's hard to see at the depth their found (think camouflage).

Mr.Acro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through the whole thread, incredible tank evolved. Both your wrasse and SPS selection rival some of the best tanks I've seen. I was pretty sad when the thread ended. I want to see more of that beautiful Earlei ;).

P.S
My flames arrive tomorrow morning, I can't sleep I'm so excited! Thanks again for all the advice.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Hunter, I just read through this entire thread....such amazing photos of your fish and corals, great job!!!!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's about 600 raw Hawaii pictures ahead of that; check back next year. :D

So there's an update for you; Matt and I when to Hawaii for 6 nights for my 30th. We spent two nights on Oahu and then four on the big island. Spent the day of my birthday snorkeling off the Kona coast and then the evening night snorkeling with the Manta Rays.

Eh, I can keep going here. I recently lost my older Nahackyi, but that wasn't much of a surprise - I knew it was coming. Got old and started winding down (shrinking). Then a few days later I lost the not-as-dominant male johnsoni, and that wasn't so expected. I was doing maintaince the night before and he jumped out behind the tank. I heard him go and as quick as I could got out of the tank and fetched him. He was still alive and I thought he'd be okay when I got him back in a couple minutes later, but he was dead the next day. :(
So I'm down to a single male of each species now, and that might be for the best anyway. Things are certainly calmer now.

Currently I have 5 of the same somethings in my 10 gallon QT, but that's all I'm going to say about that. :) Not all are destined for my tank. (yes, now I'm teasing on top of not posting pics!)

And there should be another something going into zibba's QT which is destined for my tank at a latter date.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Currently I have 5 of the same somethings in my 10 gallon QT, but that's all I'm going to say about that. :) Not all are destined for my tank. (yes, now I'm teasing on top of not posting pics!)

And there should be another something going into zibba's QT which is destined for my tank at a latter date.
Curioser and curioser...

redwingrob40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what a great tank Hunter! The pictures throughout this are simply incredible. Hope to see some more updates soon.

One quick question have you ever had any issues with the tomini tang picking on your wrasse? I recently had some wrasse mysteriously disappear and think my yellow eye Kole may have been the culprit. Just wondering if you had ever had any issues with the tang and wrasses?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what a great tank Hunter! The pictures throughout this are simply incredible.
Thank you :)

One quick question have you ever had any issues with the tomini tang picking on your wrasse? I recently had some wrasse mysteriously disappear and think my yellow eye Kole may have been the culprit. Just wondering if you had ever had any issues with the tang and wrasses?
Nope; never any issues - they hardly notice another. The only reason I have the tomini is to act more along the lines of the CUC, rather than a fish. :D

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
pics... :p

redwingrob40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:p
Thank you :)

Nope; never any issues - they hardly notice another. The only reason I have the tomini is to act more along the lines of the CUC, rather than a fish. :D
Great thanks, totally agree with you having a tang for cleanup, they do a great job. Looking forward to future updates and finding out what the 5 somethings are.:p

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back