evolved's 190g DSA Reef: Wrasse Retreat

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!
But if you notice a few post above, this tank is no longer. :)
I do have some final pictures I took of the state it become prior to it's transition, to close out this thread someday.

I do, and I have: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.28/
There's a section on quarantine in there. :)

Excellent thanks for the link!

Sorry, I didn't read the last few pages. I just searched your thread for "quarantine", and looked at some pics from awhile back. :eek:

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we are, the end of the road. I finally have the last set of photos available; these were taken on August 8th, about a week before the tank was taken down.

A few sad bits to report from the past that I noticed I never posted about here. I did lose both the earlei and the old lineatus in the final months of this tank. I suspect internal parasites on both, but it's also quite possible they were old and simply at the end of life. Both went out the same way, slowly withering away over a 6 week period.

But onto better times. Here's the last look at this tank, and you'll see how extreme a Pocillopora invasion can be when it gets the upper hand on you. :rolleyes:

DSC_6818.jpg
DSC_6819.jpg
DSC_6820.jpg
DSC_6821.jpg
DSC_6823.jpg
DSC_6827.jpg
DSC_6837.jpg
DSC_6842.jpg
DSC_6845.jpg
DSC_6847.jpg
DSC_6854.jpg
DSC_6856.jpg
DSC_6873.jpg
DSC_6875.jpg
DSC_6876.jpg
DSC_6878.jpg
DSC_6885.jpg
DSC_6887.jpg
DSC_6890.jpg
DSC_6896.jpg
DSC_6897.jpg
DSC_6898.jpg
DSC_6899.jpg
DSC_6903.jpg
DSC_6904.jpg
DSC_6906.jpg
DSC_6907.jpg
DSC_6908.jpg
DSC_6909.jpg
DSC_6910.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here we are, the end of the road. I finally have the last set of photos available; these were taken on August 8th, about a week before the tank was taken down.

A few sad bits to report from the past that I noticed I never posted about here. I did lose both the earlei and the old lineatus in the final months of this tank. I suspect internal parasites on both, but it's also quite possible they were old and simply at the end of life. Both went out the same way, slowly withering away over a 6 week period.

But onto better times. Here's the last look at this tank, and you'll see how extreme a Pocillopora invasion can be when it gets the upper hand on you. :rolleyes:

DSC_6818.jpg
DSC_6819.jpg
DSC_6820.jpg
DSC_6821.jpg
DSC_6823.jpg
DSC_6827.jpg
DSC_6837.jpg
DSC_6842.jpg
DSC_6845.jpg
DSC_6847.jpg
DSC_6854.jpg
DSC_6856.jpg
DSC_6873.jpg
DSC_6875.jpg
DSC_6876.jpg
DSC_6878.jpg
DSC_6885.jpg
DSC_6887.jpg
DSC_6890.jpg
DSC_6896.jpg
DSC_6897.jpg
DSC_6898.jpg
DSC_6899.jpg
DSC_6903.jpg
DSC_6904.jpg
DSC_6906.jpg
DSC_6907.jpg
DSC_6908.jpg
DSC_6909.jpg
DSC_6910.jpg
WOW!! Awesome update, Hunter!!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that rock looks funny in a stock tank without any corals:

20160819_162256-jpg.451832

Abalone's are really hard to remove from a rock. I gave up after leaving this guy sit out of the water for 15 minutes; I put it back into the tank a grabbed him later when he was on the glass (by using a couple credit cards):

20160819_115531-jpg.451831

Which, finally brings us to:

20160819_162238.jpg

That's all folks!!!
(the new tank build thread is here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/wrasse-retreat-2-0-evolveds-270g-peninsula.256483/) View attachment 20160819_115531.jpg View attachment 20160819_162256.jpg

Last edited:

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pic of the abalone and the pic of the rock tub show up for me at first when they load, then they disappear. Not sure if that's something you did when uploading or something on my end...?

Wow hunter, that is an EPIC Pocci takeover! I've not seen it that bad before! What did you do to kill it off the rock? Or did you set up the new tank with new rock? Sorry to hear about the Erlei and the Lineatus. How old were they? Do you have a final fish list at shutdown?

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!! Awesome update, Hunter!!
Thanks Daniel!
Thank you!
The pic of the abalone and the pic of the rock tub show up for me at first when they load, then they disappear. Not sure if that's something you did when uploading or something on my end...?
I was fighting with those uploads last night; it should be good now.
Wow hunter, that is an EPIC Pocci takeover! I've not seen it that bad before! What did you do to kill it off the rock? Or did you set up the new tank with new rock? Sorry to hear about the Erlei and the Lineatus. How old were they? Do you have a final fish list at shutdown?
Clearly I made it really happy.... :rolleyes: Had it not looked awesome under actinics, I would have pulled my hair out long ago.
I didn't kill it off the rock; I left it all behind and sold it off to someone else, with plenty of warning of what they were inheriting. The rock you saw in this post was all new dry Marco which cycled for about 4 months in that same stock tank before going into the new tank.
The lineatus was 4+ years, and he was a grown adult when I acquired him, so I can't speak to it's exact age. The earlei I bought as a small juvi and grew it into the terminal male you saw in this thread over a 4 year period.
Final fish list (I think):
A. femininus
P. octotaenia
C. isosceles
C. johnsoni
C. claire
H. timorensis
M. lapillus (x2)
C. tominiensis
A. ocellaris (x2)

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was fighting with those uploads last night; it should be good now.

Yes, I can see them "permanently" now. :)

Clearly I made it really happy.... :rolleyes: Had it not looked awesome under actinics, I would have pulled my hair out long ago.
I didn't kill it off the rock; I left it all behind and sold it off to someone else, with plenty of warning of what they were inheriting. The rock you saw in this post was all new dry Marco which cycled for about 4 months in that same stock tank before going into the new tank.
The lineatus was 4+ years, and he was a grown adult when I acquired him, so I can't speak to it's exact age. The earlei I bought as a small juvi and grew it into the terminal male you saw in this thread over a 4 year period.
Final fish list (I think):
A. femininus
P. octotaenia
C. isosceles
C. johnsoni
C. claire
H. timorensis
M. lapillus (x2)
C. tominiensis
A. ocellaris (x2)

How are you liking the Marco rock? Around here we don't consider it to be good rock as it's much heavier and less porous than the dried Pukani we have here. I ask because the Pukani supplier in Canada quit the business, so I may have to start using Marco in client tanks that I can't convince to use live rock. :D

Hmm, you'd think the Earlei would have a longer life span, wouldn't you? Hard to say with the Lineatus since he was already terminal. I'm not familiar with the life spans of "reef-safe" wrasses. I know Tangs and Clownfish can hit 20-30+ years, though many Gobies only live a few years. Regardless, still a respectable fish list. :D

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you liking the Marco rock? Around here we don't consider it to be good rock as it's much heavier and less porous than the dried Pukani we have here. I ask because the Pukani supplier in Canada quit the business, so I may have to start using Marco in client tanks that I can't convince to use live rock. :D
I'm happy with the Marco; I found it to be pretty porous. Sure, it's not quite as porous as Pukani, but I've found Pukani to have a lot of dead junk on it too.
Hmm, you'd think the Earlei would have a longer life span, wouldn't you? Hard to say with the Lineatus since he was already terminal. I'm not familiar with the life spans of "reef-safe" wrasses. I know Tangs and Clownfish can hit 20-30+ years, though many Gobies only live a few years. Regardless, still a respectable fish list. :D
I would tend to agree, and felt there was still life left in the fish. But I questioned if age acceleration may have come into play, being in a tank a few degrees warmer than the waters they're found.
We don't really know what the natural lifespans for Cirrhilabrus are, but I feel that 6-7 years is probably in the ballpark.

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about loosing those fish. I enjoyed the last photo dumps of this thread. That pectinia is bright!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about loosing those fish. I enjoyed the last photo dumps of this thread.
Thanks Paul. :)
That pectinia is bright!
So funny story about that... o_O
If you're building a house and not testing parameters for months and your Alk slowly creeps up to 12, apparently Pectinia is the first to go. :rolleyes:
If you look closely at the photos of it here, there are little spots of skeleton showing at various points all over it. I didn't know it here, but it was already doomed when I took those photos.
Luckily it acted as a good canary, and I didn't have any other losses. I just shut off the CO2 to the calcium reactor and let things ride for the last week.
(I grabbed another frag of it at MACNA, so I have it back in the new tank.)

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Paul. :)

So funny story about that... o_O
If you're building a house and not testing parameters for months and your Alk slowly creeps up to 12, apparently Pectinia is the first to go. :rolleyes:
If you look closely at the photos of it here, there are little spots of skeleton showing at various points all over it. I didn't know it here, but it was already doomed when I took those photos.
Luckily it acted as a good canary, and I didn't have any other losses. I just shut off the CO2 to the calcium reactor and let things ride for the last week.
(I grabbed another frag of it at MACNA, so I have it back in the new tank.)
Well darn. At least it was all you lost. Do they seem to grow equally horizontal as they do vertically? I'm sure lighting and flow play a role. I've seen a few like this one that really "pop" in color. Good luck with the frag!

OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well darn. At least it was all you lost. Do they seem to grow equally horizontal as they do vertically? I'm sure lighting and flow play a role. I've seen a few like this one that really "pop" in color. Good luck with the frag!
Pretty much equal grow in both directions, but it needs a good 6" of room all around. EVIL sweepers.
The trick with the space invader variety is it actually needs a fair amount of light. Too little and it's drab.

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy with the Marco; I found it to be pretty porous. Sure, it's not quite as porous as Pukani, but I've found Pukani to have a lot of dead junk on it too.

Good to hear about the Marco. :) Yes, absolutely the Pukani is LOADED with dead stuff - it's a HARD cycle. Marco you can dump a bottle of bacteria in and you're good to go.

I would tend to agree, and felt there was still life left in the fish. But I questioned if age acceleration may have come into play, being in a tank a few degrees warmer than the waters they're found.
We don't really know what the natural lifespans for Cirrhilabrus are, but I feel that 6-7 years is probably in the ballpark.

I hope they have more than that in them! I want my Johnsoni to live forever. They are so beautiful!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank and house pics please
There's a link literally 10 posts above yours. :p
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/wrasse-retreat-2-0-evolveds-270g-peninsula.256483/
I hope they have more than that in them! I want my Johnsoni to live forever. They are so beautiful!
Johnsoni is a favorite of mine for a reason. ;)
Your reef ROCKS
Thank you, but past tense now. See the link above for the current tank.
Thanks for the great report. I'll try to do something similar when I finish up in a month or two.
Glad to be inspirational, and thank you!

Back