Exact iDip Digital Water Testing

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You had two outliers, in 5 consecutive tests you were between 132-139. I guarantee you got comfortable with the process and missed something. Try a few more, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Just my $.02

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am done with it...
Spent most all the Alk stripes performing the tests with no consistent readings.
Having 132-139 in 5 tests sound not consistent, when I'm use to have 1ppm difference with the Hanna Checker only.
No matter if I tried with and without syringe and application keeps crashing on my Android Nougat
Shipping it back on Monday

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was an update released 2 days ago of the app to support android 7.1.1. Before the update the app was crashing on my Nexus 6P. Now it's all good in the hood.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was an update released 2 days ago of the app to support android 7.1.1. Before the update the app was crashing on my Nexus 6P. Now it's all good in the hood.
I have the last version 2.3.3.2 which is from 12Dec2016. I even tried the beta version available...and no changes app keeps crashing and there are some schifting issues on the left menu
Exemple when you choose the client tab it will be the calendar that will open instead same with the instruction tab it will be the faq... :confused::confused::confused:

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been playing with my idip more and more now that tank is running and I test alk a lot to dial in my calcium reactor along with nitrate. I can say I am comfortable enough to get identical alk readings on the unit 3 times in a row. Found out that the trick to the whole unit is how you swish the strips during the countdown. Basically you have to do 2 swipes of the strips in the unit per second. You do this starting at 20 but you take out the strip once you finish the double swish on 2 and put the cap on 1. This is super simple if the device is sitting on flat surface and you have test strip on one hand and cover on the other. It's really like you are following a beat with dual swish per second once you get the hang of it.

lnevo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been playing with my idip more and more now that tank is running and I test alk a lot to dial in my calcium reactor along with nitrate. I can say I am comfortable enough to get identical alk readings on the unit 3 times in a row. Found out that the trick to the whole unit is how you swish the strips during the countdown. Basically you have to do 2 swipes of the strips in the unit per second. You do this starting at 20 but you take out the strip once you finish the double swish on 2 and put the cap on 1. This is super simple if the device is sitting on flat surface and you have test strip on one hand and cover on the other. It's really like you are following a beat with dual swish per second once you get the hang of it.

It does take some practice! Thanks for the followup.

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so after not using this for a few months due to frustration over readings, I started using again a couple of weeks ago. Should have my mag test this week and I am very happy with alk, nitrates and po4 readings but still getting off the chart readings for ca. Is anyone still having issues with ca readings? Im beginning to wonder if I have bad test strips.

C Hawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a question regarding ALK. I follow the instructions as well as the tips on this thread. However, my ALK is consistently low as compared to my hanna checker. For example, I just obtained a reading of 115 with the idip and 144 with the hanna. I believe the hanna due to my dosing 2 part routine. I do appreciate having the idip as my go to tester. But this frustrates me. Also having issues with THH (to high) readings. But ine thing at a time. TIA

SPotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.....got new calcium strips and magnesium strips. noticed that there was a small bottle of liquid with the Ca strips which I did not get when I got my starter kit. My previous Ca readings were always off the charts. Did a test using the drops and ca came in low at 375 compared to red sea of 440 and a recent triton test of 445 so i will continue to practice my ca testing. Mag came in at 1504 which was very close to salifert of 1510 and recent triton test of 1490 so I feel pretty good about the mag results. I will continue to use the idip and hope that consistency continues with other parameters and my results improve with ca.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium strips? You mean thh? There are no mag strips for the idip. You test calcium and total hardness and it will do a calculation on magnesium.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0556.jpg
IMG_0557.jpg
IMG_0560.jpg
IMG_0559.jpg
IMG_0567.jpg
IMG_0568.jpg
IMG_0544.jpg
IMG_0549.jpg
Well had a pretty cool weekend drove up to DC for MACNA it was pretty cool ive never been to one and i must say there was a lot of stuff to see and lean a ton of cool new stuff and plus they were giving tons of free stuff away. After making my first few rounds picking up so cool new toys and some acro colony's $65 a piece i came across a both with a crowd of people standing around watching a demonstration of the new all in one water testing digital photometer system called the eXact iDip it basically use small water sample to send the test result right to your smartphone in the app that comes with it the kit basically covers almost every kind of water test you could ever have run. if you're in DC check them out its pretty cool.

On the first line it says best accuracy 7.5%. So if it's 100 it would read best case 7.5.... or maybe... 192.5? Seems like they should write that differently

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the first line it says best accuracy 7.5%. So if it's 100 it would read best case 7.5.... or maybe... 192.5? Seems like they should write that differently

It means that the reading is within 7.5% of the number you got. So basically if the number is 100 the actual result is between 92.5 and 107.5.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a question regarding ALK. I follow the instructions as well as the tips on this thread. However, my ALK is consistently low as compared to my hanna checker. For example, I just obtained a reading of 115 with the idip and 144 with the hanna. I believe the hanna due to my dosing 2 part routine. I do appreciate having the idip as my go to tester. But this frustrates me. Also having issues with THH (to high) readings. But ine thing at a time. TIA

My Hanna alk is always very different than other tests. I have tested my idip against red sea and salifert and the readings are within .2 of both.

The secret to a consistent reading every single time is the strip 20 second swish. When you hit read and the counter says 20 put the strip in immediately and do the double swish with wrist. After every second you do the double wrist swish. You take out the strip after you do the double swish at number 2. When the counter says 1 the strip shouldn't be in the sample and you should already be putting the cap on.

By following that my results have been extremely consistent.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought one and it does have the older reagent. Readings consistently in the 30 ppm range for alkalinity. Not sure what I could be doing wrong I tried it 6 times so far followed the video exactly. I have the marine kit and I use the marine alkalinity test on the app.

Do we have to buy the new reagents or can we send ours in for replacement? Says they dont expire till 11/01/17 so they are defective im guessing since they are not expired?

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah solved that problem had to use the total AL not total marine. Reading is 6.72dk and salifert is 7.2 so not super far off.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did find one thing with the nitrate test that sucks for our purposes and it's that the minimum number the unit can read is 3ppm. So if you have no3 less than that it will just read low instead of a number. I called sensafe and told them that for reef tanks more resolution is really needed and they currently are testing a new version of the no3 test which has more resolution on the low side.

Now while it's not a big deal for me as all I care about is having no3 vs it being 0 it can be a drag for those who chase numbers. I realized though that if you have 0 nitrate the sample will be clear after the 10 mins test. If you have even the slightest no3 it will be pink.

Other than that I am incredibly happy with the unit. Plus the iron and other trace element test is coming out soon so I will be able to do a semi quasi triton test once a month with the major trace elements.

C Hawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gus6464,

Thank you for your reply. I will once again attempt to improve my technique given your inputs. But I may test ALK with another kit other than hanna just for grins. I am happy with idip as well and hope they approve upon and add to their current algorithms.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back