External Skimmer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bobbravo2

Bob from Boston
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 gallon, with plans for 150. I'm looking to externalize my skimmer to increase refugium space. Would you recommend the apf800, or tc1655, or are they both massively oversized?

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi there

Well that's a great question. I would first have to ask, how badly do you feel you need the fuge and is your primary purpose for it nutrient reduction?

mckinleyw

AIRBORNE REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running a reef optopus external 3000ext rated for 250 gal aquariums. Running on my 50 gal.

OP
OP
bobbravo2

bobbravo2

Bob from Boston
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there

Well that's a great question. I would first have to ask, how badly do you feel you need the fuge and is your primary purpose for it nutrient reduction?

Im using it for primarily for biodiversity - nutrient export is a secondary.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Im using it for primarily for biodiversity - nutrient export is a secondary.

ok very cool So yeah the ap800 would be pretty oversized on 120 but It may still be the best choice. Out of curiosity, about how much space have you got designated as fuge, eliminating the internal skimmer. The footprints on the are pretty small actually . It may not be so intrusive depending on how much space you've got to work with I suppose.

OP
OP
bobbravo2

bobbravo2

Bob from Boston
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 65 gallon right now, with a 20L sump. Here's the space restraint, and the reason I'm thinking external

Image1484752027.367016.jpg

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's a 65 gallon right now, with a 20L sump. Here's the space restraint, and the reason I'm thinking external

Image1484752027.367016.jpg

yeah, Ill agree with you on that one. that's a crowded sump id say for sure. Thanks for the pic. I think you can fit the ap800 in the spot on the right side by that leak detector ill bet with a little bit of finesse. With some room to spare even.

let me know if you have any other questions at all, or would like to go over any details or specifics.

OP
OP
bobbravo2

bobbravo2

Bob from Boston
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, Ill agree with you on that one. that's a crowded sump id say for sure. Thanks for the pic. I think you can fit the ap800 in the spot on the right side by that leak detector ill bet with a little bit of finesse. With some room to spare even.

let me know if you have any other questions at all, or would like to go over any details or specifics.

You don't think it'll be intermittently skimming on a 65? Space isn't a concern as I want to mount it visibly on top of a nearby cabinet, freeing up all that space down there, and making cleaning easier

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You don't think it'll be intermittently skimming on a 65? Space isn't a concern as I want to mount it visibly on top of a nearby cabinet, freeing up all that space down there, and making cleaning easier

It may actually, but you could throttle back the feed pump if that happened. It would skim a little drier but would be more consistent. I ran an old ap500 on my qt system of a 30 and one 40 breeder and it didn't skim much, but I had no fish in there and did large WC's every time i got new coral in. lol I took it off after a couple years

But, if you were eventually going to upgrade to a 150 then you'd be closer to a really good fit for the 800.

OP
OP
bobbravo2

bobbravo2

Bob from Boston
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may actually, but you could throttle back the feed pump if that happened. It would skim a little drier but would be more consistent. I ran an old ap500 on my qt system of a 30 and one 40 breeder and it didn't skim much, but I had no fish in there and did large WC's every time i got new coral in. lol I took it off after a couple years

But, if you were eventually going to upgrade to a 150 then you'd be closer to a really good fit for the 800.

Thank you! I'm planning on feeding it with the effluent from a bio pellet reactor, so that'll work nicely.

Last question - does it use US fittings, or do I need metric->us adapters?

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok yeah that will give you some more tuning capabilities then I'd say. And the fitting are US for sure. I believe 3/4 inch in and 1 nch out. Will be a snap to plumb.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back