Fallow to March 26, 2017

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, but I think I'm there with the copper level. The clowns Cu level (right) is lower than the tangs (left), but it looks therapeutic to me. I'm seeing the tangs as being 2.0 and the clowns at about 1.5. What do you think?

01-13-17-jpg.458685
011317-jpg.458686

Could one of the experienced members please confirm the proper way to read the API copper test kit? I think you need to raise the vial 1/2" or so above the paper card so light enters from the bottom in order to get the correct color match. Their instructions read, "Hold the test tube upright over the white area on the color card and view the color of the solution by looking down from above." Am I wrong?

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could one of the experienced members please confirm the proper way to read the API copper test kit? I think you need to raise the vial 1/2" or so above the paper card so light enters from the bottom in order to get the correct color match. Their instructions read, "Hold the test tube upright over the white area on the color card and view the color of the solution by looking down from above." Am I wrong?

I looked into it a bit. Although I think the instructions are terribly nebulous, what I've been able to find online, you're correct. I'll run the tests again and report the results.

Thank you.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into it a bit. Although I think the instructions are terribly nebulous, what I've been able to find online, you're correct. I'll run the tests again and report the results.

Thank you.
Thank you. I am dealing with a similar challenge and learning. Three fish in QT with Coppersafe while the DT is fallow.

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After retesting, I've come to the conclusion that the Cu level was not up to par. I added another 5mL of Coppersafe and I'll test again in the morning. I honestly didn't see a huge difference in the colors between sitting on the card vs. sitting above it. Enough to add more Cu, though.

I picked up some Seachem garlic and some different pellets. I stepped back from the tang tank after tossing in some of the new stuff and almost squealed like a 14 year old girl when I saw Tecumseh voraciously chow them down. As I said before, I knew he was still eating, but it just wasn't with his usual gusto.

I went ahead and dosed some mysis with the garlic just because I was curious. Neat stuff. The clowns sure seemed to think it was delicious. So I think I'll hold on to the Selcon until after this fiasco is over. I don't want anyone losing weight just because the copper makes things taste gross. I can relate, too. If you've ever been on metronidazole you know that after a few days of being on it your mouth starts to taste like you've been sucking on copper pennies. Bleah. So I imagine swimming in copper and I'm betting it makes a lot of things taste nasty. Ooh, I wonder if metronidazole makes things taste gross to fish, too.

Dang it. This time I was at my lfs where I get most of my stuff and he had a pair of clarkii clowns. Yep, I think I need them. I'm going to ask the owner to order me a pair around the end of Feb. beginning of March. That is...if things go as planned.

So here's a few reef related projects I have planned over the next 10+ weeks. There will be a break from Feb. 3rd to Feb. 9th while I'm in Orlando for the NAVC

1. Set up the 10g for coral quarantine. As mentioned a million and one times, I'm dropping by WWC during the convention and placing an order with them to be delivered after I get home.
2. Setting up and plumbing in a refugium for the 29g. Eventually the 29g will be a refugium for a 60g cube that I hope to get.
3. Finding or building a cabinet or shelving for supply storage. I really hate not being able to find things inside a black cabinet the size of a bread box.

Edit to add: I forgot #4. Velcro & screen in the egg crate over the 55. Tragic story: my husband wanted more than anything a blue spot jawfish. We got the egg crate so that he could. Well, we did not know that one could and would wiggle through those 1/4" holes and 3 days after we got him he was fish jerky. I felt so awful for my husband. He really adored that goofy fish. So, I figured out how to make it so that there will be NO HOLES to wiggle through, not even a 1/16th of an inch and while he makes caves and buys stones for his jawfish, I'll be closing up everything so he won't lose, "Ackbar 2" when we get him later this spring.

Non-reef related: I've been neglecting my pottery and I really need to throw some bowls and mugs. :p

Last edited:

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested this morning.
I DON'T KNOW ANYMORE!! I do not like this stupid test kit! I think I'm at the start of 30 days.

1-15-17 CT.jpg
TT 1-15-17.jpg

I think you are in the therapeutic range. How much Coppersafe have you added compared to what expected for the given tank volume? That is--measured volume.

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 21mL in the tangs and 22mL in clowns since Monday.

The bottle says I need to add a total of 25mL, but I don't feel comfortable with that especially considering that the instructions says to add that much copper all at once.o_O:eek:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty new to this hobby - of lifestyle really, set up my first tank in July. I have been through your hell. I got ich and lost 10 of my 12 fish. I just finished my fallow period at Christmas, and added my foxface to the DT - much to my dismay, I had added him immediately after the copper treatment, and had a scare that he had ich again, as I saw a couple of white spots. Thank GOD they ended up being just pieces of sand and he is now happily enjoying the 120 g tank again. I still have a sailfin in QT - when I found that I really should have left him in copper for 30 days, not 19, and watched for 2 weeks post copper for observation just to make sure no diseases had returned. I have learned the hard way, cut corners not knowing better. I also didn't know that you had to SLOWLY raise the copper level - so I lost a firefish from nuking him - I don't know how the second firefish and the fox and sailfin survived it. I randomly lost the other firefish too. But I was able to save 2 - and ironically, they are my 2 first fish I ever had in my tank. My survivors. I am so happy to have them and "Judy" will go back into DT this weekend. The process SUCKED! But the reward is worth it! I am looking forward to restocking my tank SLOWLY this time and QT EVERY NEW FISH that comes into my house. Thank goodness for this forum and these amazing people. Good luck! I will be following! I hope this encourages you to keep going!! :)

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you! Especially since Mr. @Humblefish just told me I need to keep poor Judy in her QT for 2 more weeks to treat with PraziPro - she's so tired of being in there and now she is all alone! At least he (and of course, I) have their best interest at heart. She has been in QT since the end of September/beginning of October. I feel you.

However 2 things: What kind is he - he is VERY cool! And I LOVE his name! I live in Ohio, and we have the Tecumseh stadium that does the reenactment - we go every year! :)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to get a two spot goby - would I do the starry blenny instead of that? Sorry @Valkyrie - didn't mean to hijack your post - lol!

I would think both would be ok. Especially in your larger tank. OK! Back the regularly scheduled programming ;)

OP
OP
Valkyrie

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*growl* Off work for 3 days and everything goes smoothly with the tanks, go back one day and I get a msg from my husband that one of the clown fish is stuck to the intake filter and obviously dying. I was beside myself since he doesn't know what to do and I'm stuck at work with another 6 hours left to go.

Finally, I tell him to get Belly out of the tank, with just a little of the water and start drip acclimating some fresh NaCl. Of course, it's cold so I retract that instruction. I need warm NaCl and I don't have time to swap out a heater (I have more coming on Wednesday) to warm up the water. I wanted to know if he improved with new water or not. I had one obvious option and one I could convey over the phone. Drip from the 55g. That's the tank they came from and if it helps it'll be worth it. My thought was that no matter what I was going to have to do a water change when I got home if he improved. Is it copper toxicity? Is it ammonia? The ammonia badge has been wonky since I got it and I had no way to test it yet.

An hour later he said Belly seemed to have perked up a bit. Two hours later and he was doing very well. I had to really think this through. I used the water from a tank that is fallow, it's his tank so it's not like there's anything he's getting exposed to that he wasn't exposed to before. But now what? I had a plan.

When I got home I did 50% water change in the 20g. I had my husband take out the heater from the RO supply and put it into one of the 5 gallon jugs with NaCl so it would be warm by the time I got home. Whether it's copper or ammonia, the water change will help. Then I'll re-acclimate Belly to that tank again. But, no copper. If he goes backwards tomorrow I'll do another water change. Once I'm able to get the water stable and I'm able to reliably test for ammonia, I'll start back with the copper.

The tangs and blenny are doing great. No problems with them. So far.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back