FAQ #31: If stirring kalkwasser has negative effects, why are reactors available that do just that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FAQ #31: If stirring kalkwasser has negative effects, why are reactors available that do just that?

When running kalkwasser in an automatic topoff, or DIY dripper system, mixing the kalk after the first initial mix has the negative effect of introducing atmospheric CO2 into the mix essentially reducing the effectiveness of the solution. So why are there kalk reactors designed to stir the media? How have you guys implemented kalkwasser in your systems?

DLuce510

A.D.I.D.A.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love using a stirer. I mainly used it because I run a Calcium reactor. The stirer has a very low rpm, I think 1.5 and runs every 2 hours for 15 minutes. I dont see it as mixing really but more to keep it from turning into a paste where the water cant flow through it. I put 1/8 cup of kalk in a week and let it set for about 18 hours with ATO line disconnected and run into the sump. About once a month I wash it out and put about 3/4 cup in. Super easy.
One super important tips for anyone thinking of a stirer, USE A CHECK VALVE ON THE inlet!
20170106_090341.jpg

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It stirs it very slow and it doesnt release a lot out of the reactor like having kalk in your top off would.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love using a stirer. I mainly used it because I run a Calcium reactor. The stirer has a very low rpm, I think 1.5 and runs every 2 hours for 15 minutes. I dont see it as mixing really but more to keep it from turning into a paste where the water cant flow through it. I put 1/8 cup of kalk in a week and let it set for about 18 hours with ATO line disconnected and run into the sump. About once a month I wash it out and put about 3/4 cup in. Super easy.
One super important tips for anyone thinking of a stirer, USE A CHECK VALVE ON THE inlet!
20170106_090341.jpg

Awesome! Great advice with the check valve!

It stirs it very slow and it doesnt release a lot out of the reactor like having kalk in your top off would.

Like as a mixer versus a stirrer?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back