Filling for 1st time Sump water level

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few very newb questions...i am about a week from filling my tank for the first time. I have a 90 gallon tank with offset overflow box and a trigger 36 sump connected via 2 1" Stockman standpipes draining into filter socks, there's a reef octopus 150int in the same compartment. From there it's onto a Jabeo DC 12000 that will supply two 1" returns with nozzles on them. Will this maintain the proper water level in my sump? When I fill the tank do I just fill the tank or do I fill the sump first? Once the water gets up to the overflow level do I turn the pump in the sump on? What is a good flow level I should maintain for a 90 gallon tank? is there a way to determine gph flowing through returns or should I just rely on 2 jabeo wavemakers to create all the movement? What's the proper water level in the sump?

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fill the tank first and then the sump a little more than the baffles controlling the water in the return pump chamber. When turned on the return pump will settle the water in the sump.

Two 1" Stockmans will do much less flow than a DCT 12000. When you start the pump, put it on the lowest setting first to verify there is enough water. Then ramp up slowly until you still have a small part of the couplings on the stockmans not under water.

As far as flow goes. That is enough flow for filtration, however your coral will need water movement in the tank based upon their type.

FYI, I run a single stockman on a 100 gallon with a DCT6000 on the second lowest setting. This allows for enough flow, but is still silent as the top of the coupling for the stockman is 1/8" below the bottom of the skimming teeth.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thank you. So fill the tank to the where it starts to go into the over flow then out some water in the sump up to the baffles?

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what size the outlet is on the jabeo pumps? So far everything I have purchased is 1" pipe and fittings. Will this work or do I need another size/special fittings?

Fill the tank first and then the sump a little more than the baffles controlling the water in the return pump chamber. When turned on the return pump will settle the water in the sump.

Two 1" Stockmans will do much less flow than a DCT 12000. When you start the pump, put it on the lowest setting first to verify there is enough water. Then ramp up slowly until you still have a small part of the couplings on the stockmans not under water.

As far as flow goes. That is enough flow for filtration, however your coral will need water movement in the tank based upon their type.

FYI, I run a single stockman on a 100 gallon with a DCT6000 on the second lowest setting. This allows for enough flow, but is still silent as the top of the coupling for the stockman is 1/8" below the bottom of the skimming teeth.

MmmmBalf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it makes too much difference exactly how you fill the system, I filled mine from the DT only - filled the tank till it poured over the overflow & into the sump, let each sump compartment fill, overflow etc until the last compartment (with the return pump) was at a level I was happy with. Then turned on the return pump, adjusted flow so the overflow was balanced & topped up the sump level.

I'm not familiar with the exact sump you have, but generally speaking, the level of the sump is determined by the level of the last baffle. You have 3 compartments? Only the compartment with the return pump has a variable level, the other compartments have to fill to the overflow. I think you have an over/under last baffle configuration, is that right? You want the water in the return compartment to be no more than half inch lower that the top of the over baffle (it might have a comb on it). Lower than that & you'll get a trickling noise from the water overflowing the baffle. You could go a little higher - if the water is higher than the bottom of the comb, it won't be surface water overflowing & anything in the middle compartment (that fits through the comb) can flow through easier (pods for example). The return chamber is the one you need to monitor the level for top up of evaporation with fresh water, so mark your operating level once you have the return pump going & the water level is where you want it. You can always adjust the level of the return chamber if it's not how you want it. As long as you mark your initial level so you keep the salinity the same. Always make sure the water level is topped up to the line before doing anything such as water changes etc, or you'll alter the salinity.

Hope all that makes sense :)

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what size the outlet is on the jabeo pumps? So far everything I have purchased is 1" pipe and fittings. Will this work or do I need another size/special fittings?

The DCT 6000 has a 1", but I would think the DCT12000 would have a 1.25"-1.5", however it still may have an optional 1". Either way you can split into 2- 1" after the outlet on the pump. I used the smaller adapter on a M1 conversion kit for the outlet on the DCT6000 because it is British threads so I converted to a slip 1". I think the outlet on a DCT-12000 is 1.5" British threads, but I am not positive. So I think the larger from the ...
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vectr...pter-kit-ecotech-marine.html#tab-full-details
kit would work.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just filled a new tank and did the display first right up to the overflow. Then I filled the sump to right above the baffles. When i turned on the pump, the sump level went down. I added water to the sump to about an 1 1/2" above the return pump and put a label there (pump on water level) so I'd know how much to topoff. Then I turned the pump off. Once all the water drained, I put another label (pump off water level). You should have enough room left over in your sump to catch your entire ATO container of water in case it gets stuck in the on position. Good luck!

Medic58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question. I am a f.n.g too and I have the same set up a 90 gallon rimless and a trigger sump, same skimmer, different pump .I am starting my system in a couple weeks and I was wondering the same question. Great question . Thanks for asking.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed answer. All the answers have explained a lot. If I'm reading right the return section should be a ha;f inch lower than the baffle? When I add an ATO I should add it into the return pump section? I like the idea of having enough room for the entire ato in case of emergency. My ato is only 5 gallons. Hopefully I'll have the room in the sump.

I don't think it makes too much difference exactly how you fill the system, I filled mine from the DT only - filled the tank till it poured over the overflow & into the sump, let each sump compartment fill, overflow etc until the last compartment (with the return pump) was at a level I was happy with. Then turned on the return pump, adjusted flow so the overflow was balanced & topped up the sump level.

I'm not familiar with the exact sump you have, but generally speaking, the level of the sump is determined by the level of the last baffle. You have 3 compartments? Only the compartment with the return pump has a variable level, the other compartments have to fill to the overflow. I think you have an over/under last baffle configuration, is that right? You want the water in the return compartment to be no more than half inch lower that the top of the over baffle (it might have a comb on it). Lower than that & you'll get a trickling noise from the water overflowing the baffle. You could go a little higher - if the water is higher than the bottom of the comb, it won't be surface water overflowing & anything in the middle compartment (that fits through the comb) can flow through easier (pods for example). The return chamber is the one you need to monitor the level for top up of evaporation with fresh water, so mark your operating level once you have the return pump going & the water level is where you want it. You can always adjust the level of the return chamber if it's not how you want it. As long as you mark your initial level so you keep the salinity the same. Always make sure the water level is topped up to the line before doing anything such as water changes etc, or you'll alter the salinity.

Hope all that makes sense :)

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed answer. All the answers have explained a lot. If I'm reading right the return section should be a ha;f inch lower than the baffle? When I add an ATO I should add it into the return pump section? I like the idea of having enough room for the entire ato in case of emergency. My ato is only 5 gallons. Hopefully I'll have the room in the sump.
Yes the ATO should pump into the return section because that's where you'll see the evaporation. The baffle for the skimmer should be set at the height recommended for that skimmer. The return baffle should be lower but I don't think there's a set rule about how much. It should be high enough to keep your return pump underwater even with a little evaporation.

Back