Filter Pads on Filter for QT.....Carbon???

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the fish losses I had from a cucumber nuking my tank, I'm in the process of setting up a 55 gallon QT tank to hold multiple fish. I have an older Marineland Penguin 350 filter and was about to order up new filter pads and noticed that they contain carbon. Isn't that going to be an issue....especially with running prazi...not sure what it will do if I need to run copper.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're dosing Prazi or running copper, yeah ... the carbon isn't what you need. The Penguins use a cartridge, IIRC - two pads with a bit of carbon sandwiched in between. You could probably open that up and pull the carbon out . . .

~Bruce

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple sponges to house bacteria would be ideal. The ability to run carbon if needed is always a plus, but not something you would do on the regular.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of cutting out the carbon from the conventional filter pads, I'm opting for Drs. F&S brand of generic filter pads. I figure I can throw this in my DT/sump and allow them to build up some bacteria for a couple weeks before putting them in the filter for the QT.......pretty cheap too, and I'm liking that!

p-82367-82666-BlueFilterPad.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of cutting out the carbon from the conventional filter pads, I'm opting for Drs. F&S brand of generic filter pads. I figure I can throw this in my DT/sump and allow them to build up some bacteria for a couple weeks before putting them in the filter for the QT.......pretty cheap too, and I'm liking that!

p-82367-82666-BlueFilterPad.jpg

Perfect!

lauderdalestunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone use the pads with orange instead or blue? My painters use them in their spray booth and was tempted as cheaper alternative to the LFS blue white pads. I imagine it's a difference in micron filtration it haven't done the research.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone use the pads with orange instead or blue? My painters use them in their spray booth and was tempted as cheaper alternative to the LFS blue white pads. I imagine it's a difference in micron filtration it haven't done the research.
Careful with the orange pads, orange generally indicates a tacified filter and the glue can be toxic.

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I want to use the sponge first from my DT if it has some disease in there? If not where should I get the bacteria from?

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two cents: If it's a QT, I'd hope your DT was disease free. If it's a hospital tank, (your DT has the "disease"), you're going to be treating that disease anyway. So either way, use the sponge/bacteria from your DT. Otherwise, use newly made saltwater in the QT and seed the sponge with BioSpira or Dr. Tim's One and Only.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your DT has a disease, then I would avoid using anything from it on your QT. Even if you are going to be treating sick fish from the DT, it's best to start your QT "sterile" to avoid compounding the problem. For example, let's say you are slowly raising Cu in QT to treat for ich or velvet. If more free swimmers are in the sponge or get released from a tomont embedded in that sponge, before copper reaches therapeutic, then that means your fish will subjected to more trophonts vs. if you had just put him in a sterile QT.

When battling fish diseases, any little thing you can turn to your advantage can make the difference between life and death.

The workaround for this dilemma is to seed your sponge using Bio-Spira, Seachem Stability or Dr Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria as suggested by @redfishbluefish.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back