Filter Socks... What am I doing wrong?

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started my new Reefer 250 1/1/16, and haven't gone 12 hours without needing to clean the socks. Is this normal? I was originally pouring the socks out into the sump, then washing in the washing machine, hot, double rinse, dab of bleach. Then I started washing them in the sink once every couple of hours on the weekends. Now I slowly drain them and squeeze the water out of them and clean them in the sink or washer. But still can't go a day without them over flowing.... They are the 225 micron ones, I feed a small amount of pellets in the morning and in the evening a frozen food, I shut off the return for both feedings.

What am I doing wrong? I initially thought it was just crap from the new live sand, but now I'm not sure...

Salt

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your flow might be too fast for it to have time to work through the filter sock.... if that makes sense. Mine is the same way and usually I dont run a filter sock at all because of that. I could turn it down, but really.... I just dont want to.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you saying cleaning socks after every 12/24 hours???:eek:
I run socks and my system is not too clean by I need to change after 3 days so twice a week at the most. Mine are 200 microns. While you are cleaning the socks do you see residual food or something other than food? From your write up it look you clean them well so there is no other reason for them to clog within 24 hour......Hope your water is clean and you use RO/DI water:D. Did you try slow flow rate like @melypr1985 suggested or may try some brand new socks...

Salty0331

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think melypr might be spot on it.....flow may be to fast on the drain.....you have a ball valve on the drain right? Try adjusting it to slow her down a bit. Another benefit to this is a quieter system:)

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think melypr might be spot on it.....flow may be to fast on the drain.....you have a ball valve on the drain right? Try adjusting it to slow her down a bit. Another benefit to this is a quieter system:)

Ya, I have my Jebao at about 50% I'll lower it down and see if it makes a difference. It's dead silent since it has the fancy red sea valve on it.

Salt

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying cleaning socks after every 12/24 hours???:eek:
I run socks and my system is not too clean by I need to change after 3 days so twice a week at the most. Mine are 200 microns. While you are cleaning the socks do you see residual food or something other than food? From your write up it look you clean them well so there is no other reason for them to clog within 24 hour......Hope your water is clean and you use RO/DI water:D. Did you try slow flow rate like @melypr1985 suggested or may try some brand new socks...

These were brand new when I got them, not much to see at the bottom of the socks. Yes I use rodi.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your flow might be too fast for it to have time to work through the filter sock.... if that makes sense. Mine is the same way and usually I dont run a filter sock at all because of that. I could turn it down, but really.... I just dont want to.

Thanks, that was my last resort I'll try it.

Salt

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, currently running it at it's slowest, I washed my socks at 8, so they were already in for about 2 hours and overflowing, they are still overflowing. I'll wash them tomorrow and see how long it lasts with the pump turned down. The pump is at it's lowest setting (Jebao DCT-4000)

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey when you take out your socks are those really dirty or just a bit? If they get dirty within 2 hours then your system has some really bad water otherwise its not possible.Then you need to check your water quality. Are you changing the socks because they are dirty and clogged or because they are overflowing? What you put in the water other than foods? Are all your parameters good?

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never liked filter socks as they always overflow for me to I have taken the plastic ring off of them and sowed them to the mesh filter bags for like carbon and stuff. Those work pretty well but don't get particles as small as the actual socks but I don't worry about it. Its food for small critters and corals.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ok, currently running it at it's slowest, I washed my socks at 8, so they were already in for about 2 hours and overflowing, they are still overflowing. I'll wash them tomorrow and see how long it lasts with the pump turned down. The pump is at it's lowest setting (Jebao DCT-4000)
Hey dont worry about it, i started my reefer 450 in august and for about 2 3 months my socks would clog in a day( real reef and live sand), Give it some time. In the meantime i started running the 225 mesh because it takes a quick rinse to clean and ill run the felt 4/5 days every 2 weeks and it takes about the same amount of time to clog them as i refill my topoff (every 3 days) enjoy!

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey when you take out your socks are those really dirty or just a bit? If they get dirty within 2 hours then your system has some really bad water otherwise its not possible.Then you need to check your water quality. Are you changing the socks because they are dirty and clogged or because they are overflowing? What you put in the water other than foods? Are all your parameters good?

They aren't that dirty, but enough to cause them to overflow. I did put in 60lb of fiji pink, so my fish/sand sifters have stirred up alot of the crap dust. But I think I'm to the point where most of that is gone, not sure what is clogging them now.

Salt

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey dont worry about it, i started my reefer 450 in august and for about 2 3 months my socks would clog in a day( real reef and live sand), Give it some time. In the meantime i started running the 225 mesh because it takes a quick rinse to clean and ill run the felt 4/5 days every 2 weeks and it takes about the same amount of time to clog them as i refill my topoff (every 3 days) enjoy!

Thanks, ya I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel, I debate on taking them out, but it just looks so much better when they are doing their job.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
They aren't that dirty, but enough to cause them to overflow. I did put in 60lb of fiji pink, so my fish/sand sifters have stirred up alot of the crap dust. But I think I'm to the point where most of that is gone, not sure what is clogging them now.

Salt
Yea mine turned tanish gray and would overflow real quick. The red sea filter socks are really thick and efficient, If you decide to take them out and spare them (i had to throwout my first pair because even though they are cleaned they clog quickly) make sure just to rinse the bubbletrap sponge

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea mine turned tanish gray and would overflow real quick. The red sea filter socks are really thick and efficient, If you decide to take them out and spare them (i had to throwout my first pair because even though they are cleaned they clog quickly) make sure just to rinse the bubbletrap sponge

Something I never thought of before, could the fine dust that came with the sand clog the socks permanently? Maybe I should pick up an extra set and see how it goes.

Salt

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having the same problem with my filter socks, but mine usually last a few days. It's really annoying. Thinking about taking them out all together, trying one last H2o2 cleanse before I give up on them.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im having the same problem with my filter socks, but mine usually last a few days. It's really annoying. Thinking about taking them out all together, trying one last H2o2 cleanse before I give up on them.

I feel ya try not going 4 hours, my 12 hour is basically bc I went to sleep... But that polished water look is worth it to me so far.

Salt

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 200 M for when I'm messing around in tank and stir up debris and want to clear it out. I only get @ 3 days on a 200. I then use a mess sock that I clean out once a week. That may be an option for you if you want to run a sock in your sump.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back