Finally Stable and in control!

Brewman1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after about 6 months of trying to get my tank back under control since the summer time crash which i believe was mostly caused from kalk in my ato and high heat issues, it has finally reached that point of excellence.

After weekly water changes and vigorous cleanings the tank is finally at a great spot. I changed salt to AF reef salt, kept up with gfo and carbon changes. I had started to dose bacteria back in the fall and noticed cyano and lots of it. After trying to just keep up with it and hope it would pass, it never did. I had decided to stop dosing the bacteria and as soon as I stopped dosing my tank began to look better and cyano recede.

Fast forward to about a month ago, the pump on my skimmer seized and was OOS until i could replace the pump. I pulled the skimmer and let my tank sit without a skinmer for almost a month. During that time i noticed quite a amazing thing. My water became clearer and no more cyano was present. I maintained the tank with weekly water
changes. I replaced the pump on my skimmer and noted that zero skim mate was being produced, with that being said my phosphate was at .02 ppm and nitrate was at around 2 ppm. My water is crystal clear and everything appears very happy.

Some changes i recently made, started to dose AF comp 1,2,3 Balling method and use Phosphate Rx instead of gfo.

Just when i thought it would take forever to have a good return i was proved wrong. This is just in time for the FFM so i can fill it up with frags.

Dan

OP
OP
Brewman1987

Brewman1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0195.JPG IMG_0195.JPG IMG_0197.JPG IMG_0197.JPG IMG_0196.JPG Well I sold my puffer this weekend so now I don't have to worry about corals being nipped at. I also bought some corals from @mannysmusic, about a hour drive to his house and what a great guy to deal with. His tanks looked great and had a huge selection of frags to choose from. Left there with some sps, pls and a softie. Yesterday @143MPCo we fragged a bunch of stuff for the ffm and I picked up a sps mini colony from him.

So far everything I added is loving the tank and getting excellent polyp extension. All I need to do is rearrange the rockscape into something more pleasing.

Renstar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see your tank is doing well! Time to stock up on corals at FFM!

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Dan....

Need to get you running Phyto again, I need to restock!

OP
OP
Brewman1987

Brewman1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a small outbreak of cyano on the rocks and was most likely caused from carbon dosing. After attempting to clean it out with water changes and lights out, i ended up using chemiclean and it did its thing. Zero cyano after the treatment and nothing was lost during treatment. Now post water change and i never really cared for my rock scape so i changed it up. Now all that needs to be done is mount my existing frags and obviously load up tomorrow at the ffm.

20170310_104144.jpg

mannysmusic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love chemiclean. It's farely cheap and it always cleans up the Cyano within a few days. And most important it never seems to harm anything except making the skimmer go crazy LoL

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back