Finding Dory - Blue Tang Problems

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure petco just didn't want to go under any more scrutiny from the saltwater community. If they were to put those fish on sale as dory for a smaller tank,
It would be an all out barrage of attacks from the whole reefing community.
I don't think they can take anymore bad press haha

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Wow 5,000 people viewing this thread good. I hung out at the lfs since the release and believe it or not, not alot of people really payed attention to clowns or hippos. Some just took their kids in to check it out, there was just a handful that gouged interest into starting an aquarium

Fercho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video!

But if i were an LFS owner i would just stop all clown and blue hippo orders completely for about 3 months.
So no matter what, people can't get the fish. But that's just me. It all depends on the mind set and consciousness of each true nature lover.

mbemount

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video!

But if i were an LFS owner i would just stop all clown and blue hippo orders completely for about 3 months.
So no matter what, people can't get the fish. But that's just me. It all depends on the mind set and consciousness of each true nature lover.

That's a little crazy if you ask me. They should be making a conscious effort to not sell to people that can't give the animal a quality home but clowns are generally a top seller for alot of SW fish stores. I just don't think they should kill their sales so a few clowns/tangs don't go out the door that may be have a bad home? I think it comes down to the employees making an informed decision if the customer has the setup ready for it.

bigbadwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I manage the fish department for one location of a large chain pet store whose name ends with "co"... I have stopped ordering blue tangs until this madness dies down because I don't even want to deal with it... I refuse to even entertain the idea of selling one to anyone who calls it "Dory"... Pet store ending in "co" does have lots of signage in the fish dept noting that saltwater fish are not for beginners and that blue tangs require a minimum 125 gallon tank... I even went so far as to make a list of all the equipment and supplies needed to successfully keep a blue tang, complete with pricing... The total came out to over $2,000... I then put a $4.99 'Finding Dory' figurine at the bottom of the sheet as an alternative choice!

JasPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sooo I'm sure this thread has been made a million times but the other day at my job an elderly lady called me and asked if we sold dory fish for her grandson. I explained that we did but that I wouldn't be selling them for the next week due to the movie. She wanted more specifics about the blue tangs we sell and when I said how large they get she asked if we sell any that stay the size of a QUARTER. This lady obviously is out browsing for a blue tang but knows nothing about what she's getting herself into. Anyways! I made a video about blue tangs and tried to explain things like I was talking to a 5 year old.

I'm sure most people on here know about the blue tang but just in case any beginner aquarist are strolling around for a blue tang I highly recommend you look into what exactly you're thinking of getting, and hopefully choose something else haha

So I agree with 99% of what this young lady has said, But at sixty I don't watch cartoons much any more ( unless a road runner cartoon is on). :) But I thought Dory was a hippo tang? In that case I have three that live quiet happily in my kitchen tank for the past year. They school and bicker just before lights out. Fun fish to own-- My tank? its 440 gallons and the two sumps that service it are 120 gallons each. So volume and swimming space is very important. As is the type of coral you use. They seem to like dead coral species they can wedge into at night. finally, as complete a job as this young lady did, I do think she is exaggerating when she says they swim hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of miles each day--- they are not pelagics. They are schooling territory species. IF they swam for 300 miles a day that would equal ( in a ten hour day) 30 miles an hour? ). Most tangs I've seen in the wild ( 30 years of diving all over the world) graze or/and explore the reef. And often work a wall of or sections of dead corals. I'm down with the idea that they might swim 10 miles a day or even 20. But not 200-300. My tank is 8 feet long and 3 feet wide and they are quiet happy to swim in the middle 5-6 feet-- back and forth, back and forth. For what its worth . JR

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in Petco today getting some cat food and walked by the fish department for S&G and they have marked on all of their saltwater tanks all sorts of warnings that salt water fish are not for beginners and that "Dory" grows to 12" long with a diagram of a ruler. And that she needs a large tank, although they said at least a 75 gal. I wanted to correct them but no one was around to talk to. I was surprised that they took the initiative to forewarn people about marine fish and their higher needs to live.

I work at Petco! My manager and I agreed that we won't even sell the blue tangs for the first few weeks after the release.

DannyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These should be sold in all LFSs until the craze passes.
upload_2016-6-20_22-48-31.png

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure petco just didn't want to go under any more scrutiny from the saltwater community. If they were to put those fish on sale as dory for a smaller tank,
It would be an all out barrage of attacks from the whole reefing community.
I don't think they can take anymore bad press haha

Even though I work there I understand most petcos don't do a good job with their saltwater tanks. Since my boyfriend and I run the aquatics
Our fish are in amazing shape though and we never sell them to people who don't know what they're doing. I'm lucky to be working at one of the exceptions of the general attitude at the company. We've got a really good store going

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys please understand I'm talking in layman's terms in this video! a lot of scientific terms and terms only hobbyists would've recognized I skipped out on using and instead used simpler terms that were easier to understand. Due to this, my "examples" may not be 100% on point from your opinion. But my goal wasn't to educate experts, only to keep beginners cautious of blue tangs!

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just today had 3 people request for "dory" fish. This is starting to make me hate my job lol, these customers are testing me. None of them were able to buy one of course

Agamerce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extend your policy! I will make social media to your company/store for excellent work.

dvbrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Points... like over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and this could have been summarized in 30 seconds. Not to mention being shared on a forum where we are all more then likely already informed and are the least of which to need to watch this never end story.
Maybe I didn't get enough sleep...

OP
OP
td3025

td3025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Points... like over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and this could have been summarized in 30 seconds. Not to mention being shared on a forum where we are all more then likely already informed and are the least of which to need to watch this never end story.

It was for beginners who knew nothing about blue tangs, so of course I'm going to not summarize it where they don't really get the idea. I shared it on here to get opinions about people's experiences lately with blue tangs and to start a conversation. No need to be rude about it!

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about you. I like it, but that is just depending on the viewer. After that I went to her channel and watched a bunch of her videos too :) (lack of sleep last night for sure)

Taylor, @td3025, If I watched your video before got into salt water, I doubt if I would be here today. I would have cancelled with the guy I got the 28 gallon JBJ from. He had a blue tang, Maroon and a Mandarin in it (There was a clam but got eaten before I got there). I added 4 more green chromis, a purple fire fish and a yellow tang later.......Trust me I did not know what "tang police" was and I Had no idea what an ATO is for.
I did break down that jbj and the blue tang went to a 125 gallon plus tank. The 4 chromis went to a different 125 gallon tank. The maroon was donated to an 60 gallon tank guy. The Mandarin kicked the bucket before I shut that tank down .......

dvbrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the video too and the reasons behind it... and her face : ) but it was V.ery long winded and quite repetitive.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%

Back