Finnex heater issue

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have this issue. I have a Finnex heater 200 watt stainless steel digital readout that doesn't read exact. The reading is off by 7 degrees Fahrenheit. I just checked it today against a digital thermometer and what i thought is was on 79 degrees was actually 73 degrees. So I began to bump it up 1 degree at a time every 30 minutes until I got it to 76 and the digital readout on the Finnex reads 82.

OP
OP
enzo

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20161217_155005.jpg

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with the heater, but are you sure which thermometer is correct?

When I have a thermometer that reads consistently, but not accurate, I will write the temp difference on it with permanent marker so I remember how to correctly adjust.

With all the advances in technology, you would think it would be easier to make accurate thermometers lol I don't think any of mine read the same temperature. I tend to rely on my Hanna thermometer to spot check and make sure the thermometer in the tank is still reading correctly.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd wonder which one is right. I have three different ways to measure temp. They all read different. The one I trust the most is the one I use to measure meat temps.

OP
OP
enzo

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I used both a dial thermometer and the digital you see above and they are close to each other. Now I know that touching isn't accurate but when I run faucet water into a bowl and get a reading of 79° it's warmer than my tank that reads 79°.

OP
OP
enzo

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought another new heater glass body with a blue dial on top at petco set it to 80 deg. Tested it against 3 other thermometers two read the same the third was off by just a couple of degrees. My point is the cheap heat reads and maintains better the the more expensive Finnex heater.

OP
OP
enzo

enzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup same as mine , how can they be that far off I don't get it.

Themako1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have this issue. I have a Finnex heater 200 watt stainless steel digital readout that doesn't read exact. The reading is off by 7 degrees Fahrenheit. I just checked it today against a digital thermometer and what i thought is was on 79 degrees was actually 73 degrees. So I began to bump it up 1 degree at a time every 30 minutes until I got it to 76 and the digital readout on the Finnex reads 82.
I have two of the same heaters, except the 300 watt ones, and both of mine are off by about the same amount. I have them hooked up to the apex and the heater says 85 and apex 78-79 the heat is consistent though

Themako1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consistency is definitely more important then what the digital control reads out though. I have pretty much a straight like on my apex graph

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consistency is definitely more important then what the digital control reads out though. I have pretty much a straight like on my apex graph

Mine isn't a straight line. It fluctuates between 77.9 and 78.6. I'll call that stable - it's the best we got with this unit. Nothing seems to be upset.

Mikeand Mel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the saddle after 20yr hiatus, this time with my 12yr old daughter. Starting slow in cycling stage of 58g. Been looking for a forum on this subject. Bought the Finnex temp controller and 300w titanium hooked it up and was ready to go. Next morning my controller read 80, my little(new) coral life read 74, temp alert read 76 and glass read 75. Dr F&S sent me new one only to have same problem.
Not sure if I should send back again or just raise temp on controller any suggestions?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to be a general issue with the read outs for these heaters. I have had a 300w for over a year and use my Apex to control the heat. One thing that was suggested when I got back into the hobby was to get a controller for piece of mind. Most heater have a variance from what they are set at too and what they really read. Mine turns on at 78.3 and off at 78.4 and if the tank temp goes over 78.4 the controller shuts of the outlet, and if something does go wrong with the outlet, I get an alarm. That is what I call piece of mind:)

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the saddle after 20yr hiatus, this time with my 12yr old daughter. Starting slow in cycling stage of 58g. Been looking for a forum on this subject. Bought the Finnex temp controller and 300w titanium hooked it up and was ready to go. Next morning my controller read 80, my little(new) coral life read 74, temp alert read 76 and glass read 75. Dr F&S sent me new one only to have same problem.
Not sure if I should send back again or just raise temp on controller any suggestions?

This is normal for finnex heaters I think. I have several of them and they all read high on their display. Seneye and apex and digital thermometer all read lower. Good news is that they are stable when controlled and they seem to last a while. Still you should try to create redundancy in the outlet somewhere. Heaters always fail eventually.

Mikeand Mel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feel more comfortable with redundancy also! The fact that these titanium heaters have no control on them I am relying solely on a controller that is off by 5 degrees. I think I should've purchased a heater with its own control also.

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7580.PNG
Don't let it bother you too much. As you can see from the graph, it's stable. It just reads a little off on its own display.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back