First Fish in!!!! (Now what?)

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcoming 2x small Ocellaris Clowns to the family!

Thanks for all the help getting my tank set up guys! It's been such a blast. Introduced these 2x lil fellas into the 55g today, using the drip acclimation method.

Everything seems to be going well with them, and of course (as always), I'm back here with some questions. The questionable employee at the LFS who didn't seem confident with this advice brings me here.

1) He told me to run w/ the lights off. I just got in my LEDS & set them up before getting these guys.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GFTSV24/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They have a programmable timer, sunset, sunrise, etc blah blah. Should I really be running w/ lights off for now, and if so - how long? When should I finally program my lights & have them cycle daily.

2) He also mentioned to feed every 2x days, about 3-4x pellets per fish. This is what they sold me.
https://www.amazon.com/New-Life-Spectrum-Formula-Sinking/dp/B0002E7IU4
Is that right, or should I be feeding daily?

3)Is there any specific way to feed them? Earlier when I dropped in a few pellets I noticed my power head literally just blew them to the other side of the tank. How do you guys feed your fish? Was it just because they weren't hungry that they didn't rise to the surface, (in addition to the new environment they're trying to get used to)?

4) These little guys are small! Bigger one about 1" (without tail), and smaller one about 1.5cm.
When is a good estimation of when they would 'double' in size? He estimated maybe they are a few months old, but once again he seemed highly questionable with all his answers.

5) Any other questions I should have? So stoked to have them in, and they seem to be doing very well! I know only 6x hours so far, but I'm beyond excited to have them!

Thanks!!!

6NtTjzyfN7IfLVGAkNKGzBF0JkDS0.jpg

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new fish! They look great!

Should I really be running w/ lights off for now, and if so - how long?
I can't think of why you would need to run totally dark... New fish that have been shipped often benefit from a gentle increase in light, but if you got these from the LFS, they shouldn't need as much light acclimation. The normal light cycle should help your bacteria populations continue to establish.

Is that right, or should I be feeding daily?
Lighter feedings to start should help keep your nasties (ammonia, mostly) down. Since you've got a new tank, you'll want to make sure not to overload it with too much. Don't starve the fish, of course, but avoid over-feeding. I've been told that healthy fish can last 3-4 days without being fed and be okay, so while I wouldn't go that long between feedings, every other day should be okay. Just keep an eye on the way that the fish eat; if they gobble it up really quick, go to daily. If they still gobble it up, introduce a second every other or the like. Keep in mind that they have tiny little bellies, so more small feedings are better for your tank than fewer large feedings.

Is there any specific way to feed them?
They'll learn where food comes from eventually, don't worry. To help them along, however, you'll likely want to turn off your powerheads while you feed them. That gives them a nice calm environment to focus on eating rather than having to fight a heavy flow. You should be able to keep your return pump running, however.
Once the pumps are off, I've found that it helps to actually put the pellets below the surface of the water a bit before you release them. If you just sprinkle them on the top, surface tension will keep them above the surface more often than not. By putting them just below the surface level before release, they should enter the water column and drift therein.

When is a good estimation of when they would 'double' in size?
I've had mine for nearly a year now (still new to this myself) and they started about that size. I wouldn't say that they've doubled, I don't think... but they are close. So about a year-ish? Not sure... What's the rush? :)

Any other questions I should have?
Out of curiosity, did you do any sort of quarantine?

So stoked to have them in, and they seem to be doing very well! I know only 6x hours so far, but I'm beyond excited to have them!
Congrats again! I can still recall that feeling of excitement you have right now - there's nothing like the first fish. :)

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new fish! They look great!

I can't think of why you would need to run totally dark... New fish that have been shipped often benefit from a gentle increase in light, but if you got these from the LFS, they shouldn't need as much light acclimation. The normal light cycle should help your bacteria populations continue to establish.

Lighter feedings to start should help keep your nasties (ammonia, mostly) down. Since you've got a new tank, you'll want to make sure not to overload it with too much. Don't starve the fish, of course, but avoid over-feeding. I've been told that healthy fish can last 3-4 days without being fed and be okay, so while I wouldn't go that long between feedings, every other day should be okay. Just keep an eye on the way that the fish eat; if they gobble it up really quick, go to daily. If they still gobble it up, introduce a second every other or the like. Keep in mind that they have tiny little bellies, so more small feedings are better for your tank than fewer large feedings.

They'll learn where food comes from eventually, don't worry. To help them along, however, you'll likely want to turn off your powerheads while you feed them. That gives them a nice calm environment to focus on eating rather than having to fight a heavy flow. You should be able to keep your return pump running, however.
Once the pumps are off, I've found that it helps to actually put the pellets below the surface of the water a bit before you release them. If you just sprinkle them on the top, surface tension will keep them above the surface more often than not. By putting them just below the surface level before release, they should enter the water column and drift therein.

I've had mine for nearly a year now (still new to this myself) and they started about that size. I wouldn't say that they've doubled, I don't think... but they are close. So about a year-ish? Not sure... What's the rush? :)

Out of curiosity, did you do any sort of quarantine?

Congrats again! I can still recall that feeling of excitement you have right now - there's nothing like the first fish. :)

Thanks for all the replies! Yes the excitement is beyond control! haha
I'll def take your advice on the feedings too.

No I did not quarantine them. I know it is highly recommended, but since they were my first fish, I wanted to get them in my main tank. I do plan on setting up a QT tank for future though.

Interesting, right now I did a quick check & turned on the lights, and the lil guy started freaking out...
Swimming vertically in the corners, quick half jump out the water followed by deep dive, was banging into the glass a few times

Took notice to these dots on him as well. Should I be concerned?
6NtYwONHG8fRxD0AodiXuflPoxplm.jpg

Thanks!

Edit: I did notice this guy was getting punked a bit on the ride home by the bigger clown. Perhaps bite marks?

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime the fish goes from total darkness to bright light they will be freaked out. Just try to minimize that stress by using room lighting or slowing increasing the brightness of the tank lighting (if possible).

MmmmBalf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your first fish!

Fish have a sleep pattern so should have a period of light and dark. You don't need the lights on full while you don't have corals but I would definitely have them on for a period. Let it go through the sunrise/sunset.

If your powerhead doesn't have a feed mode, you can turn it off for 10 min or so at feeding time. When you put the pellets in, hold them underwater and release - that should prevent them from floating on the surface (most fish aren't surface eaters).

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your first fish!

Fish have a sleep pattern so should have a period of light and dark. You don't need the lights on full while you don't have corals but I would definitely have them on for a period. Let it go through the sunrise/sunset.

If your powerhead doesn't have a feed mode, you can turn it off for 10 min or so at feeding time. When you put the pellets in, hold them underwater and release - that should prevent them from floating on the surface (most fish aren't surface eaters).
Thanks, I'll do that today and see how they act.

Cheers!

Anytime the fish goes from total darkness to bright light they will be freaked out. Just try to minimize that stress by using room lighting or slowing increasing the brightness of the tank lighting (if possible).
Awesome, yeah they do hav ean automated slow build up cycle, so I have that going now!

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots on the "headband" don't seem to be anything to be worried about. I have a black ice clown that has those spots too. My Mocha clown doesn't. Clowns will act all sorts of odd when first introduced into a tank. They'll settle in after a while.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots on the "headband" don't seem to be anything to be worried about. I have a black ice clown that has those spots too. My Mocha clown doesn't. Clowns will act all sorts of odd when first introduced into a tank. They'll settle in after a while.

That's very reassuring. Thank you.

Today they're doing just fine.. Hanging out in the same spot they were introduced to yesterday xD

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice above (no surprise)! Keep an eye on 'em, but try not to freak out too much about anything. And, of course, don't hesitate to ask questions here.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit: I did notice this guy was getting punked a bit on the ride home by the bigger clown. Perhaps bite marks?
Oh; on this - the bigger one (which will become the female, if it's not already) will do that kind of thing to establish dominance. Shouldn't cause injury, but it'll look kind of like how siblings tussle about sometimes. All normal; give them time to sort themselves out and it'll be okay.
Things to look out for include:
  • Loss of eating. After they settle in and start eating regularly, keep an eye out for this behavior to stop. Fish don't hunger-strike, so if they stop eating something might be wrong. They could also just be full, so Don't Panic. Observe and ask here (photos and videos help).
  • Swimming into powerheads. This can be a sign of some kinds of irritation/illness. It could also just be that the fish is having fun... Again; Don't Panic. Observe and ask (photos and videos help).
  • Heavy breathing. If they look like every breath is a struggle, then that would be "heavy breathing". If they just look like they really want to kiss everything, that's about normal.
  • Unusual movements. Upside down swimming, continuous, extended twitching, etc. Fish don't always act like we normally expect, so what some would consider erratic swimming could be normal. Still; better safe than sorry. Observe and ask.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh; on this - the bigger one (which will become the female, if it's not already) will do that kind of thing to establish dominance. Shouldn't cause injury, but it'll look kind of like how siblings tussle about sometimes. All normal; give them time to sort themselves out and it'll be okay.
Things to look out for include:
  • Loss of eating. After they settle in and start eating regularly, keep an eye out for this behavior to stop. Fish don't hunger-strike, so if they stop eating something might be wrong. They could also just be full, so Don't Panic. Observe and ask here (photos and videos help).
  • Swimming into powerheads. This can be a sign of some kinds of irritation/illness. It could also just be that the fish is having fun... Again; Don't Panic. Observe and ask (photos and videos help).
  • Heavy breathing. If they look like every breath is a struggle, then that would be "heavy breathing". If they just look like they really want to kiss everything, that's about normal.
  • Unusual movements. Upside down swimming, continuous, extended twitching, etc. Fish don't always act like we normally expect, so what some would consider erratic swimming could be normal. Still; better safe than sorry. Observe and ask.
Thanks very much! Yeah that's why I thought it best to introduce them in a pair. They've been together the whole time & hang out together, so that's really awesome to know!
It looked like the dominance thing mainly happened in the bag on the car ride home. & the lil guy was swimming erratically just last night when I turned the lights on. Maybe he had a nightmare LOL
I'll be sure to keep a watchful eye, and thanks for the info!

Great advice above (no surprise)! Keep an eye on 'em, but try not to freak out too much about anything. And, of course, don't hesitate to ask questions here.
Thanks!!

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks very much! Yeah that's why I thought it best to introduce them in a pair. They've been together the whole time & hang out together, so that's really awesome to know!
It looked like the dominance thing mainly happened in the bag on the car ride home. & the lil guy was swimming erratically just last night when I turned the lights on. Maybe he had a nightmare LOL
I'll be sure to keep a watchful eye, and thanks for the info!

Thanks!!

You'll eventually see them face off and shake at one another... then they'll get side to side and shake like crazy. All part of the pairing ritual... we tend to call it a dance. Don't freak when you see it, completely "normal" lol.

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll eventually see them face off and shake at one another... then they'll get side to side and shake like crazy. All part of the pairing ritual... we tend to call it a dance. Don't freak when you see it, completely "normal" lol.
Definitely would have freaked out. Thanks!! haha

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love clownfish! I second what everyone else said. They do a lot of weird things that are normal. The body shaking, swimming in all different directions, that's all part of their charm! Mine likes to 'surf' against the return flow just for fun. He swims like crazy but stays in the same place. I bought a Two Little Fishies magnetic feeder ring that I drop the food into. It keeps it in one place and the food doesn't go straight down the overflow. My clown hangs out inside of it whe he's hungry. He doesn't have to chase his food. Good luck!

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love clownfish! I second what everyone else said. They do a lot of weird things that are normal. The body shaking, swimming in all different directions, that's all part of their charm! Mine likes to 'surf' against the return flow just for fun. He swims like crazy but stays in the same place. I bought a Two Little Fishies magnetic feeder ring that I drop the food into. It keeps it in one place and the food doesn't go straight down the overflow. My clown hangs out inside of it whe he's hungry. He doesn't have to chase his food. Good luck!
Haha awesome!!! They ate pretty good & seem really happy.

Food was falling, grabbed it, took a couple bites, spit it (pebble is way too big for 1x bite)
Fell to the sand, they found it, and kept at it.

Makes me feel good at least they're eating & now happily enjoying the tank :D

Time for observance before any changes / additions! Def need to read up on corals

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Food was falling, grabbed it, took a couple bites, spit it (pebble is way too big for 1x bite)

Time for observance before any changes / additions! Def need to read up on corals
You might want to buy smaller food pellets while they're little so they're easy to get in one bite. Good luck!

biga1106

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had this with some fish my self. What I started doing was soaking the pellets with tank for 30 minutes to an hour before feeding them to soften the pellets and that helped

biga1106

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this with some fish my self. What I started doing was soaking the pellets with tank for 30 minutes to an hour before feeding them to soften the pellets and that helped

Tank water

OP
OP
tutmatt3

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to buy smaller food pellets while they're little so they're easy to get in one bite. Good luck!
Ok, really good to know, thanks! First thought was crushing these, but ya easier to go smaller!
Smart, thanks!!!

Back