First Nano FOWLR Tank - On the Cheap

Harrison Estes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after months of research and being in touch with my LPS, I need some help figuring out the best tank setup. For cheap. Like really cheap. I need nothing bigger than 10 Gallons, but thats pretty much all I am sure of. I also know I am going to stick to LFS and Soft corals, as they are easy to maintain. I have priced live rock and live sand. I just need help with virtually everything else. I know setup and maintenance takes a lot of work, but I am prepared and committed. Any advice will help. Thanks so much.

Last edited:

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money is a factor, I'd wait on the coral and just do fish. Coral takes maintenance to a new level and cost goes up as well. With fish, you don't need expensive lights, and the tank is much easier to take care of. With a 10g though, be aware that you'll probably have room for only two fish. If you stay on top of water changes with a tank that small, I think you're more likely to be successful. Good luck!

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for a skimmer on a tank that small, w/c is all you need. get a cheap hob filter and something to circulate water good. don't let water evap to much also. I've had sps tanks as small as 2 gallons.

OP
OP
Harrison Estes

Harrison Estes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my budget has basically just doubled :) so what is the maximum without a skimmer?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Preferably around $300 including fish. I might be able to squeeze $350
Ok. So you can get a 10g tank at Petco for $10 when they have their Dollar/Gallon sale. Live rock is usually $6-7/lb (at least in South Florida). A bag of live sand is about $15-20. So that's about $100. You'll need some sort of circulation pump for water movement. Check on BRS or Amazon for your tank size. A pump that small shouldn't run much. Hydor has a nano for about $25. I would recommend an auto topoff for a tank that small. Tunze has a nano one for about $95. You can do without an ato but you'll need to topoff several times a day manually because a tank that small will change parameters quickly with evaporation. Now you're at $220. You'll need testing kits. Don't skimp on these. You'll need ammonia, nitrite and nitrate during cycling. After that, you'll continue to test nitrates, alkalinity, temp, Ph, salinity, calcium, magnesium, and phosphates. If you have fish only, you can probably skip alk, ca, and mg. I wouldn't recommend API kits if you're planning on coral. They're not that accurate. I'd suggest a refractometer for salinity. You can get one for about $20-30. Salifert tests run between $15-20 each but they're easy to use and accurate. If you can swing a continuous digital pH monitor, that will make your life easier. I found one by Gain express on Amazon for $40 and it works great. You can get a thermometer for $5 at a lfs. That's about $100 for testing kits/equipment. Now you're at $320. You can get two clownfish for about $30 in many cities. That would put you at $350. So if you drop the ATO, you have about $100 left. You'll need salt mix. Instant Ocean has a bag to make 50g for $15. That will last a long time on a tank your size. You can get a rodi unit (4-stage) from Aquatic Life called the RO buddy for about $80. I have one and it's great for small setups.

I'm sure I've left something out so I hope someone else chimes in. I think you can do fish on this budget but not coral. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!

fishkeeper2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here is an all-in-one option:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Innovati...nnovative_Marine-0I10504-FIAQNCCKTLTN-vi.html

- Innovative Marine 10 gall reef- $199
Free shipping
- includes an overflow. Important for skimming organic film from surface
- includes filter sock for activated carbon
- includes a return pump 92 gall/hr
- LED lighting with mounting for corals, no heat. Good for tank.
- includes hoses

Next, order live sand at petco.com, 10 lbs, about $10. Keeps nitrates more manageable. These accumulate over time.

- heater - cobalt aquatics makes a decent one for $15 on marinedepot

- buy a bag of salt mix at petco, $10

- buy a bottle of biospora. This seeds your bacteria and stabilizes your tank. $10.

You will need a test kit. API saltwater test kit. $25. Upgrade later when you have more cash.

You will need to do water changes and to top off evaporated water with RO water. Get a gallon or two of distilled water from the grocery store and skip the RODI unit.

But a clownfish for $10 and an anemone for $30. Add a live rock or two.

Or keep a bunch of zoa, hermit crab, and a damselfish.
C618E19E-B843-4074-85F9-195DD2AC5D0A-1280-00000108143C4701_tmp.JPG

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love these "on the cheap" builds. That's how I've always done it.
Looking forward to watching this come together!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in South Florida. Maybe that's why. :)

I live in the one place where they should be far cheaper than anywhere else. I'm Aussie! [emoji12]
Anyway, sorry to go so far off topic on your thread Harrison. Good luck with the build!

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use to keep a 2gallon with some rock flowers and softies. With a Fluval nano led and small HOB filter with carbon

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smaller the tank the harder to keep your parameters in check and it takes alot of water changes and eventually you'll want a bigger tank so I would wait until you have a bigger amount of money to spend because this hobby is nice but very addictive that's for sure because the stuff is so pretty

Back