First Tank Plans - Feedback Appreciated

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also get the AI prime HD for lighting. Especially if you plan on getting SPS. Plus it has much more adjustability.

Those things are $250+$30 for a mounts. Not the most budget friendly.

@James Jordan you're probably going to need test kits if you didn't factor that in. Unless your local store test the parameters you're in need of. Some charge.

OP
OP
James Jordan

James Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Frop - I have all the testing materials but they are pretty old. Do those go bad? If so, I do need to pick up another set. You are right about the budget. There's no way it includes that light for this first setup. Lots of things to hope for as I upgrade but I think the black box Chinese light I picked will get me started in the hobby.

@nanoreefer562 - Can you explain how it has twice the surface area? I am intrigued but I can't see how that is possible. The 20 is 24x15x13 or 360 square inches, the 25 is 24x20x12 or 480 square inches. A total of 33% more space. Even factoring in the partitioned area, the 20 is 24x12x13 or 288 square inches and the 25 is 24x17x12 or 408 square inches. A total of 42% more space. I am trying to stay budget friendly but if it is worth the $50 to buy the 25 lagoon I would reconsider my stand choice and look at something else.

OP
OP
James Jordan

James Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been a few weeks since my last post but I have spent a lot of time scouring my local Craigslist based on something @Frop said, looking for a sweet deal. Today I pulled the trigger and made a purchase. I bought a brand new (never used) Innovative Marine 38. I was able to get it at a steal so I have about $600 left in the budget. That's huge because it should allow me to buy a better light than I had planned. Unfortunately I think at 38 gallons I need a skimmer now and need to change my stand. Either way, the price on the aquarium was too sweet to pass up. I do think 20 gallons might have been too small now so @nanoreefer562 was right!

Pics below...
hPvsLw5.jpg

73pRjHL.jpg

ObkaNRW.jpg

So now I have a few things to buy. It's getting serious at this point! I have decided I want it be a Zoa/Softies tank. Something easier to take care that should set me up for a decent success.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's been a few weeks since my last post but I have spent a lot of time scouring my local Craigslist based on something @Frop said, looking for a sweet deal. Today I pulled the trigger and made a purchase. I bought a brand new (never used) Innovative Marine 38. I was able to get it at a steal so I have about $600 left in the budget. That's huge because it should allow me to buy a better light than I had planned. Unfortunately I think at 38 gallons I need a skimmer now and need to change my stand. Either way, the price on the aquarium was too sweet to pass up. I do think 20 gallons might have been too small now so @nanoreefer562 was right!

Pics below...
hPvsLw5.jpg

73pRjHL.jpg

ObkaNRW.jpg

So now I have a few things to buy. It's getting serious at this point! I have decided I want it be a Zoa/Softies tank. Something easier to take care that should set me up for a decent success.

Nice! Glad you found something :)

OP
OP
James Jordan

James Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the more I read about the black sand I had decided on the more I hesitate to pull the trigger on it.

Anyone have thoughts on the Tahitian Moon Sand? I read somewhere it may leach chemicals from volcanic rock that I don't want.

OP
OP
James Jordan

James Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I found a great deal on a Tunze Osmolator 3152 ATO on Craigslist that came with a ton of freebies. The guy was getting out of the hobby and wanted it to go to a good home. I paid less than I would have paid for the ATO and he threw in the items below. I will hold on to these and maybe/hopefully do some trades locally for corals. There's a big show coming up in Houston April 1. I am hoping to have my tank up and going by then, cycled, and ready for some beautiful corals! I don't think I need any of this stuff.

I picked up....

ReefSafe Solutions Temperature Controller (do I need this if I get a controller?)
Vertex 4" filter sock holder
2x 4" Purolator 300 micron filters (7-8" long)
MR100ATC refractometer (There were 2 so I took 1 for my use)
Mean Well CLG-150-36A power supply (I think for some DIY LED Kit? I would love feedback here)
LEDs (2x P, 2x B large bulb, 2x B small, 2x G, 3x B CREE, 5x white?, 10x 3W marked 445, 1x bridgelux 30H2000C)
4x Bulkheads
2"x6"x6" water skimmer
unopened 1kg container of Kent superbuffer dKH (expired - should I toss or does it keep?)
RO Buddie RODI (I have a different one already)
2x Timers Woods #50001
Jaebo Wavemaker WP10

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On sand, I highly recommend reef flakes (or mesoflakes) by tropic marin. Premium Aquatics usually carries them. (If you've already got sand, ignore this post). I also think you will probably end up removing the glass lid as it's going to inhibit gas exchange (and also distort your light if it gets dirty). EXCELLENT work on the aquascape! Very cool!

OP
OP
James Jordan

James Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@mdbannister I have not purchased the sand yet, thanks for the heads up. Is Tropic Eden the same thing? Here is what I found... https://premiumaquatics.com/products/tropic-eden-reefflakes-aragonite-sand-30lb.html

As for the top, I didn't realize that. Would a mesh top be a better solution? There is a guy who is selling a mesh top locally for my tank for a reasonable price.
Mesh top is what is most highly recommended. Also, you've got the right product on the sand. I meant Tropic Eden, but wrote Tropic Marin by mistake. :D

OP
OP
James Jordan

James Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought:
  • Tank: Innovative Marine Mini 38 $100
  • Rock: Dry Rock FREE + $10 in supplies
  • Light: Kessil A360 + Controller $300
  • Other: Koralia Spin Nozzle FREE (with ATO)
  • Other: Tunze 3152 ATO $100
  • Heater: Eheim FREE (with ATO)
  • RODI: RO Buddie FREE (with ATO)
To Buy/Acquire:
  • Stand: Cube Unit $40
  • Substrate: See mdbannister post $40
  • Pump 1 (Addition): MJ 1200 $40
  • Media Basket: 1x IM Filter Sock (included) 1x IM 20 Media Basket $25
  • Other: Purigen, Chemi Pure Elite, Filter Floss $40
  • Pump 2: Included Pump FREE
  • Powerhead: 1x Aqueon ACP-700 FREE
  • Other: Mesh Cover FREE
  • Skimmer: NONE
Total Spent $510
Remaining $200

OP
OP
James Jordan

James Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought:
  • Tank: Innovative Marine Mini 38
  • Rock: Dry Rock
  • Light: Kessil A360 + Controller
  • Other: Koralia Spin Nozzle
  • Other: Tunze 3152 ATO
  • Heater: Eheim
  • RODI: RO Buddie
  • Pump 1: Cobalt Aquatics MJ1200
  • Pump 2: Cobalt Aquatics MJ1200
  • Side 1 Filter: 1x IM Filter Sock
  • Side 2 Filter: 1x IM 20 Media Basket
  • Other: Purigen, Chemi Pure Elite, Filter Floss
  • Powerhead: 1x Aqueon ACP-700
  • Substrate: Tropic Eden Reef Flakes Aragonite Sand
To Buy:

• Stand
  • Mesh Top

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Autotopoff.com sells a variety of auto top off units, pumps, and tubing. If I can recall right, you can get by at less than $50. I have used them. They are by no means state of the art but they do work fine.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marco Rocks is great too for dry rock and it's quarried so no organics on it.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend you start the tank with macro algae in some kind of refugium (even just an in tank partition).

the algae will not only help prevent the nuisance algae but consume ammonia, nitrates, co2 and return oxygen and fish food.

So the system will be balanced and stabilized right from the start and forgiving of my type or errors. LOL

Sound like you're off to a good start and getting lotsa advice.

my .02

OP
OP
James Jordan

James Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@beaslbob i actually bought the Refugium tray from intank last night to grow a small ball of chaeto. I'm in need of a light but I absolutely can't stand the stick on fuge light and cutting the back.

I'm thinking ansubmersible light might be what I need and just put it on a timer to run 8 hours a day.

OP
OP
James Jordan

James Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I needed a break from the stand I'm building so I got the RODI setup and bought a box of fritz salt. I found a local shop selling for 39.99 which was the best price I've seen and the only local place I've found.

Great shop but had a hideous coral tank that was mostly an algae tank.

On a positive note my TDS shows 150 out of the tap. 2 ppm after the RODI. From what I read online that's a good number. Going to run it overnight tonight and get enough to mix up a batch

OP
OP
James Jordan

James Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a lot done today. I filled the tank to test for leaks per my wife's demands request. No leaks in the exterior of the tank but there is a small leak in the acrylic between the overflow area and the display area. I've heard this is fairly common due to Innovative Marine not doing a great job of testing them. I bought this tank second hand but it's never seen water. I don't suppose I have any recourse to have it fixed by Innovative Marine at this point.

So... is this a big deal? Does a pinhead sized leak between display and what will be my filter area really matter that much? Should I actually fix it myself (it will look terrible) or just leave it and move on?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back