First timer preparing to fill Reefer 250

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone!

Literal first-timer here, hoping to get some advice before I take the next big step and get my first tank wet! Still have lots of what I'm sure are basic questions, especially since aquarium equipment instructions are interesting to say the least :)

I'll briefly describe the current setup and throw up a few pictures, then end with some of my initial questions. PLEASE feel free to fire away with comments or questions of your own! Criticism is much appreciated since as I said this is my first go and I would desperately like to avoid any leakage, hardwood-floored 9th story lofts and water don't get along so well (not to mention the thick wool rug it sits on!)

Sump Equipment: Reefer 250 with stock sump/ATO (at least for now, would love to eventually plumb the stock ATO for a small refugium/pod farm and upgrade to a simple external DIY 5gal ATO), Vertex Omega 180i skimmer, Water Blaster 3000 return pump (3/4" output adapter with 3/4"x5/8" wye-split reducer, splits to one 5/8" line to return pipe and one 5/8"x1/2" reducer to TLF Phosban Reactor), 1/10HP Arctica Chiller w/ Lifegard 1200(314gph) pump (3x 3/4" outputs reduced to 1/2" line between), Aquatop Titanium Heater 200w.

Lights/Powerhead: 2x Kessil A360WE w/gooseneck mounts and Spectral Controller, 2x MP40wQD.

Sand/LR: CaribSea special grade (80lbs), Real Reef Rock (60 lbs - medium)

Full tank
1ce44f6ee32691571bf3334c59a4a524.jpg

Sump (clear 1/2" lines L->R: chiller pump output, Chiller input, phosban reactor output, phosban reactor input from wye-split w/ TLF-supplied ball valve)
64589a78edc303c33da0824574e8379f.jpg

Return pump chamber overhead detail (chiller/reactor return lines have moved a bit per note below)
d46b819cf637b0a1c0ec29271190e855.jpg

Return pump/phosban reactor Y-split
6b4ab62b01edb9780be07756983bf594.jpg

Chiller input/output (couldn't get the 1/2" hosing as far over the reducer as much as I would have liked)
83951090fd27d51a35dea2af540db87f.jpg

I trimmed the chiller and phosban reactor return lines a bit since these pictures to eliminate some slack (though there is still enough to put them anywhere in the sump), otherwise this is what I've got so far.

And now for the first of many questions!

-Is the TLF stock ball-valve going to be enough to regulate flow to the phosban reactor from the wye-split? The Water Blaster is rated for mid-700's gph, Red Sea suggests 650ish gph for the return line and TLF wants between 20-100gph flow, so I think it should be enough flow overall. Just want to make sure it's not an issue having such different levels of flow in one split with only the one valve.

-Currently I have the chiller and phosban reactor return lines going to the return pump chamber, which also holds the chiller pump. Would anybody suggest a different chamber for either of the returns?

-The heater instructions say it should be both fully submerged and kept vertical but I don't think the water line will be high enough, am I ok putting it in at an angle? Also is the space between the filter socks and skimmer an OK spot for it, or would you suggest somewhere else like the overflow chamber? (Not even sure that's the right name but referring to where the display tank water comes in pre-filter sock, my terminology is still pretty weak.)

-Ended up deciding late to do my own RO/DI setup so it won't arrive until 9/5 or so, would you suggest doing a tap water leak test first or waiting for clean water? And if so would you do a full fill, or just fill the overflow chamber to check for plumbing leaks? If just filling the overflow would work I could also buy a few gallons of fresh water if that's safer then testing with tap (would be using SF tap water if anybody has experience with it). There is also a little bit of dust/debris around the edges of both the tank and sump from the ongoing assembly, so wondering if it needs a clean out fill anyway or if it will all filter in the first week of running empty to break in the skimmer.

-Any general thoughts on if the chiller and return pump placements/alignment/etc.

Keep in mind I'm in no rush so time is not a factor, just want to do this properly and maximise my odds of successfully keeping happy animals. If anything needs clarifying or you have general questions fire away, otherwise thanks again for any advice or comments!

Cheers,
DT Prime

OP
OP
DT Prime

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, if he has any tips send him my way! I would definitely say I'm happy with the overall look.

OP
OP
DT Prime

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the ato right away. You will hate the one it comes with

Yikes, that bad huh? Do you say that from a functional standpoint or just maintenance? I know it only lasts a couple days but figured it'd be ok for the first few weeks while breaking in the skimmer and such. If you have any recommendations for replacing it please let me know, LFS owner suggested an aqua lifter and 5 gallon jug but I haven't looked too deep into it yet so only have a vague idea how it would set up.

Thanks for your comment!

Cabo31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Besides that you have to fill it every other day; it gets clogged a lot. When it clogs it can throw off your salinity. Not dependable and I would replace as quickly as you can. It was one of the best investments I made for my tank. I purchased the tunzs 3155 and I am extremely happy. I also purchased a 7 gallon reservoir, but the bigger the better.

OP
OP
DT Prime

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides that you have to fill it every other day; it gets clogged a lot. When it clogs it can throw off your salinity. Not dependable and I would replace as quickly as you can. It was one of the best investments I made for my tank. I purchased the tunzs 3155 and I am extremely happy. I also purchased a 7 gallon reservoir, but the bigger the better.
That's unfortunate. Thanks for the rec, I've seen a lot of people suggest the tunze as well but was hoping to get away with the stock awhile and replenish the ol' tank fund, which has of course already been overdrawn :)

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could manually top off each day.

Bbaz123456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLEASE don't fill that tank!!!!!!!!
With the vortechs in there....haha

OP
OP
DT Prime

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No thoughts from anybody on the chiller return line or heater set up huh? Going to pick up RO/DI system and rock tomorrow hopefully (and if not for sure Wednesday) and then will post some more of the gazillion questions I have but would love to hear any more feedback before I get it wet!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tlf valve should be enough, you'll just need to test it.

My opinion - if you need a chiller then turn up your ac! but I would have the return lines upstream. when you get an ato system the sensor/float valve will be in your return chamber and you don't want anything to disturb the water line except for evaporation.

I've kept my heaters at an angle without any issues. take caution though as the manufacturer want them vertical for some reason.

Test with rodi water.

Did I miss anything? :)

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a bad idea to turn that small ATO reservoir into a refugium, lots have done it including myself. This is what I made but cracked it due to some dumb mistake and now having it made in acrylic by someone local, should be here Friday

refugium.jpg

20160901_202951.jpg

OP
OP
DT Prime

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tlf valve should be enough, you'll just need to test it.

My opinion - if you need a chiller then turn up your ac! but I would have the return lines upstream. when you get an ato system the sensor/float valve will be in your return chamber and you don't want anything to disturb the water line except for evaporation.

I've kept my heaters at an angle without any issues. take caution though as the manufacturer want them vertical for some reason.

Test with rodi water.

Did I miss anything? :)
Unfortunately we have no AC, a constant source of disappointment to my girlfriend haha. That said my apartment never really gets out side of the mid 70's especially in the room where the tank in, and worst I've seen so far is high 60's/low 80's on a few extremely hot or cold days (one of the many reasons I love San Francisco).

So you'd throw the chiller and reactor returns in the sump chamber, where I am at least currently planning to keep the heater as well, or would you go with the drainage chamber pre-filter sock?

OP
OP
DT Prime

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a bad idea to turn that small ATO reservoir into a refugium, lots have done it including myself. This is what I made but cracked it due to some dumb mistake and now having it made in acrylic by someone local, should be here Friday

refugium.jpg

20160901_202951.jpg
Definitely hoping to do something like this at some point, haven't drilled glass before so should be fun! And yes the omega 180 is probably overkill but a local guy who builds tanks professionally thought it would be fine and there was no money in it for him, so I'm hoping it's not wasted overkill. A guy in another thread mentioned he thought I would have a hard time dialing it in so also hoping that turns out not to be the case, couldn't really find a good consensus on using over-sized skimmers one way or the other so I'm sure like most things it all depends on your specific tank. Fingers crossed it works for mine!

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely hoping to do something like this at some point, haven't drilled glass before so should be fun! And yes the omega 180 is probably overkill but a local guy who builds tanks professionally thought it would be fine and there was no money in it for him, so I'm hoping it's not wasted overkill. A guy in another thread mentioned he thought I would have a hard time dialing it in so also hoping that turns out not to be the case, couldn't really find a good consensus on using over-sized skimmers one way or the other so I'm sure like most things it all depends on your specific tank. Fingers crossed it works for mine!
Worse case scenario you can trade them up for a 150. I could use an upgrade so let me know how it works out for ya. Also, I see you have the same dosing containers as mine, did you read the reviews on them? It did have a strong foul odor so I soaked mine in 70/30 vinegar for 24 hours to rid of the smell

OP
OP
DT Prime

DT Prime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worse case scenario you can trade them up for a 150. I could use an upgrade so let me know how it works out for ya. Also, I see you have the same dosing containers as mine, did you read the reviews on them? It did have a strong foul odor so I soaked mine in 70/30 vinegar for 24 hours to rid of the smell
Yeah I saw a few people say that but mine had no bad smell in the containers, the tubing was a bit stenchly but I wasn't gonna use it anyway cuz I wanted clear. Branespikin also has the same one and his apparently didn't smell either so not sure what the discrepancy is, did yours by chance have the tubing inside when it shipped?

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I saw a few people say that but mine had no bad smell in the containers, the tubing was a bit stenchly but I wasn't gonna use it anyway cuz I wanted clear. Branespikin also has the same one and his apparently didn't smell either so not sure what the discrepancy is, did yours by chance have the tubing inside when it shipped?
Yes, unfortunately

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back