Fish dieing

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two fish died in the last past 10 days. Male swallow tail angel and a naso tang. Swimming around, just slowed down and stopped eating. No signs of any disease. Haven't had to much luck QT ing fish either. Past 3 did not make past the first week. One was a large sailfin tang. Very bummed.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last fish/coral/invert added to your tank? Any behavioral symptoms of disease: labored breathing, head twitching, scratching, yawning? Swimming into the flow of a powerhead or purposely staying out of the light?

OP
OP
dieselkeeper

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish became inactive, not swimming around a lot. But would come to eat. Not very much, but did eat every day. No scratching or head twitch. Seemed healthy and fat. Just found then dead when the lights came on. Temps are constant, 78-81 degrees, using heaters and chiller.

Three and a half year old SPS dominate reef.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish became inactive, not swimming around a lot. But would come to eat. Not very much, but did eat every day. No scratching or head twitch. Seemed healthy and fat. Just found then dead when the lights came on. Temps are constant, 78-81 degrees, using heaters and chiller.

Three and a half year old SPS dominate reef.

Did either of them have a red discoloration on the body or gills? Or maybe a white patch of scales?

OP
OP
dieselkeeper

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did either of them have a red discoloration on the body or gills? Or maybe a white patch of scales?

No, looked fine until they died. Took a closer look at the angel, looked normal, just dead. Only thing was they both stopped eating.

OP
OP
dieselkeeper

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lyretail anthais is missing. Something is going on here.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lyretail anthais is missing. Something is going on here.

If the others that you found dead had chunks taken out of them then a bad hitchhiker might make sense here. We don't really have much to go off of though. I'm very sorry, but I don't know how much we will be able to help you at this point.

There's always the possibility of velvet. There are strains out there that don't show symptoms before the fish dies from it. Or if it does, they are often missed until many more fish have died from it. I'm leaning this direction right now since the bodies haven't' been mangled.

timnem70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the question asker is not answering ?'s it's hard to diagnose anything. These guys can help. PICS?.
As someone on my local clubs says... if you don't show pic's, it didn't happen.
Not that your fish didn't die, just that without any tank or parameter info... we are dead in the water

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any swimming in to powerheads?

Cryptic behavior?

Hiding from light?

Scratching?

Heavy breathing?

Blotchiness or loss of color?

OP
OP
dieselkeeper

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen one of them hide in the shadows. But would come out to eat. He would swim across for food. Other than that no other symptoms you mention.

OP
OP
dieselkeeper

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the question asker is not answering ?'s it's hard to diagnose anything. These guys can help. PICS?.
As someone on my local clubs says... if you don't show pic's, it didn't happen.
Not that your fish didn't die, just that without any tank or parameter info... we are dead in the water

Sorry, didn't take pics.
220 gal SPS dominate reef. 3 years old. Haven't added a fish in months. Had 16 fish. 30 gal water change monthly. Refugium and GFO. Don't run low nutrient system. What else would you like to know.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, didn't take pics.
220 gal SPS dominate reef. 3 years old. Haven't added a fish in months. Had 16 fish. 30 gal water change monthly. Refugium and GFO. Don't run low nutrient system. What else would you like to know.

This is great. Have you added any CUC, corals or anything wet in general to your tank recently? That would give us a better idea if Velvet is a possibility. Otherwise a hunt for a bad hitchhiker might be in order.

timnem70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta think maybe some sort of physical contamination. Overdose of ATO? Anything coral wise or Inverts missing? Thinking maybe a hidden dead animal causing a major ammonia spike? Cleaning products used?. Look for anything that doesn't make sense as, from your explanation of a 3 year old reef, and a tank that size, it'd take something pretty major to Just occur like this.
I am sorry for your losses. Nothing much worse than not knowing and seeing your pets die.

OP
OP
dieselkeeper

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great. Have you added any CUC, corals or anything wet in general to your tank recently? That would give us a better idea if Velvet is a possibility. Otherwise a hunt for a bad hitchhiker might be in order.

Clean up crew dwindled over the last year. Since the Naso tang went MIA, I ordered and added over 100 hermit crabs, and some emerald crabs to take of the dead tang. The day before he went missing, I noticed he wasn't eating. Didn't think much of it until he disappeared. I was able to remove the angelfish. Neither fish was bullied.

OP
OP
dieselkeeper

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta think maybe some sort of physical contamination. Overdose of ATO? Anything coral wise or Inverts missing? Thinking maybe a hidden dead animal causing a major ammonia spike? Cleaning products used?. Look for anything that doesn't make sense as, from your explanation of a 3 year old reef, and a tank that size, it'd take something pretty major to Just occur like this.
I am sorry for your losses. Nothing much worse than not knowing and seeing your pets die.

I've been reefing for over 15 years now. Family knows about not to spray anything anywhere near the tank. APEX controls the ATO. It can only add 5 gallons at a time, due to the size of my container. All corals are doing great.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back