Fish help for a new (to me) 33 gallon reef tank

audikers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new (to me) 33 gallon reef tank. It is a well established tank so I have already added coral to it. I am going to let it sit for a couple weeks before adding fish. BUT I would like advice on what kinds of fish I can add. It is 33 gallon, but as long and deep as a 50... just not as TALL. Please show me pictures of good fish for this kind of tank! What are your favorites? I know clowns are good. I'm looking for other kinds. Also best shrimps and why?

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new (to me) 33 gallon reef tank. It is a well established tank so I have already added coral to it. I am going to let it sit for a couple weeks before adding fish. BUT I would like advice on what kinds of fish I can add. It is 33 gallon, but as long and deep as a 50... just not as TALL. Please show me pictures of good fish for this kind of tank! What are your favorites? I know clowns are good. I'm looking for other kinds. Also best shrimps and why?
Hi! So I guess I'll add from my experience from my 22g, I know it's not a 33g like yours but most the fish I had and do have now will most likely be a good idea list for a 33g. So before my fish died from velvet, I had six fish in the tank. Two clowns, a damsel, a fancy bass and two purple fire fish. IMO they were the best combo of fish that I could have chosen for my first fish for the tank. Since after the velvet outbreak I now have another two clowns, a yellow clownfish goby (has the best personality and sooo cute to watch), a six line wrasse and the same two purple fire fish. All these fish are in QT right now but all of them get along and all but the wrasse were in my DT before ich but everyone got along. Also I have a peppermint shrimp and skunk shrimp in my tank, the peppermint shrimp helps with my aptasia that pops up here an there and the skunk helps to clean the tank (also they're just cool to watch IMO). But I'll add some pics of the tank from before velvet and also before the ich outbreak. I hope more chime in and give you their opinions, you're in the right place!

IMG_1531.JPG

IMG_1640.JPG

OP
OP
audikers

audikers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! So I guess I'll add from my experience from my 22g, I know it's not a 33g like yours but most the fish I had and do have now will most likely be a good idea list for a 33g. So before my fish died from velvet, I had six fish in the tank. Two clowns, a damsel, a fancy bass and two purple fire fish. IMO they were the best combo of fish that I could have chosen for my first fish for the tank. Since after the velvet outbreak I now have another two clowns, a yellow clownfish goby (has the best personality and sooo cute to watch), a six line wrasse and the same two purple fire fish. All these fish are in QT right now but all of them get along and all but the wrasse were in my DT before ich but everyone got along. Also I have a peppermint shrimp and skunk shrimp in my tank, the peppermint shrimp helps with my aptasia that pops up here an there and the skunk helps to clean the tank (also they're just cool to watch IMO). But I'll add some pics of the tank from before velvet and also before the ich outbreak. I hope more chime in and give you their opinions, you're in the right place!

IMG_1531.JPG

IMG_1640.JPG

I will DEFINITELY be getting a six line wrass. I am told they are great little cleaners themselves. I love those purple fire fish! SO pretty! :) Thanks for the advice!!!!

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will DEFINITELY be getting a six line wrass. I am told they are great little cleaners themselves. I love those purple fire fish! SO pretty! :) Thanks for the advice!!!!
From what I've looked at on the internet I believe they are, and also I think they clean other fish some too.. All my fish in QT go up to him and he like picks at them so I'm assuming he helps clean them but I don't know:confused: lol, and yeah the fire fish have like their own personality too. If you read threads on here, many people have a hard time with them and worry because they hide a lot and they do but mine they just sometimes get scared of my clowns. But since they've been in QT they're not scared at all so who knows.. Also you're very welcome!

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bangaii Cardinal (captive bred)
A blenny/goby (lots of choices there, pick your favorite
If you are thinking shrimp already, a goby/pistol shrimp pair might be up your alley.
A small fairy wrasse or flasher wrasse, but only if you don't get the six line wrasse

OP
OP
audikers

audikers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bangaii Cardinal (captive bred)
A blenny/goby (lots of choices there, pick your favorite
If you are thinking shrimp already, a goby/pistol shrimp pair might be up your alley.
A small fairy wrasse or flasher wrasse, but only if you don't get the six line wrasse

I was actually really considering the goby/pistol shrimp duo. It seemed like a fun pair to have. Also, I do like the cardinals as well :) Will the pistol shrimp be enough of a shrimp? Can i have more than one kind of shrimp?

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually really considering the goby/pistol shrimp duo. It seemed like a fun pair to have. Also, I do like the cardinals as well :) Will the pistol shrimp be enough of a shrimp? Can i have more than one kind of shrimp?
If you consider them I would do some reading up on them first.. I wanted a pair for my 10g that I set up but now it's a QT tank but the goby and shrimp pair are very cool but can be a mess.. The top question people ask about them once they put them in their tank is, when will the shrimp ever stop stirring up my sand bed?! Well in reality he won't stop, ever. I say that because he makes tunnels basically everywhere in the tank, under rocks mostly so that's something to consider about them in the long run, if you don't mind sand everywhere in your tank and tunnels everywhere also under your rock work. There is a thread on here somewhere just about the pair, I think it might be under fish discussion page. I've had Pajama cardinals before in my 50g and even though they don't do much they are kinda cool just to watch since they're so chill lol. And about another shrimp in the tank with a pistol shrimp.. The pistol shrimp doesn't do much as in cleaning the tank if that's what you're looking for.Well I've watched many videos and read up on them and the pistol shrimp in the wild since he is blind basically he relies on his claw to do his killing, the pistol shrimp is the loudest animal in the ocean due to the fact that his claw can kill anything because of how powerful the shock wave can be considering that's why it's called a pistol shrimp.. I'm saying this because I have nooo clue if he will attack another shrimp I've read though where some have killed fish and even CUC, maybe he won't because of the goby with him but everything is possible in a sense. But this hobby is just all about reading, watching videos and just enjoying it in the long run but before adding any fish or corals to your tank you need to read up on them first, I think it's just very important IMO..

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back